| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al and Betty Brisco in Australia
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 1:29 am    

Al and Betty Brisco have been making their first visit to Australia in the last week or so, and a Rotary conference saw them in Sydney for a few days.

Sydney steel-player Nick O'Neill, who organises our get-togethers every few months, managed to persuade Al and Betty to come to dinner at Nick's home, with a few invited guests to give them a traditional Aussie-style welcome. Australian steelers Michel Rose, Tomi Graso, Damien O'Dell, Graham Griffith, Mike Tyne, Gary Brown (dobro) and Kerry Donlon (who usually plays bass at our meetings), Ned McIntosh and of course Nick and his wife Anne were all there, many of the gentlemen bringing along wives for what turned out to be a magnificent and memorable evening.

As we all know, Al is a true gentleman and a great player. After a magnificent dinner he kindly took us through his method of "tuning by ear"...and how good Nick's SD-10 Mullen sounded after Al had tweaked it a little here and there!

"All you need are your ears and a tuning-fork". Al Brisco demonstrates his tuning-by-ear method on Nick O'Neill's Mullen SD-10. It sure works!

Once the tuning was settled, Al obliged by playing to some tracks he had brought with him. An audience of steel-guitarists watched and listened with wrapt attention.

Al holding his audience of steel-guitarists and partners almost literally in the palms of his hands. Looking on (mid-left) are Tomi Graso and above and to the rear, Damien O'Dell.

I can recall few evenings in my life as memorable as this. It's not often you can share the company of Australia's most accomplished steel-players and hear one of the greats play, eat a meal with them, talk and share ideas and thoughts about steel-guitar, different cultures, similarities and differences between two Commonwealth countries and extend traditional Aussie hospitality to honoured guests. On this very special night somewhere in the suburbs of Sydney, it all happened.

Wives and steel-guitarists spellbound by Al's playing (Standing, from left) Mike Tyne, Graham Griffith (seated in front of Graham) Michel Rose, Tomi Graso (facing away from camera) and behind him, Damien O'Dell. Kerry Donlon at bottom left.
(Apologies for some of the photos, the feeble flash on my camera was working at its limits when I took them)

Amidst the happiness and celebration there was a tinge of sadness. Al mentioned he had just heard that Weldon Myrick had suffered a bad stroke, but he didn't know any more than that. When I woke the next morning I received the sad news of Weldon's passing via the forum. It made me appreciate the previous evening for the unique opportunity it truly was.

Huge thanks to Nick and Anne O'Neill for organising, and especially to Anne for the meal.

Extra special thanks go to both Al and Betty Brisco for taking time out of a busy schedule to sample life in the 'burbs of Sydney. And grateful thanks to all the steelers and their wives who gave the event a unique atmosphere. This may have been Al and Betty's first trip to Australia, but we are all hoping it will not by any means be their last.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 2:51 am    

Ned are the Briscoes still in OZ ? are they coming to Melbourne ?
Ned McIntosh

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 3:27 am    

Brendan, I think they went over the ditch to NZ for a few days. Nick O'Neill would have a better idea.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 3:55 am    

Thanks for the updates and pix, Ned!

I worked with Al on producing a DVD where he explains and demonstrates his "Ear Tuning" method.

It was indeed an "Ear Opener" for me. I thought I knew a lot about tuning, but his relatively simple procedure has greatly influenced my Steel skills.

We both knew from the beginning that this would not be a big seller, because it not as sexy a topic as Hot Licks, or similar subjects. However Al felt it was very import to document it with both video and audio.

I now strongly agree.

It great to hear Al and Betty are enjoying your hospitality. Any more news and pix would be most appreciated. Take good care of them!
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 4:49 pm    

AL told me it was a great evening, him and his wife are currently over here doing the Queenstown and Milford Sound trip, I will see them both here in Christchurch on monday night so I'm looking forward to that ... then we will all gather back across the ditch in Brisbane in a few weeks for the steel show :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2014 7:56 pm    

Hey Paddy;
I hope all is well with you.
Show Al the town down there - he is a neat guy to hang around with.
Take Care .
Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Nick ONeill

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2014 4:04 am    

Ned, thanks for your very nice report and photos of our little gathering.

It was our pleasure to have everyone at our home. It was a good opportunity to catch up with Al and Betty and like you said I also thank them for making time for us in their very busy Sydney schedule.

The good folks in Brisbane are in for a real treat by having Al play at their Steel Guitar Festival this year.

Brendan, the Briscos will be at the Crown Promenade Hotel Melbourne from the 10Th to the 12Th of June where they look to have a very busy schedule of tours organised. I'm sure you you could contact them there. Ray Hasler might have some more info on that. His # 9973 0538.
Mullen SD10G2 4x5 (Black), Carter S-10 3x5, Peavey Session 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender MS80, Boss DD3, Goodrich and Telonics volume pedals, Alesis QuadraVerb, Fender Strats x2, Fender Nashville Power Tele, Takamine NP-15C, Boss TU-12, Peterson VS-11, Strobo-flip and strobo-clip tuners, D2Fcovers,seat,legs, amps,guitars.
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2014 5:19 pm    

Thanks Nick
Paddy Long

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2014 6:56 pm    

Hey all, I had dinner and a beer with Al and Betty last night here in Christchurch ... had a lovely time and was great to catch up with them both ....they fly back to OZ this afternoon, to Melbourne then Adelaide - and I will catch up with them both in Brisbane at the Aussie steel show in a couple of weeks.

They enjoyed their brief side trip to New Zealand and got to see some great places on their tour.

Betty asked me if I was going to drive to Brisbane or fly hehe .... I mentioned the 2 and a half thousand miles of the Tasman Sea might make the drive a little bit dampish !! Laughing
Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2014 11:48 pm    

Paddy

Here's what you need. You're an adventurous guy!
Hint - pick a calm week with a light South Easter for the trip. Oh, and clear wrap the Zum just as a precaution.

Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2014 3:30 am    

What a lovely evening it was , Huge Thanks to Nick and Anne for taking time to organize everything and for a great hospitality !
It was all in honor of Mr. Al Brisco and his lovely wife Betty ! We all really enjoyed Al's company but most of all was the presentation Al gave us after dinner !
It was a great treat to have that in our lounge room right in front of our eyes...like a personal lesson !
This doesn't happen very often , again all the Thanks to Nick and Anne for initiating the whole idea of inviting Mr Al and Betty Brisco to their home, we all so much appreciate your kindness !
You guys mean so much to this special community of people !

P.S. Thanks Ned for taking all the photos , really enjoy listening to you when we talk steel and anything scientific !
Ned I think your camera flash might have been a bit too strong, I was going to say something funny but better shut up and keep quiet this time LOL...

See you all soon. Cheers form Tomi...steel
Paddy Long

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2014 6:37 pm    

Jim thats exactly what I need mate -- and a following sea Very Happy