| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Custom Triple 8 circa late 40's early 50's
Ryan Snyder

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2014 3:25 pm    

Hey Enthusiasts!

I'm glad I found this forum. I don't play steel but I do play and build acoustic instruments (primarily flat-top guitar and banjo). A friend recently came across an old pedal steel in need of some TLC and gave it to me thinking I could use a new project. After a few hours of internet research I'm 99.9% sure its and old Fender Custom Triple 8. It definitely needs some work and its a little outside of my comfort zone. All three heads seem to be working ok although the tuners feel a bit looser than what I'm used to on my more modern instruments. It is missing the tailpiece/pickup unit from the 3rd neck. The other two are intact and appear pretty clean. I don't know if the pickups are shot but I plugged it in to an amp and it hummed and made white noise and clicked when I tapped the strings but it but it didn't ring. I have a feeling that it can be brought back to life with a good cleaning and maybe re-soldering some connections. It has a pedal in the case but its rough. The previous owner had rigged a coat hanger to connect the pedal to the string benders. It looks like an easy fix with the proper materials.

I'm curious to know what the value of this instrument might be? In this condition or refurbished? If anyone out there has any knowledge of or interest in this instrument I'd appreciate your input! As a musician I would love to get it in the hands of someone who appreciates it and can give it new life.
I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Thanks!
Ryan Snyder
http://snyderacousticworks.doodlekit.com/
Ryan Snyder

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 4:51 am    

If anyone out there might be interested here are a couple of pics....

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 7:34 am    

My guess is the tuners are loose because of their age and lack of string tension. If you can find parts, why not re-furb it? As is, with the hanger holes drilled through it, I'd be hard-pressed to spend over a grand on it.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 9:09 am    

Quote:
I'm curious to know what the value of this instrument might be?

AS IS, somewhere around $450 to $550 IMO. One pickup/bridge plate is missing, the two pickups on it don't work, there are holes drilled in the body, the tuners are a question mark, and parts are unavailable or extremely hard to find and expensive. A good 'handyman's special", but not worth more than a few hundred dollars, as is, IMO.

Nice, complete, all original Custom T-8's with Case sell for about $1200 to $1400.

Ryan, if you post this in the "Steel Without Pedals" section of the forum you'll get more replies.
Ryan Snyder

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 12:43 pm    

Hey Guys. Thanks for your input. I think Drew is right about the tuners. I haven't tried pulling them up to pitch but the ones with a little bit of string tension feel good and tight.
Doug, I'd be tickled to find a buyer in the $400-$500 range especially if they appreciate the instrument and can make it play! I'll take your advise and hop on over to the "steel without pedals" and see what kind of feedback I get.
Thanks again. This site is a great resource!
Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 3:43 pm    

Man, I'd love to know the history of this one.

Added plunger changer on the back neck.

Hotrodded tone knob and position for the Boo-Whaa.

Reckon this here guitar has some stories to tell!