| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Breaking the 3rd string
J. David Carrera

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2014 11:51 pm    

Hey guys,

I've been breaking the 3rd (G#) string on my 77 MSA classic a bunch lately. It started a week ago, I broke 2 strings within 10 minutes, I then put a 12 on there (the past strings were 11s) and it stayed for a week but then today I broke the 12 and then broke another 11. The strings break between the roller nut and the tuning key, often as soon as I step on the B pedal. Any hints on how I can stop this from happening? The strings have been several different brands. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 12:04 am    

Is the nut roller for that string moving/turning freely? And is the string straight all the way to the tuning key - no sideways bending?

The only cases I have had with strings breaking between tuning key and nut, were caused by a combination of hang/slippage over the nut and a pinch in the turns around the shaft of the tuning key. Caused increased tension and bending in that area ... and ... snap!
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 7:20 am    

More wraps on the tuning key post. Like at least 5. and use jagwire strings.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 6:20 pm     Breaking third string

Check the roller on 3rd string make sure it rolls smoothly. Cut your new string 2 key heads long or longer. make sure you have enough wraps to get off the string hole on the key shaft. Changed a 3rd on stage one night did not get enough wraps, The next day working on a kickoff it broke right where it crossed the string hole on the key. The string flipped across my left hand and bar and buried to the bone in my ring finger on my right hand, Ouch Ouch. Check the string hole to see if it has a rough place that is sharp enough to put a sharp kink in the string to be safe. A little stoning and polish may help. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 9:04 pm     Hummmmmmmmmm.......................

When you install the NEW string, how do you go about it?

I usually bring it up somewhere in the vicinity of E or F and let it rest for awhile. Then I crank it up
a little more and test how it feels on the tuning peg as I do it. I continue this until it's all the way up to G#. I take my time and I've had the same string on my Emmons now for a couple of years.

And..........they're not jaguar strings either.
J. David Carrera

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2014 11:55 pm    

Thanks for the tips folks. I put more wraps on this one and it's made it through the day. I've broken more stings in 5 months of playing steel than I have of 14 years of playing guitar. Hopefully this solves it.
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 7:09 am    

I use Ernie Ball's for my pedal steels, when I can find them. They have extra windings on the ball end, and thus can take more punishments. I also recommend the other fixes proposed here.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 8:14 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:

Ricky, just making sure you received that rather larger order OK. As always thanks for your repeat business.

Sid Hudson
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 2:28 pm    

Quote:
Ricky, just making sure you received that rather larger order OK. As always thanks for your repeat business.

What large order? Winking
J. David Carrera

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 1:40 pm    

Gonna try out some Jagwire strings cause I'm breaking normal ones still.

Whats the story with the different sets? Nickel/Stainless? Standard/MSA?
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 4:29 pm    

Which end is the string breaking, keyhead or changer?
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 5:23 pm    

The only times I have broken a string at the keyhead were caused by a sharp edge on the hole in the tuner shaft. You might correct this by putting more wraps on the tuner. What I did was use a very small round file and carefully round off the edges of that hole in the tuner shaft. Maybe a Dremel tool with a very small tapered grinding stone would work better. You only need to smooth the edges of the hole.
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 5:31 pm    

Right. I have seen several new guitars do this. I used a dremmel and worked on it like a dentist. Just round the edges of the hole thru the tuning key. I also have had a run of bad strings where I had 2 or 3 in a row that never made it up to pitch.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 5:49 pm     Re: Hummmmmmmmmm.......................

Ray Montee wrote:
When you install the NEW string, how do you go about it?

I usually bring it up somewhere in the vicinity of E or F and let it rest for awhile. Then I crank it up
a little more and test how it feels on the tuning peg as I do it. I continue this until it's all the way up to G#. I take my time and I've had the same string on my Emmons now for a couple of years.

And..........they're not jaguar strings either.

