| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel in a 3-piece band
Kenny Rolling

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2014 8:51 pm    

I've been playing guitar in bands for over 30 years and just recently "discovered" the steel guitar. I picked up a lap steel at a pawn shop last summer and quickly installed a couple of my benders on it with a cable pull system. I tune it to open "E", one pedal raising the B to C# and the other pedal raising the G# to an A. Now, I am working a few songs into my band's sets with the steel.

We are a 3-piece band so I do wind up playing a lot of guitar style rhythm stuff through the verses and chorus or a lot of finger style stuff throughout the whole song but I've found a few songs that I can play and sing at the same time.

The short list of songs so far is:
I Sang Dixie - Dwight Yoakam
Funny How Time Slips Away - Willie Nelson
Set em up Joe - Vern Gosdin
Just Between you and Me - Charlie Pride
Your Man - Josh Turner
This one's Gonna Hurt You - Marty Stuart
The Happy Song - Janitor Bob and the Armchair Cowboys

I would appreciate ideas for more selections within this genre of songs that could be arranged for Steel, Bass and Drums.
Wayne Neal

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2014 11:46 pm    

Too cold at home Mark chesnut
When did you stop loving me George strait
Together again Buck owens
Tennessee whiskey George Jones

Just about any steel istrumental...steel guitar rag - remington ride - last date - Buds bounce - sleep walk.

I been playing lead for many years and started playing pedal steel too. I also play in a 3 pc. band. I set behind the steel and play guitar and steel on 90% of what we do.(I also sing and play fiddle and mandolin).

It is not as hard as you think to get from one to the other on a song as long as you have both instuments on at the same time(not on an A-B box). I rigged me up a bar holder so I can put my bar in the same spot every time and it dont fall down between the necks when I am not using it. Also rigged me up a string with a hair tie on each end to wrap around the neck(hook on the keys) and hang a hand towel in so I dont scratch my steel or my tele. Rig you up some sort of stand to put that baby on legs if you haven't already. Smile

It takes a little practice but once you get used to it - its pretty cool. Cool

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 12:20 am    

It's really not that bad Jerry, My band has had about every combination possible... small gigs=Me on S/D-10 or acoustic or electric or once in a while dobro, My GF on bass/drums(and I do mean at the same time lol)or just bass and Our rhythm player.
It's really not as limiting as You would think even w/o the drums, We do a lot of classic country, western swing and a bit of bluegrassy folk type stuff.
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.
Kenny Rolling

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 4:19 pm    

I'd like to find a few more up-beat songs... swing, shuffle, two-step types. It's fairly easy to come up with slow songs that we can pull off as a 3 piece but the faster songs take a bit more pondering.
Wayne Neal

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 9:45 pm    

Kansas city, The other woman-Ray Price, Big city-Merle Haggard,Aint livin Long like this Waylon Jennings...here are a few we do.

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2014 7:08 am    

Big City fits the bill!

Sure isn't anything recent that works... I used the top 100 chart rankings for the past 3 years and found nothing that I could do this way.