| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My new Frenzel
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2014 6:04 am    

Just a little plug for Jim and the fine folks at Frenzel. My experience with them and the Frenzel Mini Bassman has been great. Out of the box it was a little too hot for pedal steel, but all I had to do was some tube swapping (a 12AT7 in V1, and a Weber Copper Top solid state rectifier) to make a great clean tube machine for pedal steel. It's got a lot of tone-tweaking features, 2 channels with different voicings, and with the way the tone stack works I can even shift the curve to put the mid scoop where it needs to be. I could not justify one of the high-end boutique amps, but this will keep me smiling for a long time. (Built the head cabinet myself, don't blame that on the Frenzel folks!)

Jimbo Watkins

Allen, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2014 8:53 am    

Nice! If that rig sounds as good as it looks, I'd say you were in business. What a beauty.

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2014 5:41 pm    

Maybe I should have bought a Frenzen Mini Bassman as I bought his Super Twin. Very disappointed. Swapped tubes, rectifiers and different speakers and would not sell it to another steel player knowing it lacked everything. A punk rocker bought it at 1/2 what I paid and loves it.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2014 5:42 pm    

Double post!
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2014 4:01 am    

Len, sorry your's didn't work out, I guess different models give different results. I'm very pleased with the sound I'm getting. At first I thought I'd be using the F channel (Fender) because of the deep mid scoop, but the M channel (Marshall) actually gives me my sweet spot. I've enjoyed experimenting with the controls and watching the graph curve on my Tone Calculator software, which gives me a visual that I think is pretty close to what I'm hearing. The treble not only cuts the highs but slides the mid scoop up and down (according to the software at least), like a vari-control mid. So dialing in involves all 3 (bass, mid, treble). And when I want to go a little raw, I pull the edge switch.
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2014 11:31 am    

Jimbo Watkins wrote:
What a beauty.

Jimbo, thanks for the complement. I guess I was going for "retro".