Unless I break one on stage and have to hurry and replace it, I do like Ray does. If I have time, I will only take it up to F#. Hours later, or preferably the next day, I will then take it up to G#. I used to have problems with them breaking on installation if I took them right up to G#. Even on stage, I will take it to F# or G and start stretching the string and then take it to G#.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 5:51 pm    

Quote:
The strings break between the roller nut and the tuning key, often as soon as I step on the B pedal.

Quote:
The only times I have broken a string at the keyhead were caused by a sharp edge on the hole in the tuner shaft. You might correct this by putting more wraps on the tuner. What I did was use a very small round file and carefully round off the edges of that hole in the tuner shaft. Maybe a Dremel tool with a very small tapered grinding stone would work better. You only need to smooth the edges of the hole.

I must be missing something here. If it was a problem with/at the tuning key hole, wouldn't that be where the string breaks? Not between the roller and tuning key.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 6:14 pm    

You might try swapping the third string tuner around with one of the others and see if your problem ceases. If so, then I would recommend following Bill's advice on removing the burr on the relocated tuner.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 10:05 pm    

If you have recently started breaking strings I would think something has changed from normal. Could be a bad batch of strings. I use Curt Mangan strings and very seldom ever break one. If you use an electronic tuner make certain calibration has not been changed. Next, a somewhat common problem is when a string is raised it is overtuned and raises too sharp then the lowering finger is dragged forward and the string settles down to pitch. Watch the tuner and slowly engage pedal and make sure at no time does the string go sharp of "A". The most common 3rd string breaking cause has been addressed, that being not enough windings on the peg to move the string away from the hole in the peg. Each wind leaves a kink in the string and it can easily break in a kink. Extra windings causes less stress on the kinks. If the string is breaking away from the key peg then that is not the problem. I no longer "pet" the string. I just put it on and crank it up to pitch. I have come to believe it makes no difference how quickly I run the string up too pitch. I use .0115 (11 1/2) for 3rd string.
Jerry

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 8:40 am    

Jerry, I break more 3rd strings getting them up to pitch quickly than I do playing on them. This has been the case on every guitar I have owned and several different string brands. But in the heat of the battle onstage, you don't get the time to gradually get it up to pitch.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 1:54 pm    

You could try bringing them to F# or G, tugging a few times, then continuing on to G#
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 2:18 pm     This oldie seems apprepriate

The Steel Guitarists Prayer
by Mason Naylor

Lord I pray that I may never
fail to use the right knee lever.
And while I'm pressing Pedal B
Guide my foot past A and C.

Help me remember whatever the key.
Is it pedal up or down of with the knee?
And give me the strength no matter how far
To carry my steel back to the car.

And may I ask as my final plea
That I don't break string number three.
Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 3:23 pm     Re: This oldie seems apprepriate

Mike Perlowin wrote:
The Steel Guitarists Prayer
by Mason Naylor

Lord I pray that I may never
fail to use the right knee lever.
And while I'm pressing Pedal B
Guide my foot past A and C.

Help me remember whatever the key.
Is it pedal up or down of with the knee?
And give me the strength no matter how far
To carry my steel back to the car.

And may I ask as my final plea
That I don't break string number three.

Ed..RIP!!!
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2014 7:57 pm    

Sid Hudson wrote:
Ricky Davis wrote:

Sid Hudson

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2014 12:24 pm    

I guess there are more people like me that read thru the posts too fast and miss something like where the string was breaking. Then there are other times when people edit their post later to include something they left out. Not saying that happened here at all. I guess it's all just part of participating on the Forum. Anyway, maybe the advice about the sharp hole in the tuner will help someone else.
Kenny Brown

Auburn, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 12:34 pm    

Everyone else has great ideas that you need to check out on your guitar.

Next thing I don't think I saw anyone mention (my apologies otherwise) next time you change your 3rd string, run out your nylon tuner a half to a whole turn flat. This way as you're bringing your 11 in tune a little more gradually which is easier on the string since you don't have to be in a hurry.

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 2:12 pm    

what strings are you using for replacements ? Did you say, did anyone ask ?

To be breaking that many strings in such a short amount if time something is dramatically wrong.

As stated above, many of us have not broken that many strings in years.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website