| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stage mat?
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 8:09 pm    

Saturday night we had an outdoor gig that turned out to be on a concrete surface. Does anyone carry a large piece of thin carpet or door mat to set their steel on in such occasions? Our drummer had one and until now I had not really thought of it. I don't mind the wood floor of a stage, but it just seemed odd to be right on concrete. And, while it may sound odd, I felt a mat would have "defined my space" amongst the band--does that resonate with anyone else?

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 8:29 pm    

I don't bother with it. I just set up on the concrete, asphalt, floor, packed dirt, et c.
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 9:46 pm     defining personal space on stage

Rick, I think it's a great idea...if you're willing to carry another accessory. I think a "taser" would also work, not to mention, it would fit in your pac-a-seat Evil Twisted

Alaska, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 11:41 pm    

Just remember to keep your shoes on when playing on concrete and everything will be fine.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 8:57 am    

Like Lane, I don't bother with it either. But, if I show up to a gig and it's dirt, I won't play. First, it's hard to adjust your guitar so it doesn't rock. Second, I don't want dirt to make it's way into the undercarriage/changer. I won't play on grass either (the kind that makes lawns or the type you smoke Laughing ). I make it a point to ask the band leader what kind of surface we are going to play on, or have them find out. I used to have a 3/4" thick piece of plywood I could take if I knew ahead of time.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 9:50 am    

I use a desk insert.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/13345709?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000317776&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41914024030&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34953169870&veh=sem

I also have a rug that looks like a flying carpet.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 10:07 am    

I don't have any problems with concrete surface.

I've played a lot of gigs on bare surfaces including the concrete.
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 10:35 am     The Surface.

I've been carrying two pieces of 3/8" plywood, anytime I play outside. It works great for decks, concrete, dirt, grass, or any uneven surface. It's a whole lot easier on the Pac-A-Seat legs to slide back from the steel, to grab my guitar for different songs.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 2:21 pm    

I use a dark green thin rug when needed. Get them at W-Mart. Many sizes to choose from.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 4:28 pm    

I don't care to play on grass. Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth, hope for the best and wait for the gig to end.
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 4:38 pm    

been there done that - I didn’t carry a mat
but one time it was a dusty dirty gravel area
and the guitar keep getting deeper into it -
- I grabbed the floor mats from the car -
they were the flat kind ,that saved the day .
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 4:45 pm     mat

Yep, I carry a mat just big enough for my steel to set on when playing on hardwood floors. Been carrying one since my boots started slipping when playing on hardwood.
terry
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 5:45 pm    

If the concrete is inside, I do not have a problem. But anything outside, I won't take it out of the case, unless it is inside a tent, or a roof covered building. I will not subject my Sho~Bud, to any sunlight. Don't need the the pretty green color to fade.

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 12:19 pm    

Bob Hickish wrote:
been there done that - I didn’t carry a mat
but one time it was a dusty dirty gravel area
and the guitar keep getting deeper into it -
- I grabbed the floor mats from the car -
they were the flat kind ,that saved the day .

That's a good idea, I'll have to remember that one. I have used ashtrays under my legs before, but they're harder to find at venues these days.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 4:59 pm    

My family reunion features picking on the lawn, and most of us prefer my steel to my Dobro. After this last one, with a damp June, I think I'll bring a sheet of plywood for the seat. The Zum dealt well with the terrain, but my seat drilled holes after a few minutes. Perhaps I need to lose some pounds....
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 5:25 pm    

I just recently played a gig outdoors and had to set up on the grass. I took all the floor mats from the car and placed them under the steel and my seat. It kind of helped, but, it was still awkward to play on. At least I didn't get shocked on the rubber mats. Plywood would have been better, but, there was none available.
Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2014 10:40 am    

I play once a month at a cowboy church which is housed in a tent. The floor is pea gravel. The legs of the steel will move, sink and travel a lot in the gravel. Next thing you know you're sitting and playing all catawampus. The other little annoyance is that the gravel will build up under the pedals and you can't push them all the way down.

I built a little folding stage out of 5/8 ply and 2X2s and some cabinet hinges. It works great until you try to move it.... They have a trailer that stays at the site, so I just stash it in the trailer after I'm done with service.

It's not something I would take with me, but for this application it's a must. Down side is....the guitar player keeps wanting to share my stage!

Oh Well

Melbourne, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2014 8:52 am    

If you do these kind of outdoor gigs on a regular basis, and own one of those small, say 4x6 open trailers, you could tow that to the gig and use it as a steel stage. Could rig up a roll out roof on it. Those trailer dollies could get it to the stage area.
Just remember, black trailers will give a better tone.
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2014 7:36 am    

Update: Played a different venue Friday night on a plywood stage, so better than concrete. No knowing, I took with me a black 3x4 indoor/outdoor ribbed doormat and decided to use it even though we weren't on concrete. I loved it, and will not leave home without it from now on. Using the ribbed mat felt more comfortable and avoided having to use any shims (which I always carry 4 of in my seat) for slight adjustments to ensure I'm level; the mat is just thick enough to make up for any floor inconsistencies. And, as a side note, I was able to stake my turf on the stage right after the drummer laid down his drum mat! Winking

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2014 2:49 pm    

Hi Rick! Private message sent.

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 5:05 am    

Heres my stage mat for roads and backyard parties, Its a 20# piece of 3/4 " x 3' x 4'plyywood with outdoor carpet , I would be angry & fatigued without it. The 3/4 doesnt bend at all, Ive even had to level it with 2x4`s when playing down hill, its been rained on, left outside, beer spilled on it, left near porta potties cause thats usually wear they put the band, nobody seems to want to steel it, & fits in the back of my car under everything.
The pic is kinda colorful, Chiks like it.

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2014 5:29 am     mat

I picked up a rubber mat from HomDepot for $19.95, it's about 4x5. I roll it up for storage and takes up very little space. When I take it with me for a gig, I lay it flat in the back of my RAV4 and put every thing on top.

Geo