| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is Hypertension Common Among Steel Guitarists?
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 10:45 am    

I don't recall reading about home remedies that might be very helpful in many hypertensive problem situations. I'd appreciate hearing from others.
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 12:17 pm    

I was diagnosed with hypertension over 20 years ago but just slightly above normal (130/84). I take 10mg of zestril daily, when I remember, but the only time my level seems high is in the Dr.s office. My son is an EMT and when he checks its normal or low (110/65-70). I think the standards change to help sell medicine.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 3:16 pm    

Quote:
I don't recall reading about home remedies that might be very helpful in many hypertensive problem situations. I'd appreciate hearing from others.

I've heard that some say bypassing your posts works for them... Winking
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 3:36 pm    

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Walter Glockler

Northern New Mexico
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 5:00 pm    

Ben - same here, elevated at the doctor's office, normal at home. This is called WCS = White Coat Syndrom.
Bill Waskiewicz

Deerfield Beach, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 5:05 pm    

Good one Barry. Smile Smile
Bill W.
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 5:27 pm     Re: Is Hypertension Common Among Steel Guitarists?

Bill Hankey wrote:

Bill, if I were you, I wouldn't be asking for medical advice from an internet forum.

This is a question that should definitely be answered by your doctor.
Don't mess around with Hypertension.

Rick
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 6:01 pm     An epidemice, perhaps?

It cost me my long-held 1st Class Airman's Medical Certificate and thus any hope for gaining airline pilot status.

It has to be steel guitar related? Crying or Very sad
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2014 7:36 am    

The super markets are jammed full of tasty foods on a regular basis. Oftentimes I become concerned about the impact that some delicious foods with their high concentrations of SODIUM have on sodium sensitive patients who are on BP medications. Give me a break! How many MERCHANTS really go all out by reminding consumers of their goods and the contents therein. Save your breath.. very little satisfaction can be attained by asking questions. For me it's an important issue in my music; as well as everything that depends on a feeling of wellness.
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2014 10:17 am    

Bill Hankey wrote:
How many MERCHANTS really go all out by reminding consumers of their goods and the contents therein. Save your breath.. very little satisfaction can be attained by asking questions.

The information that you need is on the label of the product that you may want to purchase.
Many times, you can go online and find the nutrition information that you need as well.
At some point, you need to be responsible for yourself.

Again, I'd go to my doctor and see what he/she might have to say.

Rick
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2014 10:50 am    

Rick,

There are numerous afflictions that doctors have nothing to offer in the line of advice. The only positive statement I've heard in my visits is, "Don't add salt at the table." There is nothing positive in statements of that kind. It's just common sense! As far as reading labels.. not all foods list the amount of harmful ingredients on their labels.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2014 11:18 am    

Hypertension is nothing to take lightly, and is something you MUST talk to your doctor about. If you have untreated hypertension, your chances of having a stroke or heart attack greatly increase. Blood presure medication is about the closest thing we have to a Live Forever pill.

Don't be a fool. See your Doctor and do not going looking for advice on medical matters on an online forum.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2014 11:52 am    

Bill,

I've been in touch with some of the best doctors in Berkshire County. I'm no stranger to booking doctor's appointments. Yours is excellent advice for those who may shun visiting their physician over too long periods of time.
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2014 1:11 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
Rick,

There are numerous afflictions that doctors have nothing to offer in the line of advice.

I've been to the doctor several times over the last year. Believe me, I know there are afflictions that doctors have no advice to offer their patients.
However, high blood pressure is not one of those type of afflictions.

"Don't add salt at the table. There is nothing positive in statements of that kind".

You may not like their advice, but if your doctor told you this, then you need to listen.
Since this is something within your control, I would say that is positive, IMO.

"As far as reading labels.. not all foods list the amount of harmful ingredients on their labels".

If you don't trust what the labels say, or what might be published online, then my advice to you would be to eat simple.
If you have doubts about what's in something, don't eat it.

My advice:

-Get some exercise (I need to take this advice seriously too)

-Good nutrition

-TAKE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATION

-GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR

I sincerely hope you get this worked out.
The sooner, the better.

