| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno Blackbox with Roland Cube, Anyone?
Aaron Ballance

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 6:37 am    

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with placing a Blackbox in front of the recent series of Roland Cube amps? I picked up a Cube 20x as a practice amp, but I'm also considering purchasing a new tube amp (one smaller than the twin reverb I own) for use with the lap steel.

Does this pre-amp really warm-up a digital modeling amp?

Thanks in advance!
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 8:17 am    

You betcha! I have a Cube 80XL and a Cube 40 and I use a BB with these and any amp for that matter. Go from the steel to input of BB to VP to amp to get the most vibe using the Vari Z control.

Hope this helps,

Lenny
Aaron Ballance

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 9:01 am    

Thanks, Len. So do you think it's a significant improvement in tone?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 1:07 pm    

The Vari Z control acts like a tone control but the BB effects the way the guitar feels and responds. Best way is to get an AB box to hear the difference with and without especially tweaking the Vari Z.

I have had two BB for years and it is my go to device with everything.

Lenny
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 1:53 pm    

Aaron - I don't have a Black Box; however, I do have a Sarno Freeloader. My Roland 80XL amps sound much better with the Freeloader in the chain.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 5:21 pm    

Hi Lee:

I also have a Freeloader and it's great device also. I am in the process of hooking up a BB and V8 into a Stewart PA200 in mono and using a GP-100 for effects. Will also use a 1201-4 neo for a speaker.

Should be interesting.

Lenny
Val Drummond

Maryland
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 6:21 am    

I use the same set-up as Len with my Cube 80XL.
Prior to purchasing a BB. I always used a Freeloader.
John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 10:49 am    

I currently play through an 80-XL myself. Very interested in this topic, and would like to know:

1. Doesn't the type of VP (active vs. passive) make a difference in how the BB or Freeloader will change things? (Mine is a Hilton...)

2. What about pickups? (Mine is a Truetone single coil)

3. My understanding is that the Freeloader is an impedance matching device (like the Lil Izzy?), and is especially effective with passive pot pedals?

Lots of questions, I know, but I've been considering a BB or Freeloader for some time now to "take the edge" off what I perceive is a bit of "harshness" or "bite" to my sound.

Thanks for any input, and of course I understand that "MMMV" !
Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2014 12:10 pm    

Hi, John. I use the BB with my Derby SD-10, Roland Cube 80 and Tru tone /single coil, and I like the results. It does sweeten those harsh highs and lend an over-all sense of character to the sound. The effect is subtle but it's there. One day I did the closest thing to an A-B test that I could, just switching out the BB and putting it back in again fast as I could, and the difference was unmistakeable.
Ray
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2014 7:42 am     cube amps

Len, I have a cube 80XL also, although I don't use it for pedal steel. I have a couple of MB200s and two cabs with 15" Telonics and EPS 15C speakers for pedal steel. I've been thinking of trading the 80 watt cube for a 40GX for my lap steels. How do you like the 40?
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2014 12:40 pm    

I have two Cube 80XL's. I also use a Sarno Free Loader. I bought the Free Loader after I noticed my tone with the 80XL would vary wildly when using my Goodrich pot pedal.

I have a Hilton at home and for gigs. I keep the Goodrich at the rehearsal space. I use the Free Loader with both and I'm very pleased with the sound I get with either pedal.

I also had a TrueTone in my Carter S-12 which I recently exchanged for a LXR-16. My Zum has a 12-1. It takes the edge off both of the pickups and really smooths out the tone. I just need to adjust the Free Loader every so slightly depending on the guitar I'm using and my tone stays consistent.

I also use it rarely as a tone control to compensate for the room. I usually adjust the amp. More often I use it as an effect to darken the tone on the rare occasion I use some overdrive. It really helps there with making the overdrive sound like a creamy Les Paul humbucker.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2014 1:06 pm     Black Box

I had a Black Box and still have a Freeloader, but recently I've been using an MXR 10 band graphic eq. I think it gives even more control. The low strings on my U12 Carter just jump out with a little boost from the MXR. I can cut the treble as needed too, and scoop the mids.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2014 3:26 pm    

George:

Do not trade your 80XL for a 40GL. The 40GL will not handle the pedal steel. I have the 40XL and it is a nice unit for lap steel especially with the BB.

The Cube 40XL is actually a 4 channel amp and has some nice modeling features for lap steel.

Check this demo out for some insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5H6hk8yA-s