| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Shows Do Not Show All Around Talent Of The Great Ones
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2014 10:30 pm    

I first started with steel guitar in 76 producing several cd's with some of the worlds greatest steel players. Although I produced several steel guitar shows on the road with some of the greats I have discovered that you really don't know how great some of the pedal players are just seeing them at the shows. The most ideal situation is when our idols are playing a 3 or 4 hour gig with a band when they back up all the songs. Michael Sweeney was playing at the Palace in Nashville last week and I was amazed at how great he plays when backing a singer. Sure, he's great at the shows but he is super at a venue working a regular gig. Same with Jernigan. After listening to Doug for over 35 years playing shows I never heard the great stuff he uses until I heard him backing up an artist. He took that break on Ashley Campbell's 'Gentle On My Mind' and almost blew me right off of my chair. If you get the chance go see your favorites at a club and you might be amazed at what you hear at the club that you never hear on their shows.
Dave A. Burley
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

Buddy Emmons/Jimmy Bryant live $15.00 includes shipping.
It's The First Time(studio)$15.00 includes shipping.
Curley Chalker/Julian Tharpe live $15.00 includes shipping.
the Cavalcade Of Guitars live $16.00 includes shipping.
Pay by PayPal to: dab7875159@aol.com
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 9:37 am    

Well thank you Dave. Very Happy

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 1:51 pm    

I feel that the problem is that most steelers belong to a single demographic group, the middle aged and older guys that want to hear mostly 4/4 Ray Price country stuff, with maybe...a few western swing numbers thrown in. Vere too far off that program, and guys will walk out (I've seen it happen).

IMHO, we're our own worst enemy, in that the vast majority of us want to hear what's already been done, and overdone - to the point of boredom, rather than stuff that hasn't been done, that stuff that "pushes the envelope". Oh Well
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 2:39 pm    

the vast majority of us want to hear what's already been done, and overdone - to the point of boredom, rather than stuff that hasn't been done, that stuff that "pushes the envelope".
Well said Donny Idea

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 1:57 am    

I agree with you Dave. Playing in front of steel players does make a person nervous and personally I do not play my best. Playing behind a singer is more comfortable for me. The great players get nervous as well and no one feels like they ever do their best.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 2:23 am    

Many steeler's are more comfortable in their element as back up instrument, as that is what we do mostly.

I don't consider myself in the same class as the "big boys" but I've had many complements on my backup and have steeler's come to listen to my backup. They tell me I'm better at backup than doing instrumentals at a steel show and I have to agree with them.
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 4:25 am     Steel Guitar

Denny Hinson said: (IMHO, we're our own worst enemy, in that the vast majority of us want to hear what's already been done, and overdone - to the point of boredom, rather than stuff that hasn't been done, that stuff that "pushes the envelope".)

I agree......When attending the St. Louis Steel Convention I listen to the same steelers playing the same stuff over and over again. Very good but it's like listening to Flatt and Scruggs playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown every day. I like it but I know exactly what they are going to play.
Go watch Paul Franklin with the Time Jumpers. You never know what he is going to play as a backup steeler. Slanting that bar like he did when he was a kid first learning on a lap top. Pulling so many emotions out of that steel when he is backing up Dawn or Vince. Same with Doug Jernigan at the Station Inn in Nashville on Monday night. He's not the feature performer so he is playing backup passing notes that send chills up and down a steelers spine. He's playing lines that I never heard him play at on over 35 years of shows. The kind of backup that I want to learn. Michael Sweeney who I've always liked...Now I like him much more....At the Palace in Nashville I was fortunate to listen to him back up about three hours of singing. It would take me months to steel the stuff he was playing that I don't hear him play at a steel show. Mike Jones at the Stage and Danny Muhabit across the road. WOW. No instrumentals. Tommy White with his unrehearsed mastery. Just the great stuff with all of them pushing the envelope a little and producing unbelievable backup steel guitar. They were not worried about making a mistake and did sometimes. I do love steel guitar shows but there are several things fixable things that I believe they are missing out on. That will be in another post.
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

Buddy Emmons/Jimmy Bryant live $15.00 includes shipping.
It's The First Time(studio)$15.00 includes shipping.
Curley Chalker/Julian Tharpe live $15.00 includes shipping.
the Cavalcade Of Guitars live $16.00 includes shipping.
Pay by PayPal to: dab7875159@aol.com
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 5:38 am    

i agree with what you are pointing at, but the unfair part of this theory is that the players at the conventions are at the mercy of the backing band (and they do a great job). its very hard to lead a band playing a steel out in front, all you can do is count it off and hope they are listening. i think they err on the side of caution with most sets as to not produce a train wreck in front of the audience - i totally understand that. pick songs everyone somewhat knows.
the bands on the other hand are also playing it safe - there isnt much musician interaction going on, they are just trying not to screw up the featured player. this makes for a somewhat dull performance after you have sat thru the first 1/2 dozen players.
plus, they are often fighting the sound or have little set-up time along with the fact they now are expected to "entertain" somewhat and not just be a dull sideman - you can tell most are very uncomfortable doing that.

when you drop one of these players into a seasoned band (as opposed to a pickup band) they are free to cut loose.

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 8:43 am    

Donny is right, as long as steelers continue to look backwards in time for their cues the future will remain unavailable to them. As perhaps the most powerful musical instrument ever created it is silly, if not tragic, to limit it to decades-old genres and figures when music itself is a boundless universe. The great steelers know this, but the show producers and backing bands don't often get it.

Perhaps one of the main problems is that so many players only learn how to play other people's licks of long ago, rather than learning how to create new ones at will. Learn how the music works and you can have a lot of fun in the real world of now.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 6:20 pm    

I totally agree. Playing backup works for me 10 to one over shows.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Greely Baggett

Moore, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2014 8:13 pm     Steel Shows Do Not Show All Around Talent Of The Great Ones

This is a great post here on the Steel Guitar Forum. I played a lot of honky tonk barrooms throughout the years for well over 25 years; full time without skipping a beat or any time off. It's a miracle I lived through it all to even say that. I have quite a library of music and licks in my head though from the constant repetition of playing all those songs. I never took the time to play any instrumentals. There was never a challenge to me in that. However, when I play with a band or any artist, I have the pedal to the metal and really enjoy the improvisation of playing a pedal steel guitar. That is where you truly learn to play. It's nice to be able to punctuate what the singer is conveying to the audience. John Huhey was a great example of that in "Look at Us". I know a lot of the great players on this forum will agree with me. To this day, I have never played at any convention. I do the gigs. That's it. Amen to this posting!!
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2014 5:09 am    

I do agree we can get tired of the same players playing the same songs on their set at the conventions.
I really don't have the desire to go to any of them anymore as I've heard them play the same songs for years.
I'm in the old class of players but grew up playing the 50's doo-wop songs and R&R through the years.
Now at our FSG club jams I like to bring in some of those songs or a soft rock tune.
I tried playing "Tears In Heaven" last winter at one of our jams.
The band members at that time had never heard the song or know who Eric Clapton is.
Sad to say this is how narrow minded some of these country diehards are that they never venture out to listen to other types of music.
As for me I listen to and have played all types of music.
Not to do so and play other types of music as a steel player has pigeon toed us as only country or Hawaiian steel players.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2014 4:46 pm    

Dave, I agree! I saw 45 RPM last week and I think the band only did one instrumental. But to watch them work with the singers was amazing to me. Of course I went to see Mike Johnson, But the entire band was just awesome. Daryle Singletar dropped by and sang a set. It was amazing to watch Mike work his magic. I like to support the steel shows when I can, But I recommend going and seeing these guys in their element.