| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Rus-ler D-10: $1,200 plus shipping: SOLD pending payment
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 10:45 pm    

Rus-ler D-10 from 1977. It originally had 9 floor pedals and about six or seven knee levers. I really don't remember. There was so much stuff on it that I couldn't get comfortable at the steel, so I started taking things off. All the parts removed have been retained and will come with the steel. You might need to locate a couple pull rods to rebuild the first position floor pedal.

Right now it has seven floor pedals, set up Day style, and four knee levers. The knee levers on the left leg have been angled to fit my position at the steel. They can be angled more, or less, to fit you.

It's not a hard steel to work on. It just takes patience and common sense. It's not like working on a push-pull Emmons. This is an all-pull guitar.

This steel has Schaller tuners, ball bearing roller nut assemblies, triple tap pickups, & a double raise/double lower changer. As I recall, the steel is built with a 3/4 inch thick hard rock maple deck. This steel have very little cabinet drop and almost no hysteresis due to the ball bearing roller nut assemblies. The caps on the changer fingers are stainless steel.

I played this steel hard for about five years in the late 70s. Since then it has mostly sat in a case in the garage. The case is pretty shot. It should have a new case, probably a split case. The steel is heavy. It weighs 75.6 pounds in the case with it's present pedal and lever configuration.

This would be a great D-10 for someone that likes to tear things apart, &/or someone that likes the sound of an old ZB. Sustains forever. It's a big fat sounding guitar.

Somewhere in my garage I have a Rus-ler file with a bunch of Rus-ler decals, if you don't like having a nameless steel. I also have the original bill of sale. This steel was custom built for me. My name is inscribed on the inside of an end plate. I'll keep looking for the file.

There is a crack behind the changer on the C6th neck. It does not affect the performance of the steel in any way. I have used black lacquer to touch up the finish in a few spots. It's only noticeable when very close to the steel. Basically this is a stunning looking steel, particularly under stage lights.

I'm really hoping to not have to ship this. I'll drive most anywhere in Northern California or Reno to make a sale. Also, I'll be travelling to Southern California on March 20th and staying in Newhall and then San Diego until March 25th. During that time period I'll meet up most anywhere in SoCal to make a sale.

Send me a message and let's talk. $1,200 for a vintage D-10!!! You can't go wrong.

Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 12 Mar 2014 9:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 4:38 pm    

Paul, there is something about this guitar that caught my attention. Not sure if it's the changer end or the tuner end or what. I LIKE IT. If you change your mind about shipping out of state let me know. Very Happy

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman, Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Evans 300 Hybrid, Evans SE-100, Evans FET500, Previous and Proud previous owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2014 8:58 pm    

I want to add: This steel is not for someone that wants a pristine steel that doesn't need anything done to it. Who ever buys this should be prepared to re-rod it to their copedent, add back at least one floor pedal, if not both, probably move the left knee levers more towards the keyhead, and possibly move some or all of the knee levers to the back apron, where they were originally, if that suits your position at the steel, and possibly add a vertical or two, etc.

It's a straight forward all-pull changer guitar, so not hard to work on. But I don't want to sell to someone who doesn't understand the situation. It's a great steel that just need some TLC to customize it for you.

It plays great right now, but I'm probably the only person that would be comfortable playing it. And the copedent is presently fairly limited.

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 11:28 pm    

That brings back memories. My first steel was a Rus-ler student model which was built like a small tank. When I finally decided to buy a non-student type, I asked Russ what he was selling that would be an upgrade but not too expensive. I ended up buying a semi-custom Rusler (he dropped the hyphen) S10 3/4 with a reddish birdseye maple top and solid aluminum frame. Sadly, I had to sell it to pay rent sometime in the 80's.

Nowadays I just look at steels and drool. I don't think my wife will let me buy one.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2014 6:28 am    

That's a really, really good price for that steel. I have an S-11 black RusLer with 5/4 that, I wouldn't sell for that price. It's a great steel and deal. If anybody wants to get the ZB sound and easy change copedant, it's the way to go.
Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2014 8:31 am    

Paul, check your PM's. Let see if we can make a deal. Those Key Heads and Ball Bearing Roller Nuts are keeping me up at night.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman, Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Evans 300 Hybrid, Evans SE-100, Evans FET500, Previous and Proud previous owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.
Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2014 10:08 am    

Thank You Paul. Razz Very Happy Smile Mr. Green