| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  stage monitor
Ray St.Clair

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 1:51 pm    

Ray St.Clair here in Tucson. I've started playing steel with an "alt" country band here and we've had a couple of gigs so far and all went well...considering. I've never played steel "out" before but have taken the "more is less" and "don't play over the vocals" to heart and so far, as I said, all went well. However...I had some trouble with hearing what's going on. They do use monitors (2) but we have no sound guy so the monitors are sorta' set for the vocalists and that's Ok but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a personal monitor for me ?? I'm using a Peavey 112 for the steel. They take the line out from the Peavey and that all seems to work well. I can use the Peavey for a monitor of what the steel sounds like, but obviously the rest is only in the stage monitors and since I'm sitting in the back of the group, I don't get a very good sense of what's going on. I was thinking of a "hot spot" or something like that to daisy chain out of the stage monitors (which are in front of the two vocalists) to get a better monitor situation. Ever used something like that?? If we had a sound guy things "might" be better but I still think I'd like something stronger than what I get from the stage mons that are 15 ft from me. If I ask them to turn them up so I can hear better, I'll bet the monitors would be too loud. Thoughts??
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 2:07 pm    

Don't try to "fix" the monitor situation - you'll never come up with a fix that would work everywhere, some venues have monitors with no way - or permission- to attach to them...

But....this may sound like I'm kidding, but I'm not - Use this as an excuse for them to put you up front!! Really, you are sitting down so they will see the whole band over and behind you....and otherwise, you won't be seen at all.

Tell them that this is a matter of being able to play up to the level that they would want....you can't play if you can't hear!!

Plus, even though we tend not to be as expressive as other band members, people really get off on seeing that crazy instrument up close...

->When I switched from stage rear to stage front, it made everything better for everyone....
Ray St.Clair

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 2:12 pm     stage monitoring

Hmmm...Never thought of that !! I'll suggest a reposition and see what "they" say. Probably be OK and I believe you when you say it made a difference. There is an opening up front and now that you mention it, other players here in Tucson are indeed up front. We'll see and thanks
Ray
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 2:23 pm    

Here is the key - you need a "stage personna" that will be fun for the band to make visible - for me, it just means wearing a top hat, like the piano players in the old west saloons (ever watch Deadwood?).

Some think that musical ability is key, others think the right equipment is the ticket....but really? It is all about the hat...

I only sit in the back if there absolutely isn't room to get the lead singers up front otherwise..

Ray St.Clair

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 2:41 pm     stage monitoring

Well I don't have a top hat and wearing a "bowler" ala Buddy Emmons seems a bit presumptuous at this point in my playing ability, but I'll give "the hat" some thought. I do have a very small diamond horseshoe tie tack that I wear in light of a huge horseshoe diamond ring which I understand was fashionable a while ago with the greats. Thanks again for the pix...Ray
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 3:31 pm    

Steve, it looks like everyone else in your band is left handed. Smile
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 3:32 pm    

Bill-
I flipped the pic to make it work as a facebook cover photo - good catch!
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 5:02 pm    

Bill Moore wrote:
Steve, it looks like everyone else in your band is left handed. Smile

Except the backup singer, but her shirt is backwards!
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 12:59 am    

Buy a cheap Kustom floor monitor or a Mackie Sm-150 powered or equivalent that mounts on a stand and you can control the level. Lotsa options out there but if it is a problem with overall mix vs stage volumes this may be another topic.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 5:56 am    

I am using a Mackie SRM 150 and it helps me to hear my self on vocals but I am pushing for in ear monitors for the band to cut on stage VOLUME !!!
One thing I am looking at is using a headphone amp like this. Altho it is not wireless it allows for people to plug in what ever type of ear buds they have.
Plus I can use it for a Headphone amp recording or mixing.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rolls-ra62c-6-channel-headphone-amp

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 9:10 am    

Ray,I've had good results with hot-spot type monitors for a long time.Puts what you need close to your ear without taking you through the stage-volume "event horizon".If your board has enough monitor sends,consider a separate monitor mix for your hotspot.