| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Doug Livingston on The VOICE!
Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 5:22 pm    

For those that were watching The VOICE finals this evening, we got a chance to see Doug Livingston on stage with Blake Shelton and Shakira.

He played for Jake, one of the contestants, as he sang Keith Whitley's 'Don't Close Your Eyes'. They had Doug's Kline way up in the mix. YEAH!! It was beautiful.

Doug actually got some good camera time!

Congrats Doug!

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 6:33 pm     Jake should win it all

We get it delayed - I read this and just say Jake

Doug just goes about this business and walks off

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 6:41 pm     Oh by the way

His tone is so good because he is setting on a steelseat.

What kind of a steel is that - NOT his Franklin or an Emmons ???????????????????

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 7:12 pm    

Joe, it was a Kline.

PSG PARTS
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 7:17 pm     Thanks

I figured that out the next time I saw it - just when I think I know what these guys have for steels the through me a curve - Thanks

Hope things is going great with you. I am happily covered up and I know you are busy

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 7:20 pm    

Hi, I just got home and I'm going to watch it at 8:24, and see if I can hear the big goof where I missed by one fret and played a big G chord where it should have been A flat. On the slow tune with Jake I played the Zum. I brought the Kline today because they needed 2 rigs set up at once (no time to move things around; it is total chaos there), and I played the Kline on the duet with Blake and Shakira.
Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 7:28 pm    

Well the set was too dark on Jake's set and there was no way to make out the Zum. All I caught was a set of fuzzy hands which I knew were on a steel.

You did that tune proud! That's one of my all time favorites.

PSG PARTS
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 7:38 pm    

Yeah, it was dark all right. That's my excuse for being one fret short on that chord. They said none of the band would be on camera for that tune (except Jenee the fiddle player), and it would be OK if I just wear old jeans and a T shirt, butI guess that was an exaggeration.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 7:41 pm    

Well Doug to be honest I did not notice your outfit

I was surprised to see the Kline steel - but your tone was good since you were setting on a steelseat.

Smile

Joe
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 19 May 2014 8:02 pm    

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 May 2014 9:31 pm    

Kline... Good choice. Very Happy
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 8:59 am    

it's interesting that there seems to be a trend to place a steel in the mix lately on non-country tunes. i don't know who is making these decisions, but i think it's good for the future of the steel.
sort of as if the steel is actually a real musical instrument. who would've thought?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 9:01 am    

so ernest....are we finding that much of the playing on these shows is actually live and not pre recorded?
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 11:12 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Hi, I just got home and I'm going to watch it at 8:24, and see if I can hear the big goof where I missed by one fret and played a big G chord where it should have been A flat. On the slow tune with Jake I played the Zum. I brought the Kline today because they needed 2 rigs set up at once (no time to move things around; it is total chaos there), and I played the Kline on the duet with Blake and Shakira.

G against G#???.. I do it all the time.. Its jazz.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 11:34 am    

When I do that, I just drop my bar in between necks and pretend it slipped out of my hand causing the wrong chord notes.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 2:18 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
so ernest....are we finding that much of the playing on these shows is actually live and not pre recorded?

Before I answer that, let me read the non-disclosure statement that I had to sign. There were more forms to sign on this show than usual, about 40 or 50 pages. It took 20 minutes or so just to sign them. I can only imagine how long it would have taken if I had actually read them first ... wait a minute, one of the things I signed said that I had read it all .. let me think before I answer ... yes, on this show, everything you heard was done there on the sound stage, with everybody playing and singing at the same time!
Other shows are different, and just about every possible way you can imagine has been done at some time or other.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 20 May 2014 2:30 pm    

Quote:
Before I answer that, let me read the non-disclosure statement that I had to sign. There were more forms to sign on this show than usual, about 40 or 50 pages. It took 20 minutes or so just to sign them.

Proof of the litigious society we live in these days.. Oh Well Was there a clause in there stating The Voice has the right to disavow any (instrumental) clams occurring during the course of the show? Winking
Kurt Kowalski

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 2:58 pm    

Doug is the man!
I had the opportunity to see Doug live in Buffalo some years ago.
He had a fly in gig with Megan Mullally.
Not only was it a great show.
But, Doug played my GFI u12 on the show.
Plus we got to hang out and have dinner and enjoy Doug's sense of humor and he shared his expert advice as well.
Doug is the man!
Keep on pickin Brother,
-kk-
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 7:24 pm    

I heard. Doug for the first time in Phoenix this year and I was impressed. I just heard the song with Jake again, and he did a great job. Hope to hear more. With artist like Doug out there I think it will have producers and talent thinking about using more steel.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2014 11:11 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:

Earnest, were you the steel player on this show too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roYj3vevcMY
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 9:17 am    

I'll try to catch the show online (anyone have a link?), but Doug is one of my favorite steel players, because he's such a fine overall multi-instrument musician and brings much innovation to steel music. Come to the Phoenix steel show every January and see what I mean. He's also an extended E9 player like me. I think he wins the contest for most pedals and levers.

Joe Naylor, I hear black steelseats sound the best, correct?
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 6:19 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:

Earnest, were you the steel player on this show too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roYj3vevcMY

No. I hear steel but I don't see it. I would guess that it's Jay Leach; when I do these talent shows I'm usually subbing for Jay.
Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2014 6:10 am    

I missed the show.

Is this the track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmdXfsBKkak