| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What intro would you use ?
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 11:18 am    

On song's you have never heard,,no one has but the singer because he wrote them .

Over the weekend a guy with a brefcase full of song's that he wrote needed a band for an afternoon gig. So i got a call asking if i would play since there not many steel player's in this area & they are all buisy. I got there along with a drummer & a lead guitar guy & a bass player,,none of us had never saw each other or the singer before. The singer looked at me & said i want you to do all the intro's on these song's. Whoa! .Well i told him to pat his foot to give me the tempo. He did & all i knew to do for an intro was the old [Sears Robuck} as we used to call them 1511 turnaround .So i just wondered what you would have played Very Happy
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 2:06 pm    

The juke box?
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 2:12 pm    

ask the singer to sing the last line to you and then use that as your intro...

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 3:00 pm    

What Mike said.
If unwilling to do that, or time or crowd noise makes that an issue, I likely pick the last 4 of Swingin Doors, Soft Rain or Just Destroyed the World.
Or better yet, pick half a phrase from one and half from another.
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 7:07 pm     What intro would you use ?

Thank's Lane .
I'll try that if im ever caught in that situation again Sad which i hope never happens .

When i played 6 string lead with no other lead insturments i just played the last line of the chorus for the intro > and for a break i played the first line of the verse & last line of the chorus,,that worked pretty well .
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 9:18 pm    

Quote:
When i played 6 string lead with no other lead insturments i just played the last line of the chorus for the intro > and for a break i played the first line of the verse & last line of the chorus,,that worked pretty well .

Sounds right to me...
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 9:15 am    

having you do intros to songs you've never heard?.....the guys gotta screw loose. when did everyone go crazy?
i'd have done whatever i felt like, got paid, and then asked for extra for arranging his songs.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 10:02 am    

Chris, as long as the band is tight together, I have always enjoyed it when we play a song that only one of us has heard before. Provided that that one is either bass or guitar.
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 11:07 am     What intro would you use ?

Loose screw , Very Happy I think you naied it Chris,,lol.

But i think this guy only did song's he had written because he could not sing a Jones..Haggerd..Pride etc, to sound right.{ just my thinking } and by doing his song's no one could say if they were right or not.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 11:21 am    

You Tell him if you've never heard the song; its best if we all just "vamp" on the Key the song is in until he starts singing. Why play any kind of melody; if no melody has been established or known by anyone other than the singer? Or the singer can sing the intro if he knows it; or sing it to you and then you emulate it. And if he has a prob. with that; you say: "ok you come up with words to Take the A Train" and you just start counting him in and take off on it...ha.
Ricky
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 11:30 am    

If the songs the Professionals write aren't good enough to sing , I am not sure about his.
Even the Pro's sing popular songs.
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 2:05 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
You Tell him if you've never heard the song; its best if we all just "vamp" on the Key the song is in until he starts singing. Why play any kind of melody; if no melody has been established or known by anyone other than the singer? Or the singer can sing the intro if he knows it; or sing it to you and then you emulate it. And if he has a prob. with that; you say: "ok you come up with words to Take the A Train" and you just start counting him in and take off on it...ha.
Ricky

''vamp'',,good idea Ricky that i had not thought of.
Thank's. ! Strike the chord let it ring,the bass walk's into it & the drummer pickes it up > The singer is in Very Happy
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 3:20 pm    

Quote:
''vamp'',,good idea Ricky that i had not thought of.
Thank's. ! Strike the chord let it ring,the bass walk's into it & the drummer pickes it up > The singer is in

That's it bro; that's how we do it in "Songwriter capital of the world" Austin, Tx.
Ricky
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 4:23 pm    

Paul Norman wrote:
If the songs the Professionals write aren't good enough to sing , I am not sure about his.
Even the Pro's sing popular songs.

I just want to say thank's Paul for your comment.
In my 73 year old brain i think he had 2 reasons for what he did.. [1] He was inscure in his abliity to do other people's song's .Or [2] He wanted to be diferent and try to leave the impresson that he was a songwriter & singer as good as the pro's.

I guess i'll never really know . Sad
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 4:48 pm    

ricky's right. i've done it a million times also. i have no problem with the guy doing originals. more power to him. just don't expect miracles...some may happen anyway.
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 5:54 pm    

I am wondering did he have charts? And how did it sound ?
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 9:18 pm    

Jeff Newman had an intro for all occasions that he posted in an old old guitar player magazine when he was the Steel guitar contributor to the mag.
I can't find it but he just noodled up the major scale with harmony and the band can play whatever chord progression they want behind it.
Or just play some Major Pentatonic garbled goop.
Me I just play the intro to "Blue Kentucky Girl" for every song I don't know. Works for me!
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 11:50 pm    

Niels Andrews wrote:

When i arrived he handed me a sheet of paper 20 song's with song title and root chord at the end of each song and as i said earlier none of us had ever seen each other or him,,just a throwed together band.
The lead guitar was easy to work with & the bass player,,the drummer had no problem,easy for him.The singer begain the song on time and nodded to the drummer as the song was ending ,so that made it easier for all of us.Most of the song's were 3 chord's. Other than the fact that i had to play an intro for all of them[ which was booring ] it came out sounding pretty good .
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 11:51 pm    

Niels Andrews wrote:

When i arrived he handed me a sheet of paper 20 song's with song title and root chord at the end of each song and as i said earlier none of us had ever seen each other or him,,just a throwed together band.
The lead guitar was easy to work with & the bass player,,the drummer had no problem,easy for him.The singer begain the song on time and nodded to the drummer as the song was ending ,so that made it easier for all of us.Most of the song's were 3 chord's. Other than the fact that i had to play an intro for all of them[ which was booring ] it came out sounding pretty good .
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 12:05 am    

Bo Legg wrote:
Jeff Newman had an intro for all occasions that he posted in an old old guitar player magazine when he was the Steel guitar contributor to the mag.
I can't find it but he just noodled up the major scale with harmony and the band can play whatever chord progression they want behind it.
Or just play some Major Pentatonic garbled goop.
Me I just play the intro to "Blue Kentucky Girl" for every song I don't know. Works for me!

Small world Bo,,,i have the Jeff Newman > give me an intro & just play the melody on vhs .And the cassett tracks for whatever he is teaching.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 7:35 am     About those intro's...........

I always suggest the guy hummmmmm me about sixteen measures of his song, then I pick the phrase that's easiest to play. Always works.......
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 9:10 am    

I'm curious to know...was this person paid to perform at this venue? Did people pay to see this performance?
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 9:11 am    

That's a good idea Ray if your in a place where you can hear ok & if there is enough time to do that.But in my case there was some noise and the singer was anouncing the next song second's after the last one ended.

Thank's for your comment !
james sluder

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2014 9:18 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
I'm curious to know...was this person paid to perform at this venue? Did people pay to see this performance?

Lee the band was paid $50.00 each , im not sure if the singer was paid by someone or not .

There was no admission charge !
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 8:58 am    

The Jeff Newman 'Give Me An Intro' approach is that mentioned above-- use the chord progression of the last 4 bars of the song for the intro.