| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic

How many Fender cable users would buy a knee lever system for their steel?
Right Now
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Within 3 mo
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Within 6 mo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Within 1 year
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Author Topic:  Fender knee lever poll
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 4:30 am    

Let's see who is up for some levers....
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 5:42 am    

I don't have a Fender Steel, but when I did have one, a Fender 2000, I installed a knee lever kit that I had made by Sho-Bud. It was a RKL and lowered the E's. I used the cable from the 10th floor pedal for the Knee Lever.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 8:00 am    

Why no option for "No, thank you"? Neutral
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 8:41 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Why no option for "No, thank you"? Neutral

Because it does nobody any good-

We want a place for 'someone' to see if there are enough people that would buy a set for him to take the time to make them!
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 9:42 am    

The prototype set of 4 on my 800 was the absolute best set up, I have ever seen on any cable Fender anywhere.. Simple, smooth precise.... I can't tell you how many people emailed me looking to have a set made/installed... A LOT of guys would buy that wonderful set up... I KNOW there is a sizable demand.
You can install and tune a set of 4 in under an hour, with no mods to the guitar, not even a screw hole.... Sheer genius... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 6:09 pm    

While I like yahl's work, I do not like his fender knee system. I install used Emmons three piece knee levers. It is a simple knee to install and they fold down retaining cable tension and allow the guitar to fit in its case. The preoccupation with a knee lever system that preserves the originality of a Fender cable guitar is overkill, cluttered, and completely unnecessary.
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2014 6:08 am    

Got pics of that install Chris?

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

Thanks

Jay
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2014 7:53 am    

Chris Lucker wrote:
While I like yahl's work, I do not like his fender knee system. I install used Emmons three piece knee levers. It is a simple knee to install and they fold down retaining cable tension and allow the guitar to fit in its case. The preoccupation with a knee lever system that preserves the originality of a Fender cable guitar is overkill, cluttered, and completely unnecessary.

100% Wrong.. period..

it installs in MINUTES .. It is tuned and ready to gig within 1/2 hour if you know the Fender cable system, and 1 hour if you don't..
We are talking 4 knees here.. Nothing is rigidly attached to the steel, and the entire system can be taken of in minutes with a phillips screwdriver, and there is not one sign that anything was ever put on the guitar.. Nothing, NO screw holes.. Guitar maintains 100% originality.. Not only that, it was smooth and flawless. It was a feat of engineering genius, .. The parts were all ultra precision.. NO other knee lever system is close.. I know because I have seen and owned others.. No one knows the system Mike designed better than I do,except Mike himself. It was simple and brilliant. I showed it to other steel players, and they were astounded.. I still hope Mike finds the time to produce it... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2014 4:36 pm    

Jay Fagerlie wrote:
Got pics of that install Chris?

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

Thanks

Jay

On this ten pedal 400 there is one Emmons three piece knee lever near the changer and a JCH knee that is the LL. These two knees just work the Es. On the bench now I have a 400 that has Emmons three piece knees for both the RR and LL. You can see from the photo how easy they are to install. You simply attach a tension spring behind the knee to maintain the cable tension when the knee is collapsed. On the rodded knee in the photo I used 3/32 threaded rods and attached the same loops that Fender uses to set the stops at the endplate. I added heat shrink tubing on the loops to keep them from falling off the fingers when the knee is collapsed or when the high E is raised to F#.
I could easily put on four knees, but with so many pedals, you cannot use four knees.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2014 5:04 pm    

The cable assembly uses a Fender pulley or similar simply made from erector set parts, a cable that leads to a turnbuckle that you can make with a lathe and LH and RH taps and dies, or simply buy the off-the-shelf aircraft cable turnbuckle for 1/16th cable, then another length of cable which is soldered to the inside of a length of brass tube which goes through the Emmons three piece knee lever flag. On this tubing you can place a shaft collar of a Sho-Bud adjustable barrel. Finally, a tension spring is attached to the brass tubing and fixed to whatever you wish to maintain tension on the cable so it will not fall off the fingers.
The cable lengths between the pulley, the turnbuckle, the tubing etc can be varied to fit the application.

Using Emmons three piece knees, or even the earliest Marlen knees, you have the advantage of being able to place them farther under the guitar for better feel and playability. But if you like your knees on the back apron, you can place them there as well.
I hope no one is offended that I put holes in this Fender 400, but when you add six pedals and two knees some eggs are going to get broken.

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2014 10:37 am    

Chris I was wondering why you had stirrups on your steel until I saw the saddle behind it.