| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Powered Speakers
Ralph Newton

Middleville, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 6:35 am    

How would a Steel Guitar sound through something like this? JBL EON15 G2 Portable Powered Loudspeaker.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 12:16 pm    

The horn in most monitors makes them "less than ideal" for electric instruments, IMHO. Those types of speakers are mostly designed for voice and acoustic instruments.

I know some players do use them, but they all sound sorta "boxy" to me, probably due to the small cabinets.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 1:16 pm    

What Donny said. The small cabinet and the horn mean you won't have much bottom end. If you play a 6 string lap steel (in fairly conventional tunings), it might do alright, but most lap steel players prefer some breakup, so you'd need a breaky-uppy preamp.
If you already have one, you might get by with it for practice, but I got $3 that says it'd disappoint at a gig or jam session.
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 2:38 pm    

I use a QSC k1000 10 inch speaker and horn powered speaker. Unbelievably good sound. You don't need a lot of treble on your preamp to make up for the lack of highs that only one speaker provides. I get complimented on the tone all the time. And if you want bottom, put it on the floor and it will deliver.

Infinity D-10 Justice SD-10 Judge Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AXE III, Fender FRFR 12
Ralph Newton

Middleville, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 2:43 pm     Powered Speakers

I just wondered why I never hear anyone using them on the forum,recently saw a small group using them and the guitar player said he liked them.
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 5:20 pm    

well there are some single speaker powered cabinets available, ie the Furlong which is really a nice design and cabinet.

My feeling is that the steel is a full frequency instrument and you can not totally reproduce all the overtones with one speaker with limited frequency range. I am sure this is blasphemous to most of the steel community, but I have been very happy with this setup and so has Mickey Adams.

Infinity D-10 Justice SD-10 Judge Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AXE III, Fender FRFR 12
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2014 4:44 pm    

My home rig is currently 2 K12 QSC Powered Speakers, Sarno Octal, and Boss DD7 and a Boss Reverb.....2 DIE FOR TONE!!!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!