| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Interview with Miguel Copon in "Prepared Guitar" blog
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 1:36 pm    

An interview with Miguel Copon:

http://preparedguitar.blogspot.com/2014/05/susan-alcorn-13-questions.html

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 4 May 2014 4:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 2:23 pm    

Pretty cool Susan. I admire your ability to articulate your art. As well as your art...
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2014 11:47 am    

Thank you, Ken.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2014 2:47 pm    

Wonderful! Expose thyself in public... repeatedly. I'm currently thinking that there just may NOT be the single, Giant Jumbo Family-Size “Breakthrough Steel Event” event – a non-cornpone movie soundtrack? Hit TV theme for ADULTS (sorry, Oh Sponged-One)?... Even should one pop up, fame & attraction are currently incredibly fickle, shallow and fleeting – remember that “Lady Gaga” thing? Eeeyew – it was so-oo 2012-ish...

So we're just left as a bunch of sneaky infidels, covertly chipping away at the castle foundations. I thought the dude's questions were a bit askew - “Why do you like steel guitar, what do you need from music(?)”

Quote:
“...the way the notes sustain and decay. I love the way it expresses the notes between the notes, the sounds inside the notes between the notes, the microtones, the harmonics, all through the subtle movement of the bar”... “For me, practice is paramount, and I practice as much as I can, though “practice” is kind of a funny word. Maybe it’s that I “play” or "play/practice" as much as I can to stay in close touch with the pedal steel guitar and the music that moves me.”

Clearly it's a hopeless addiction, does he think you're gonna bag it all and become a dental assistant if the pay's better? And now I have a whole other website to stare at for hours on end, wondering how anybody ever gets so good! For one, I know your “13 Questions” stablemate Einvind Aarest is great, stunning, fantastic - those Scan-jazz/ECM kids just plain forgot to sell out and pose for Vogue magazine. Plus, I learned a whole new groove/rut/cliche to wallow in called... “Post-Miles!” Smile
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2014 4:19 pm    

Quote:
I would like to have collaborated with Olivier Messiaen; ... Edgar Varese ... Mercedes Sosa.... Alice Coltrane or Albert Ayler; Derek Bailey or Tony Levin; Agnes Martin or Mark Rothko; Violeta Parra or Victor Jara; Tammy Wynette or Mel Street; Jimmy Day or Joaquin Murphy.

A serious range of brilliance. Where's the "Like" button?
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 9:41 am    

Like.
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2014 6:14 pm    

Thank you David, Chas, and Steve.

David, those two questions kind of threw me a little bit, but I think there's some method to the madness because they're questions that kind of throw you off a little - a bit like a koan. "What do you need from music?" Hmm, I don't know, but I have to say something. And for the question, "Why do you like the pedal steel guitar," in the last sentence of that paragraph I get to tell the true reason why I play the pedal steel guitar rather than the ukelele or the autoharp.

- Mary Oliver