| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cleartune Ap (or, weird discovery for the morning)
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 4:40 am    

Hopefully this will spare someone else moments of confusion, despair, and the fear that the laws of physics are coming undone.

Put new strings on the E9 neck of my Sho Bud Professional last night. Stretched them out and played them, then repeated this morning. Steel sounded great before taking the Cleartune ap to it for fine tuning. It was a good bit sharp, so I started dialing in the Sid Hudson E9 tuning and things just didn't look or sound right. Thought maybe I was souring on Sid's tuning. Went back to my own E9 settings: no better. Really sour mismatches between fifths (A-E, E-B) and everything in between, And I'm not talking JI vs. ET here; more like ET vs C3PO: strange, alien, robotic cacophony.

Started wondering whether an ap can go bad (which I doubt), or if maybe I just needed a fourth cup of coffee (or a shot or bourbon to counteract the third cup, but I digress...). I went back to the Options screen in Cleartune, and suddenly remembered something:

At the bottom, just below the field where I change the temperament, is a field labeled "Temperament Key." I vaguely recalled that a few days ago, when tuning the C6 neck on one of my guitars, I went to change the temperament to Sid's C6 and accidentally hit that "Temperament Key" button. It was now set to E-flat. I switched it back to C and, Ahhhhhhhhhh.... everything went back to normal. The Steel tuned back up beautifully, laws of nature were restored, and there's still a little coffee in the pot: time for cup number four!!
Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 6:28 pm    

Interesting! I have the clear tune app on my iPhone 4, and when I go to The info screen that you show in your post, I don't have that 5th line for 'temperment key'.The rest of the info is the same on mine as you show in your post. I've never changed mine from Equal Temperment. I could not find an 'about' page for the app,but mine must be different from yours, because I don't have a Sid Hudson option for temperment. How did you get the Hudson temperment into your app and do you know what version of Cleartune you have?
Thanks, Larry Robertson, Parker, CO
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2014 7:18 pm    

Larry,

I believe I have version 2.1.3. Not sure why you wouldn't have that Temperament Key button. I had to add the Sid Hudson temperaments in. To add a custom temperament, click the "i" at the lower right on the first screen

Then click the Temperament button on the next screen

Then click the Edit button in the upper right of the temperament screen

Then click the "+" in the upper right of the next screen

Which will bring you to the screen where you can enter a new temperament

Sid Hudson's temperament's can be found here:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=241523[url][/url]

Hope that helps!
Dan
Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 1:10 pm    

Hi Dan, Thanks for the tips. BTW: how did you get those screen shots of Cleartune?, and how did you find out which version you have? What device are you running it on? Sorry for all the ??'s I use the app a lot. Larry
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2014 2:53 pm    

Hey Larry,

To get the screen shot on my iphone, I push down the on/off switch and the round "everything" button simultaneously.

I'm guessing ion the version of Cleartune; that's the latest version and they say I don't need an update.
Riley Hart

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2014 2:18 pm    

This may not be totally correct, but one test I conducted on the cleartune app resulted in this outcome;
(I have posted on this previously, and do not recall following up)

When these temperaments are created, one must remember that they deal with the distance between intervals, which is how they know to flatten the thirds, etc. The assumption is that we are assigning the root of the affected key relative to the 3rds, 5ths, etc.

My problem was I am tuning a universal starting out with an open Bb6 tuning, so obviously the relationships of either C or E would not render correct and true, since they are in the wrong degrees of the scale.

I discovered that the key selection which is defaulted to C, had to be dropped to Bb to bring the intervals into the correct relationship with each other. I understand all the Peterson tuners since the VSAM also have this function.
Hope,this helps...