| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitar shops/dealers ?
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2003 7:52 pm    

Are there any steel shops or dealers in Indianapolis ?? I may be over there late January. Just curious.
Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2003 8:27 pm    

There may be a store that has a few inexpensive psg's as part of what is mostly a non-psg inventory, but I don't think there is a place in Indy where psg is a significant part of their business.

Unless a store exists that I'm not aware of, (other Hoosiers please correct me if I'm wrong), there isn't much happening in the whole state.
Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2003 8:37 pm    

Ok, I'm jumping in on this one.
I was born & raised there, & believe I know the music scene in Indy fairly well though I left in '88. I do go back there quite often now to work & visit friends.

Having said that, unless somebody has opened an exclusive steel shop that I haven't heard about, as a rule, the best store for pedal steel would be Arthur's Music, 931 Shelby, in the Fountain Square district of Indy. They're not going to have a lot of steels there, but they'll normally have a few, & not just beginner guitars. Last two visits there maybe a year or so ago they had a beautiful, not tinkered with, mint Pro III. Fairly recently they had a nice looking Dekley.
I worked & taught there when I was a teen, & Mr. Arthur was always very encouraging & open to new things. Saw & played my 1st Sierra there.

Short answer; not steel exclusive in Indy if I'm not mistaken, but IMHO, Arthur's would be the best bet. As far back as I can remember Mr. Arthur & family have done MUCH over the years to promote steel in Indy. They are good folks, & they are my friends.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2003 1:08 pm    

Thats great guys thanks, I'm not looking for anything specific but thought that if I'm going all that way I could use the opportunity to look at some steels. I'm toying with the idea of buying a new one and nobody out this way has anything decent (apart from me that is) (MCI D10) - I would like to try out a Carter and a Zum but no one in NZ has one. I might have to plan a side trip on the way home, and maybe visit Bud !!