| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  StroboPlus HD setting?
Cameron Reagin

Douglas, Ga
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 6:29 pm    

Just got my StroboPlus HD tuner in today and I have been looking at the preset PSG tunings but I'm not sure what makes each preset different. I have been using the ClearTune app on my phone and tuning to Jeff Newman's tuning chart, so this tuner is somewhat overwhelming at the moment! From a search here on the forum, it seems that the OE9 Sweetener setting is the preset for Jeff's chart, is that correct? Would this preset be the best one for my StageOne and does it have the correct tuning for both the pedals and the levers?

I haven't been able to register and access the Peterson online library as of yet. My running software is out of date on the computer so I believe that it won't allow for the website to detect that I have it connected to my computer.

Thanks!
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 3:59 am    

I believe that there is an 'SE-9' setting and that should be the Newman preset ('E's' tuned to 442 rather than 440). Whichever preset that you choose however, should be the one that seems to work and sound best to your ears.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 4:54 am    

Every individual guitar will ultimately want a slightly different tuning, due to differing values of cabinet drop and the owner's personal judgment.
All the competing systems are close to each other, and any will work nearly as well as the others.
As you're just starting out, I recommend ANY of them, stick with it, and any sour notes are likely the result of your hands and not the guitar. It takes a while to get good noises out of these things.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 5:51 am    

I'm using the Newman tunings on my D-10 Franklin. I used to use my own compensated Newman settings but tried the stock Newman's and found out they work as good (or better) than my customized Newman settings. I used my customized settings for about 20 years and now the stock Newman's for the last two years.

Instead of the two programs that Peterson has (one for the opens and another for the Pedal/Knee lever change, I have developed a one program for the E9th that covers the opens and pedal/knee lever settings, except for the 4th string E to F# that has to be in a separate program. My settings cover the more popular knee lever changes that were not part of the Newman settings, such as the first string raise a full tone (F# tp G#).

I have a similar program for the C6th that covers the opens and pedals/knee levers in one program, except for the 3rd string C to B lower.

The third program contains the two changes that couldn't be in the E9th or C6th programs.

I've "shared" them with several others and if you want them I can share them with you. You have to be registered with Peterson. Send me an e-mail or PM with your Peterson registered e-mail as I need that to Share.

You can see my Copedent on my web site. www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com
Frank De Vincenzo

The Garden State
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 4:48 pm    

This may help?

PEDAL STEEL GUITAR
SE9: Peterson E9 Pedal Steel Sweetener 1 SE9
SP9: Peterson E9 Pedal and Lever Offsets for SE9
SC6: Peterson C6 Pedal Steel Sweetener
SP6: Peterson Pedal & Lever Offsets for SC6
OE9: Peterson E9 Pedal Steel Sweetener OE9
OP9: Peterson Pedal & Lever for 0E9
EM9: Peterson Emmons Style E9 Pedal Steel Sweetener
EP9: Peterson Emmons Style E9 Pedals & Levers
EM6: Peterson Emmons C6 Pedal Steel Sweetener
EP6: Peterson Emmons C6 Pedals & Levers
U12: Peterson Universal Pedal Steel Sweetener
P12: Peterson Pedal & Lever for Universal Pedal Steel

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 5:16 pm    

I just noticed that nobody answered the main question: what makes them different.
Each set has slightly offsets. Different guitars and different players have slightly different tastes, so they use different numbers.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 2:41 am    

I have a PDF file that Peterson sent me with all the different Steel tunings. It breaks them out with the actual tuning for each string.

I've posted it on my web site. "StroboPlusForSteel"

CLICK HERE

I also have an MSWord list of my StroboPlusHD consolidated Newman tunings into one program for E9th and C6th as previously mentioned. e-mail me if you want that.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 5:49 am    

I use the SE9 setting which matches the Older VSII.