| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lets Talk Shoes (and lackthereof)
Kevin Milner

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 11:40 am    

Hey folks, so I'm a bit of an oddball. I play barefoot, always have. I can feel the pedals better and feel that I have more control, especially for slow precise bends. My teacher wasn't a big fan of this approach, but it works for me and I'm not planning on turning back. I'm also a So Cal boy that rarely wears real shoes anyway, so playing in them is impractical. I can't believe so many of y'all play in cowboy boots!

As I start to get bigger gigs, I'm feeling more uncomfortable about being barefoot on stage from a professionalism point of view. I played one dressy gig where I just did the show in black socks, and that was fine, but not ideal.

My question is, does anyone know of anything out there that looks professional but is almost as flexible as a sock? I know there are some other barefoot/sock players out there, what do you do at gigs?
Effects: Cali76-CD Compressor -> EP booster -> Sarno Earth Drive -> Earthquaker Devices Zap Machine -> Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter Phaser -> Caitlinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk III -> Malekko Envelope Filter -> Hilton VP -> Pedal Projects Klone -> Tech 21 Blonde -> Strymon Timeline -> TC Electronics Spark Mini Boost -> Strymon Lex -> Strymon Flint
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 12:34 pm    

How long have you been playing? I'm a relative beginner and prefer playing barefoot/socks too... and for the same reasons. I have a lot more control on the slow bends. My feet and toes are also more strong and nimble than normal. You can really add another dimension by how you time your bends.

I went through a phase where I decided that I just had to become comfortable playing with shoes too. It was a lot easier than I thought it'd be. I'm probably still not as accurate or precise with shoes than without, but I don't feel uncomfortable playing with shoes. I just did trial and error with the different kinds of shoes I own. I can't tell you what factors go into a good playing shoe for me. A pair of my casual boots work fine but then my smaller and more flexible dress shoes don't. Shoes with pointy toes don't work well.
Kevin Milner

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 12:50 pm    

Thanks for the reply Curt. I'm about 6 years in, and am really not planning on switching - it's part of my style and I like it. Interesting that you found softer dress shoes to be worse...maybe I'll have to experiment.
Effects: Cali76-CD Compressor -> EP booster -> Sarno Earth Drive -> Earthquaker Devices Zap Machine -> Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter Phaser -> Caitlinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk III -> Malekko Envelope Filter -> Hilton VP -> Pedal Projects Klone -> Tech 21 Blonde -> Strymon Timeline -> TC Electronics Spark Mini Boost -> Strymon Lex -> Strymon Flint
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 1:08 pm    

Tabi, those thin-soled martial arts shoes with toes?
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 2:18 pm    

I have no experience with any of these, I think the first pic is similar to what Lane is talking about.

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 2:23 pm    

For a dressy gig, I think any of those options would be decidedly more out of place than black socks.
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 2:29 pm    

A dressy gig? How about putting hair gel on your foot hair and some nail polish Laughing
David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 4:49 pm    

I like these. They have a pretty flexible sole and look good. Plus they are a legendary Aussie shoe!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 4:54 pm    

Actually 2 and 3vwere more like what I had in mind. And you can find them in black
Greg Spence

Union, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 5:32 pm     moc's

I picked up a pair of Minnetonka Men's Double Bottom Fleece Slippers from amazon.com and they seem to work well -- I did order them two sizes larger than my shoe size tho. (read the comments at amazon for more info)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XAW30W/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_i1

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 5:35 pm    

you take a pair of socks and paint um like shoes!??
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2014 5:37 pm    

I play with just my left foot bare. I take my left boot off before each set starts, then i put it back on when on break. Easy peasy.
Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 4:36 am    

I bought mine from Wally World as water shoes. They look like black tennis shoes and are really comfy and lets me feel the pedals. They are $9.00 you throw them in your seat for the next gig. I have posted this before and people commented on how comfy they are.
Bill Davison

Just far enough away from Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 10:11 am    

I'm well into the Jeff Newman teaching video's and it looks like he plays with cowboy boots. I'm not sure that there's a better player than Jeff. Gotta get me some cowboy boots. Razz
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 11:17 am    

Buddy often played in sneakers.
Hank Ruf plays in stocking feet.

Every footwear thread, I'll offer the same input to novices:
Changing footwear will make things feel different, and while you're still learning to impose your will on these things, the difference will distract you.
For the first three years or so, stick to the same style of footwear, whether it's mocs, sneaks, boots or socks.
After that point, you're less likely to get distracted.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 12:11 pm    

what's next? playing with no pants?

everyone's 'special quirkiness' is a little ridiculous to me.
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 12:58 pm     Look Ma, No Pants.

I get a lot of complaints about my extra knee lever, when I don't wear pants.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 2:59 pm    

I carry soft sole loafers in my Pac-a-Seat and wear them when playing. It gives me better feel than my street shoes. I never could play effectively with boots.

A few years back on a hot summer's day I was practicing at home, barefoot, and made this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVf84f6xrBw

I almost always wear shoes while playing. The alternative can be painful.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2014 7:00 pm    

Kung Fu shoes! I prefer the cotton soled ones... they also come in a plastic sole. Classy looking, usually about 10 bucks. You can keep a pair in your guitar case or in the back of an amp.

Also handy if a fight breaks out Very Happy

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 4:39 am    

Years ago Jeff used to do a one week training class sponsored by the Clement family, in my home town of Hickory, NC. I remember asking him then about bare foot playing. His answer was "don't do it". He said to wear a hard sole shoe with a heel, and said that he preferred cowboy boots. I didn't agree with him at the time, but as I learned and played more I came to appreciate his wisdom. Now I can play in any kind of shoe. Cowboy boots with a heel work best for me though.

Getting the pedals a little higher off the floor is the key with cowboy boots.

Last edited by Bill Duncan on 15 Jun 2014 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 5:54 am    

My favorite:

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 7:50 am    

Yes indeed ERV, I use very similar comfortable shoes too . JAMES TAYLOR
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 12:03 pm    

you guys'll fit right in at the davey crockett 'wild frontier' bar n grill!

erv...have you kept track of how many times you've posted your mocassin picture?
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 2:35 pm    

If I can play from 1980 until 2006 in socks and then switch to cowboy boots, then anyone can do it. I never thought I'd play in shoes of any kind because I felt I had better feel of what was going on down below but it really isn't hard to switch. I think considering the relatively short time you've been playing, you are probably focusing on the mechanics of what you are doing versus the playing part being second hand where you're not having to think about it.

There are a multitude of shoes to pick from but just choose something that matches you clothes...LOL

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2014 4:02 pm    

I have beautiful Mullen G2. The RKL left doesn't suit me so i took a leather glove and rapped it with duct tape to increase its girth. It is ugly as hell. No one has noticed. 99% of people don't even notice you have knee levers. I'm pretty sure a black sock is all you will need.