Rick
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2014 2:44 pm    

I eliminated salt 20? yrs ago, try to buy low salt products.
still sky rockets at the drs office...................
man I cant eat but one frito anymore for the salt..........
be weller bill.

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 11:02 am    

"I've been in touch with some of the best doctors in Berkshire County"

so...now you are trying some of the best quacks in Steel County? Smile

Advise remains the same: go to your doctor and give him your concerns.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 11:06 am    

BTW,

My partner's brother suffered a stroke at the age of 51. He now lives as a ward of the state in a nursing home. His left side is paralyzed and he can no longer form clear sentences. He will be that way for the rest of his life, and since his father is now 87, that could be a very long time. My partner visits her brother every Tuesday.

It is not a life I would wish on anyone. Go to your doctor.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 1:35 pm    

Bill,

I regret the misfortune that befell your partners brother. How very sad to see fate find its victims with the passing of time. Nearly as troublesome are the very difficult problems that defy solutions between patients and their doctors. Quite often it becomes a trial and error experience between the doctor and a patient.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 2:17 pm    

Bill,

If you are not connecting with your doctor or are having trouble communicating with them, I urge to seek out a different physician. Hypertension is a serious medical condition that needs immediate treatment if your symptoms persist. Try buying a blood pressure monitor for your home. I have one. They are not expensive. The key is to take it a different times during the day. Do not go by what your reading is in the doctors office because many people, including myself, suffer from "white coat"syndrome and it will often give you a misleading reading.

Do
Not
Mess
With
Hypertenstion!!!

Doctor not working for you: get a different doctor. Hypertension should be easily treated.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 3:46 pm    

Bill,

What you have stated makes a great deal of sense. My doctor has been limping around on a sore knee. In spite of that, he spent quite some time trying to arrive at the proper meds. I'll see him again on Monday.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 3:32 pm    

Of the hundreds of players who are troubled with hypertension, very few are willing to discuss their problem. Still classic curbstone experts will wade into a discussion uninvited, and offer their "knowledgeable" expertise on any subject matter. Putting their thoughts down on paper is a whole new ballgame. I'm thankful for my computer. In two shakes of the lamb's tail, information that I'm seeking, is just a touch away.
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 4:41 am    

Hypertension is a wide spread problem. Musicians MAY be more susceptible because of lifestyle. Poor diet, smoking, second hand smoke, over weight, no exercise, alcohol or drugs in excess, are all contributing factors. Last year my BP was slowly climbing. My doc gave me a reaming about my weight. Since then I have lost 65 pounds, walk a couple of miles a day, TRY to lay off salt, and was able to get BP down to where I now take a very low end medicine. When I saw my doc, I was proud of the fact that I had lost 65 pounds. Not a small feat for me. I was greeted with "Well that's pretty good, but ya gotta loose 40 more". I can do it, and with warm weather just around the corner, I am looking forward to getting out and walking. Besides, I can't put my weight back on...my wife has given away all my "large" clothing......but it really feels good to fit into a suit jacket or shirt that has been way to small for 20 years.......lol. Pay attention to your doc.....Hypertension WILL kill you in a second or turn you into a vegetable... my friends are passing away all to fast as it is..........
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 10:52 am    

Alan,

Thanks for taking the time to explain how to deal with hypertension when overweight, and consuming too much sodium are known contributors to the problem. I've found that if a person is able to safely exercise, the benefits are worth considering.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 4:01 pm    

In the doctors office my BP runs right at 110/62, heart rate 54. Both are a little lower when resting.
The doctors says he believes it's due to my don't worry or give crap attitude about everything. I play PSG with the same attitude. If you don't like the way I play it's your problem not mine!
I don't drink or smoke.
I think the real secret is my 4 to 8 cups a day of piñón Coffee.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 4:35 pm    

I suspicioned that this topic was going show “the higher your blood pressure the better steel player you are“.
So we need go no further than Bo Legg that proves the rule and Bill Hankey the exception that proves the rule. Laughing