| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Friendly States to Live In
Fred Utt

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 12:57 pm    

I have been playing steel since the early 70's. I learned all the basic licks and played in some good country bands. About 3 years ago I decided to up my game, I bought the latest and greatest equipment and spent a ton of money on advanced instuctional courses.
I have practiced very hard and have obtained a Nashville quality professional level. My problem is
I live in Indiana and nobody wants a steel guitar anymore. The bands all play new country, southern rock, or blues. The music today is just not good for steel guitar. I plan to retire in a year or two and was thinking of moving to an area that still likes classic country music. Besides Nashville is there
a place somewhere over the rainbow where the bands still play good country music and a steel guitar is sought after? Let me know, I'm tired of playing in my bedroom. Thanks
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 1:02 pm     Re: Steel Friendly States to Live In

Fred Utt wrote:
new country, southern rock, or blues. The music today is just not good for steel guitar.

Sure it is, as long as you know how to apply the pedal steel to those genres.

Or are you specifically looking to play only classic country?

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Fred Utt

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 1:23 pm    

Howard,
Thanks for your reply. I do sit in with a band that plays everything and yes I can put a lick in here and there and I can turn on distortion and make it sound like a slide guitar. I quess I want to go back to days when the steel was the dominant instrument and when you played it meant something. The band I sit in with plays a 4 hour gig and they do 5 songs
where a steel makes a difference.
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 1:31 pm    

I'd look for another band.

My main gig is an alt/indi/roots rock five piece which enjoys modest regional success.

The steel is tightly integrated to the band's sound.

Our motto is "Bee Gees to Bob Wills".

It's not the genre. It's the musicians.

h
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 7:14 pm    

Fred Utt wrote:
I quess I want to go back to days when the steel was the dominant instrument and when you played it meant something.

Fred,
I know how you feel and I know what you mean. As far as where to move, Texas would be my guess based on what I've read. Good luck and happy pickin'. Smile

Mitch
Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 8 May 2014 9:18 am    

I live in Upstate, NY and play in an original honky-tonk/classic country band that gigs about twice per week. I find this a very easy area to get gigs. In fact, last month, I threw a Craigslist ad just to see what was out there. I indicated that I would not consider modern country. I received over 30 replies. The opportunities are definitely out there.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 May 2014 9:39 am    

You don't need distortion, but I'd say you either need a different band, or a different approach to your part in that band. An E9th pedal steel can make a positive contribution to Percy Sledge/Al Green soul, if you just think a TAD different, and I have FUN playing blues on E9th. No, they don't call for licks and thoughts out of the Day/Emmons/Green/Franklin vocabulary, but that vocabulary provides the building blocks for an effective vocabulary in soul and blues.
And you might have luck finding other bands in your area doing closer to what you want. It might not be your state/town, but your people.
Fred Utt

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2014 10:46 am    

Thanks for the replies comming in. Upstate NY doesen't sound too bad. I wish I could find another band that would want a steel player. I have listed on craigslist several times with no serious replies.
I have a universal 12 string and I can play blues and rock but my heart and (age) prefers country the way it is supposed to be played. And at the right volume level. I quess I'm being too picky, but I don't want to give up trying to find the perfect band for me.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 8 May 2014 12:29 pm    

Me being a Brit, and relocating to the U.S.A in 93, I found that geographical location won't change anything. I have played in 30 states and have found the same situation no matter where you go(rock oriented mindset's as the most common genre)...I think you have to search out people with the same (common ground) and they are in every location in every town/city etc on the globe.

The steel guitar is loved all over the world, but we are all in the same boat, however I marketed myself to 'Country Musicians' not frustrated rock musicians wanting to play Country to make a few bucks. When I was in England, I worked with Country acts only, and I stayed with that crowd, also in the U.S.A.

I have managed to stay in the same 7 piece band now for 12 years after a 10 year stint on the road...We Steel picker's are a rare breed, but there is room for you where you live in my opinion...It's hard work and plan B, but you might have to round up some common people and start your own thing, fred. Very Happy

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 May 2014 2:47 pm    

Quote:
Fred Utt
I plan to retire in a year or two

Have you ever considered finding a country (wana be ) singer ? --- I’ll bet if you put out and add for a country singer, you would find a number of guy’s or Gals that want what you want - if you got a couple years to retire you could build your own band --

Just a thot
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 May 2014 5:37 pm    

I have been playing in an 8 piece "new country" band now for a few months. I am really enjoying it. After so many, and I mean MANY, years of classic country, I had to step aside and do something else. I still love classic country and love to play it, but I just got tired of it. There really is some good steel guitar stuff in many of the newer country songs. And the one's that don't, I get a free token to do what I want. If it sounds good, I get to keep doing it. If it sounds awful, well...

The guitar player in the band, who I have played with many times over the last 35 years, wants to spin off and form a classic country band with me. There just isn't any market for it here in Northern California, especially here in the bay area.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2014 7:14 pm    

You may have to create your own opportunity. If you can round up some musicians who are appreciative of the steel, or if you can sell yourself. Modern country has a lot more steel in it than most of us realize.... I was watching the Stagecoach festival in California the other night and was impressed by Lee Brice. His steel player is pretty up front with his sound. Try Bandmix. It's a national online musician's classified that can be used on a regional level. I've found several situations using it.

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2014 2:47 am    

Guys thanks again for all the responses. I watch all of the award shows and you hardly ever see a steel or a fiddle for that matter featured on a song.
I think steel started dying out after the Vince Gill,
Allan Jackson, Garth Brooks era. George Strait was our last hope and he is retiring. I do watch the RFD
network and love to watch Marty Stuart, Country's
Family Reunion, and Midwest Country. I keep hoping
that classic country music will make a comeback. Most of the music they play today is not country. It is a cross of rock and rap. The only difference is they still take about trucks and getting drunk!
Thanks for your responses.