| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roosevelt Collier sighting...
Jon Sawyer

Richmond, California
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 3:17 pm    

I was very fortunate to have been in NYC last weekend for the Allman Brothers Band final 3 Beacon Theater shows; since the remaining 4 scheduled for this week/weekend were cancelled because Gregg Allman went in the hospital for Bronchitis. Get well Gregg! Actually, the last 2 Beacon shows last weekend were minus Gregg, and were completely awesome nonetheless. That's a whole other thread though.

Anyway, on Saturday night, 3/22, I caught Roosevelt Collier and Kofi Burbridge (organ/flute) & Friends playing at Lucille's/BB King's in Times Square. He played strictly lap steel. The friends were Ron Johnson on bass and Eric Kalb on drums. It was a late night after Allman Bros set. Prior to this I had only seen Roosevelt sitting in on large stage ensembles playing pedal steel where he was mostly lost in the mix. I have to say, seeing him up close in this 4 piece ensemble was outstanding. By the time I arrived the set had already started and I was caught off guard by his refreshing unorthodox approach, and also his unorthodox guitar. I couldn't figure out what it is, 8 strings with a frankensteined sidebar contraption attached that enables him to play standing up. He was playing with a thumbpick only, no fingerpicks. So, I walk in to hear blaring distorted lead lap steel with what sounded like a doubler pedal. At various times he also used a wah wah pedal and at times he played too loud. Still, he basically killed it all night. Oteil Burbridge came to replace Ron on bass for Jimi's Band of Gypsys tune Who Knows, and they quite simply destroyed it. If ever there was any shredding done on a lap steel this would be the perfect example. I wish somebody would have recorded it. What a beast! With young players like Roosevelt and AJ Ghent out there working, I believe the future of the instrument is in good hands. Here are some pictures from photographer Dino Perrucci's website from the other night.

I also checked out his Facebook page and he has a lot more pictures there: https://www.facebook.com/RooseveltTheDr/photos

Later All~

Last edited by Jon Sawyer on 28 Mar 2014 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 6:42 am    

Thanks for sharing! I saw Roosevelt Collier with the Lee Boys at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco in 2006. He was an amazing pedal steel player in the Sacred Steel tradition - I can only imagine what a great lap steel player he'd be as well.