| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Muting a Supro String Through
Tom Steele

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 6:21 am    

Good day...I'm a newbie on the lap steel. I have a '50s Supro with the string-through pickup. I have been working on palm muting, but it seems almost impossible with the string-through design and the tone/vol knobs located just in front of the pickup. (additionally, I have large hands) String-through players...how do you accomplish the muting technique?

BTW...I just upgraded to a set of Rick Aiello's magnets on this guitar...it is insane how his mags brought out the sound and tone of this guitar.

Many thanks...
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 6:54 am    

Mr. Green
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 6:57 am    

Palm blocking is difficult with that pickup. You just need to pick and block slightly to the left of the pickup (keeping your hand away from it). There's not much else you can do. The Fender Trapezoid pickups are like that too. Strings go through the bulky pickup so palm blocking is awkward.

Good call on the Aiello magnets! I've had a set for a few years and I've used them in many of my Valco lap steels.
Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 7:58 am    

I agree full muting to the right of that pickup is pretty hard, but you can partially mute by pressing the edge of your palm into that little space on the right and it gives a really cool almost telecaster tone. It's worth experimenting with.

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 10:13 am    

If you're doing full-on, bouncing palm blocking, I imagine that'd be tough, especially as that pickup sounds so nice with the polepieces right up on the strings. If you bounce too hard, you'll thump the strings against the poles.

That being said, I've never had much trouble with adjusting my technique for that pickup. I also don't really palm-block single note stuff, so who knows...

Good luck!

j
Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 6:55 pm    

I experienced that problem and noticed those little screws under the strings looked high. after screwing them down about flush with the pickup body no problem. I couldn't tell any significant change in tone or volume. If it dosen't suit you screw them back out.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 8:38 pm    

Some confusion here, blocking vs. muting. You can't palm mute on this guitar... same with a Rick horseshoe type, and other string-throughs like trapezoids and boxcars (Fender). You *can* palm-block, which is actually a technique for muting... palm-muting is a technique for pizzicato tone. Confusion! You have to palm-mute *at* the bridge or it doesn't work, you don't get any tone at all.

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2014 10:07 am     Much Appreciation

Good afternoon...thanks to all for your insight...I'll keep workin' at it!