| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two songs on 6th string in B11
Dennis Smith

Covington, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2014 9:28 pm    

This is Akira Saito on steel. Nice playing.
When you wish upon a star
http://youtu.be/YWSV2kJdBzY

Carefree
http://youtu.be/eVuyxz182o0
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 May 2014 10:26 pm    

Yes, very nice playing, and on a Guyatone!

Funny thing about Carefree (Jerry Byrd's version)... it sounds like B11, but I ordered Jerry's handwritten tab from Scotty's Music a while back and it's written in C6. Scotty's advertising said:

Carefree (As Recorded) C-6th /B-11th

So I was thinking there are two transcriptions available, C6 and B11...? I asked for Both, and they said they could only find the C6 one. So what does C-6th /B-11th mean? Maybe it's an error and there is only a C6 transcription. Anyway, the C6 tab sounds exactly like what Jerry plays on Carefree, but you'd have to be some kind of a God to play it as written... reverse slants everywhere, three string slants, difficult fills, etc. So I retuned to B11 and tried playing the song by ear, following the recording and the original sheet music, and it flowed a lot easier for me on B11.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 27 May 2014 6:44 am    

For a song called "Carefree" it always sounded very exacting and deliberate to me. No mental picture of a carefree kid skipping down a hill or anything like that.

What's a song that actually sounds carefree? Good question. Ummm. I don't know. AM radio tunes like ...

Sunday will never be the same?
Saturday in the park?

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 May 2014 7:18 am    

Carefree was written as theme music for the Chesterfield Hour radio show in the 1930s. Here's a radio recording from 1935. The main melody starts at 0:43 ------> https://soundcloud.com/peter-mintun/carefree-charles-henderson

I like Andy Iona's version. His single note style sounds a little more "carefree" than Jerry's big chord style, on this song, IMO
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 May 2014 7:55 am     A response if I may?

When I was considerably younger, JERRY BYRD released on Mercury, a tune called "Steelin' the Chimes".

I immediately learned that song, note for note. The first part was in "A" (or so I tho't) while the middle part was in "C6th" I tended to believe. THUS, my need for two different necks/tunings was more than justified, eh?

JERRY WROTE me and informed me that:
The entire song was performed/recorded in B11th.
I was amazed at how he was able to get two different tunings out of one set of strings but after working with it for awhile, I discovered that's exactly what he did.

I don't know if this is appropriate for your post however at that point in time, I'd never ever heard of B11th. Works perfectly..........

THANKS Doug for the glimpse into 1935 and that big orchestra sound. I'd have never imagined............
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 May 2014 8:30 am    

Quote:
JERRY WROTE me and informed me that:
The entire song was performed/recorded in B11th

Thanks for posting that, Ray. B11 it is! I was confused when I got Jerry's handwritten tablature for the song in C6 tuning. It sounds just like his recording in B11, but it's extremely hard to play his version in C6. Easier in B11.

That big band recording of Carefree is certainly a time capsule. Those 1930s arrangements are fascinating. The orchestra plays a long intro and then plays the melody (while the singer sits in a chair and listens). Two or three minutes into the song the singer steps up to the mic and sings a verse and a chorus and then he sits down, and the band plays the melody for a few more minutes and out. An easy gig for a singer. Cool
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 27 May 2014 9:06 am    

Sadly, that's back when instrumentalists were the kings and queens of the music business instead of now, where the singer reigns supreme and the music behind them is little more than an afterthought.

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2014 9:48 am    

Ray - I think of B11 as a B7 on the bottom strings and as an A6 on the top strings, so, IMHO, it IS 2 tunings in 1. I got the idea from Alan Akaka, who has help me get my mind around the tuning. It helps me figure out songs and improvisations, too.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 May 2014 3:32 pm    

Yes, B11 is a combination tuning, Part of it is A6 and part of it is B7, B9, B11.

I posted some B11 instruction on this forum back in 2009:

------> http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=169521w