| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Special Paint LDG's
John Kalament

South Carolina
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 5:06 am    

Is it possible to have an LDG with custom paint from the factory without the SP (Special Order) under the LDG Decal ? I guess if the pad was removed there might be some signs of green stain if the guitar was a refinish ?
Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 5:52 am    

Yes, I have a red LDG that don't have the SP on it. It was built in March 1978.

South Carolina
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 12:05 pm     Special Paint LDGs

Thanks Clyde !
The serial # on mine is 17058 Is that close to yours ? I really don't know how to date an LDG so I don't know the year of manufacture. Mine is Black
John
Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 6:46 pm    

John mine is in the 13000's. As a guess I would say for yours 1983-1984. Do a search on forum member Gene Haugh. There is a long thread where he gives factory info on the serial #'s.

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2014 1:05 pm     My Red 1982 LDG ...

I ordered this new and had to pay $ 200.00 extra for the custom order Red color. Its kinda hard to see in this picture but it does have the - SP - below the LDG logo. I ordered it in the fall of 1982 and received it about January of 1983, give or take a month or so. I wonder if it had something to do with the then Gretch ownership of Sho-Bud. I am not really sure when the ownership changed to Gretch however. Maybe someone in the know will chime and set us straight on the specific time-frame of that. I wonder if that could be the difference between having the under-logo or not. Best Regards.
Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2014 3:40 pm    

If they were any other color than green they were suppose to have the SP. Somehow some didn't get it put on. In 1978 the charge for a different color was $100.00.

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2014 6:49 pm    

Here is mine with sp logo 1982
Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2014 7:53 pm     green was the standard color i believe

i wonder if the change to gretch was simply the reason for the SP. I dont think green was a special order, i thought it was the factory standard. just when i think we got the answer, the question changes. go figure. lol.
Gene Haugh

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 7:53 am     Ldg

Guys,
The LDG was stained Emerald Green Using NGR (Non Grain Raising) Stain from Lilly Industrial Finishing out of Memphis Tenn. They are no longer in business!
There was no special paint, Sho~Bud used only Nitrocellulose Lacquer to finish there steels.
The (SP) under the LDG and all other models was used when the customer ordered a different color or extra knees or anything different.
With that said, the Decal for LDG (SP) was one Decal as was the LDG (MODEL) they were not two piece. All of the Decals were kept in the same little set of bin's and I am sure that some got put on the Steel by mistake. In late 1979 and early 1980 there was a lot of training going on and the Lady who was doing the cabinet finishing was a DH Baldwin employee who was used to finishing Grand Pianos. Then in October of 1982 The factory moved again and the training started again. This is not to try to make excuses but only to say that there was no reason. If something came up wrong it was just possibly an overlooked mistake. I don't think there were many.
We made a red LDG for Roy Clark's steel player sometime in 1981.
Don't remember his name.
Gene Haugh
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 8:23 am    

maybe troy klontz?
Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 12:59 pm    

Thanks Gene

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2014 2:04 pm    

I have never noticed any significant difference in the pricing of different colors, or so-called "special order" Sho~Bud guitars, so what Gene says makes sense. Other than one-of-a-kind rarity, famous player provenance is the only thing that seems trump condition in pricing of similar guitars.
Gene Haugh

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 5:50 am     Ldg

The (SP) was intended for just that, a special guitar! But when you figure in the human element and the number of small operations that go into building a steel there are lots of things that can and sometimes did go wrong. Also when you have a large company looking at the bottom line and our schedule was 10 per day and by the time the mistake was found the guitar was already finished and ready to tune.
What can I say!
Gene
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 7:18 am    

The real world of manufacturing. Confused

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 2:58 pm    

Gene
I have a '74 faded out LDG and the dust catcher
is not screwed in place, its must have double stick
tape on it or something. When they switched from the metal fretboard to the dust catcher, were the early
one taped on and then later screwed on?

Also, I've heard some players comment on the green LDG concerning the sever fading that a lot on them
had. They mention the stain was food coloring.

What is you theory on why a lot of the green guitars
faded.

Thanks

Rick

rickjohnsoncabinets.com
Gene Haugh

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2014 6:22 pm    

Rick,
My understanding is that Sho~Bud did use food coloring sometime in the past but that was before my time (1980). I heard the same stories of the colors fading when left in the light or sun too long. I did some work on Jimmy Days Blue Darling #2 and there was no Blue on it until I took the neck off.
DH Baldwin used so much finishing Lacquer in that time period that Lilly Industrial Finishing was supplying the Lacquer by the Boxcar loads. The stains they were sending us were Japanese colors and were suppose to be light fast.
When Fred Gretsch bought the company in 1985 and I needed more stain I called Lilly and was told that unless I was prepared to spend $150,000.00 per year don't call back. We had to go to other finishing co. and it was a major job to try to match the colors. Some we never got right.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2014 3:21 am    

If memory serves me right, somewhere deep down in a drawer I have an old Sho-Bud brochure showing a non-green LDG model. This was from the Gretsch era.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2014 4:13 am    

Local Steeler and music store owner, Jonny Bondz (Bondzinski) has a SD-10 Sho-Bud that is not an "LDG" model. He had it custom built (by Paul Franklin)during the period he was the Gretsch/Sho-Bud Salesman for Florida. I'm not sure of the period, as he has had the music store, in Wildwood Fl, for about 30 years.
Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2014 5:25 am    

Jack, thanks for mentioning that particular Sho-Bud, very interesting. I've seen it at Johnny's store/studio in Wildwood. I wasn't aware that Paul Sr. built it. It's the only "LDG style" that I've ever seen that seemed to be built with a smaller, Super Pro style/type cabinet. I really like it, very nice guitar. Again, thanks for the info.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2014 5:34 am    

Jonny Bondz plays my 1981 SuperPro D-10 at our club meetings.
It is the same as his SuperPro SD-10 so he has told me many times.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar