| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gospel steel player for Happy Goodman Family
David L. Turner

Killen , Alabama
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 2:00 am    

Who was the steel player behind the Happy Goodman Family on the 1960s Sunday morning program Gospel Singing Jubilee?
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 4:26 am    

Rabbit Easter played for them for years, but I don't know if he went back that far. Very Happy Great country gospel PSG player, does some other instruments very well also.
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 8:17 pm    

Probably Jack Smith????

I know that Rabbit/Steve Easter was playing for them in the 80's.

Maybe we will here from Steve on this one. He should know who it was.

I remember Steve playing a black Emmons and a Session 500 when he was with Johnny Cook, Rusty, Sam and Tanya Goodman.

Does anyone remember Chip Horner, from Norman, Ok., that played for the Goodmans just before Rabbit?

Last edited by Mark Greenway on 20 Mar 2014 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2014 2:14 am    

I know Jack Smith played on the 1971 Wanted Live album when he was 16 years old. If it was early 60's it probably was not him.
David L. Turner

Killen , Alabama
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2014 2:27 am    

I took the clues here and looked up Jack Smith. He's a member of this forum too . The player in the youtube videos is Jack Smith. He started young.
Gary Reed

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 3:16 pm    

What are some of the albums Jack played on with The Goodman Family?
Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 5:08 pm     Steel Player for The Happy Goodman Family

Gary, I may not be an absolute authority on this topic but I live in same town in Kentucky that the Goodman Family called their "home" for several decades and I would have to believe that the most noteworthy steel player the Goodmans ever had was indeed Jack Smith. I know he started with the Goodmans very young, not sure if it could have been late '60s or early '70s but when I first met Jack probably in mid '70s he was with them then. He later left and was replaced by a couple of other good steel players, one of which was Gary Dees; the other player's name I can't recall. Gary Dees was very good, and very fast on steel. However; that being said, in my opinion I don't think I have ever heard any steel player that played more tastefully than Jack Smith. I believe that his ability on steel could be compared with the likes of Emmons, Green, Myrick and a handful of others. Wish I could have seen him again before his untimely recent death. Besides being a great picker he was a gentlemen as well from my experience. May he rest in peace playing for the Master now. Roger Sad Sad