| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp Dilemma (moved)
Bruce Morrison

Panama City Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 4:37 pm    

I've found the guitar I'm going to buy... going to have to travel 5 hrs (one way) to pick it up, but that's fine. The fellow selling it is also interested in selling me his Peavey Renown 400 (15") for $200. I hadn't planned on purchasing an amp, as I had noticed a few people using Genz-Benz bass amps on the forum, and I have a particularly nice one (Genz-Benz ShuttleMax 12.0 2x600 watts). Alternatively, I have Line6's 212 Flextone III XL (150 watts stereo) which I used for rhythm gtr in a rock band, and it too is loud.

The question is, can I meet my short-term needs with what I already have, AND/OR is the Renown too good a deal to pass up? I really don't have room for the amps I have now, but I'd hate to have passed up a good opportunity if I end up needing it later.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 5:34 pm     Fair price for that amp.

The Peavey Renown is a great amp and the 15 inch speaker is what I use. You can do with what you have, but if the amp is clean, $200.xx is a fair price for a quality amp. They are however heavy and many users here go for the lighter stuff. I have the room and a pile of various amps so for me one more makes no difference. You may be happier with the Nashville 112 that so many of the players now use. Good luck.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2014 2:44 am     Re: Amp Dilemma (moved)

Bruce Morrison wrote:
Alternatively, I have Line6's 212 Flextone III XL (150 watts stereo) which I used for rhythm gtr in a rock band, and it too is loud.
Apples and kumquats. Something about the pedal steel EATS headroom. In order for a steel to sound as loud as a guitar running through (for instance) a Deluxe Reverb, you're gonna need a Twin or similar.
Quote:

The question is, can I meet my short-term needs with what I already have, AND/OR is the Renown too good a deal to pass up? I really don't have room for the amps I have now, but I'd hate to have passed up a good opportunity if I end up needing it later.

I'd jump on the Renown. If your "short term needs" don't include gigging, what you have on hand will meet your current needs. I learned (and did my first five gigs) on an Ampeg B-15N. It had great tone, but lacked reverb.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2014 5:14 am    

What you already have is fine, but that amp is easily worth $200 if it's working well. It's an oldie, but does have the "right knobs" for pedal steel. On a "package deal" he may even knock off a few more bucks! (After all, you did drive 5 hours to see it. Winking )

Goferit )
Bruce Morrison

Panama City Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2014 6:19 pm    

As a follow up, I DID purchase the amp. I A/B'd it next to my Genz-Benz PRACTICE amp (Shuttle 3.0), and tonally, to my ears, it didn't sounds a good. However, I will say that at higher volumes than I was willing to toy with at the time, I don't doubt it'll excel, since the response did seem more even as I cranked it. Either way, it was only $200. Thanks for all the suggestions, it helped with the decision.