| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '37 Ricky - Schematic/Specs??
John Hanusch

Benson, AZ USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 10:23 am    

Howdy Folks, just got this old goodie - 6-string, bakelite - with single (vol.) control. The control seems very smooth and not scratchy, so I think not original. Anyway, when turned up pass 20-25% it begins to distort and gets worse as knob is cranked up. This is even with amp gain/vol turned down. Is this normal or might I have a wiring problem or wrong vol. pot here? What was original pot type & value?? What the ohm range of the pickup should be??
Thanks for any input here...John H.
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 9:44 pm    

Your guitar is overloading the input to the amp.
If the volume control is bad the volume change would be abrupt. There would also be noise.

What amp are you using?

Modern amps may not have an attenuator on the input so it is possible to overdrive them.
The original amps used in the mid '30's did not have a lot of gain, so the pickup may have a higher output level than a modern one.
Possible solutions:
1. Carefully readjust the amp controls.
2. Use another amp.
3. Put an attenuator between the guitar and
the amp input. This could be an extra volume control or a resistor network.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 11:47 pm    

John,
I had the same problem with that guitar, and Brad is right, I believe it is the original Pot...those Rick PU's are just hot!!!even if it was the wrong Vol pot...full open on any pot is 0 ohms...if there was a short or coil problem..output would be LESS...the PU is so hot because as Brad explained, in the mid 30's...(I think that guitar is a 35 by the way)...those were the first amps....not much in the way of amplification, and that was one of the reasons for trading that guitar...it needed a separate amp!!! An amp that worked well with the rick was no good for any other electric instrument...here's what I did....change all the pre-amp tubes in your amp to 12ay7's or 12at7's...less gain than 12ax7's....that is the only way to get a workable sound out of a hot Rick...it needs a dedicated amplifier...
Aloha,
Mike
John Hanusch

Benson, AZ USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2001 8:19 am    

Blake & Mikey... Thanks much for the responses. I was trying it on a Fender Blues Jr. and after tweaking on the gain/vol controls, it's much better. Thanks, again, guys. John H.

[This message was edited by John Hanusch on 04 January 2001 at 08:21 AM.]

John Hanusch

Benson, AZ USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 3:41 pm    

Hey, one more question if anyone gets down this far again. The volume control is off in the full clockwise position. Is it just wired backwards or is this the way they were?? Thanks, John H.