| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with George L cable
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 7:24 am    

Hi, I bought a long .155 George L cable and some George L .155 right angle plugs and try to make cables but it don't work!

I cut the cable to length I need, put it firmly in the plug try to have the pin inside the plug all the way in the cable and put the cap on without forcing the bend the cable.

The result is just noise, like if a ground is not making. What can I look for? thanks.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 7:47 am    

First make sure you have made a clean, flat, cut on the end of the cable...no frayed wire anywhere. Then press the cable all the way into the connector.

After you firmly seat the cable into the connector, you need to bend the cable, while pushing it into the connector, until it's at a right angle. Pushing in, and bending at the same time, is important for a good connection.

Now firmly hold the cable in place, and screw the cap onto it all the way. It can be hard to screw it all the way down, but but you have to do that in order to get a good ground connection. You should now have a good connection.

The biggest mistake some make is to not get a clean, flat, cut to begin with.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 8:39 am    

I don't like the right angle George L's connectors. I have a couple laying around in a drawer. They had a new model that the cable connected straight but those have been discontinued.

I only use the straight connectors.

BTW, I'm an ex amp tech.
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 10:14 am    

I will try the straight connector because I really can't get the right angle working.
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 12:00 pm    

Finally after a couple of try I got it, I made 3 cables and I hear a difference from the cable I had, I think I will like them!
Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 1:58 pm     Connectors

Shit-can those George-L connectors and put on these:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/308953.html

Even if you get those solderless connectors to work ONE time, they WON'T last! They will fail again and again and again and.......

The cable is great! The CONNECTORS are not.
Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 2:24 pm    

We have used George L cables and connectors for years and if they are done right they will last just fine.
Like Mike said you got to cut them good.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 2:29 pm    

The straight connectors are not a problem. I've got George Cables that I made back in the 80's and still going without problems.

But, the right angle is another story. I fixed one this past Wednesday evening at our monthly steel guitar club jam for one of our club members.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 4:29 pm    

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and here's mine. I've used these right angle connectors for many years with no problems. But you can't yank on them or beat them around like the old switchcraft plugs. If you are reasonably careful with your equipment they will last a long time.

After all, they are designed to be easily, and very quickly, repaired with common tool...a wire cutter (straight plugs needs a small screwdriver also). I like that a lot. Tear up a switchcraft , or similar, cable and you're dead in the water 'till you can get your soldering iron out. Or you can carry two or three times as many cords as you need for replacements. No thanks...Been there/done that too many times in the past. I'll stay with my George L connectors.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 7:22 pm    

Mike Wheeler wrote:
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and here's mine. I've used these right angle connectors for many years with no problems. But you can't yank on them or beat them around like the old switchcraft plugs. If you are reasonably careful with your equipment they will last a long time.

After all, they are designed to be easily, and very quickly, repaired with common tool...a wire cutter (straight plugs needs a small screwdriver also). I like that a lot. Tear up a switchcraft , or similar, cable and you're dead in the water 'till you can get your soldering iron out. Or you can carry two or three times as many cords as you need for replacements. No thanks...Been there/done that too many times in the past. I'll stay with my George L connectors.

I'm with Mike. I love the cables and the connectors. I have some that I've been using since the 1980's...with the old brass connectors. I also have some of the newer ones, including right-angle connectors. I have never, ever had one fail.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2014 4:17 am    

Agree with Mike and Lee, had George L cables for years , only had one right angle fail, when someone tripped over it and yanked it out, One minute later I had cut end off reseated cable and had it working again.Great cables and connectors.( oldest cable now twelve years old and still working) .Had more problems with conventional plugs and cables than I Have ever had with these cables.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
SCOTT TYLER

NEWINGTON,CONN.,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2014 8:14 am     George L's

Hey guys, just my 2 cents worth, but I NEVER use cutters on the wire. If you use a new single-sided razor blade it will make a good clean cut every time and just watch that you don't drive the set screw home too far. I've used George L's for years and never to make a good cable with this method.
Joshua Gibson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2014 11:41 pm    

SHARP razor blade!!!, FLUSH cut!!.
I've been using the straight and right-angle George L's plugs for......better then three years on My steel and My six-string and I will never go back to run of the mill cable's, the only trouble I've ever had is MAYBE having to cut a new connection for the ground.
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 2:19 am    

Never had a problem with the right angle plugs, they're great for pedal boards. You have to check them every so often to make sure they are tight. I use a utility knife with a fresh blade to cut the cable.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 3:53 am    

ooops double post

Last edited by Cartwright Thompson on 20 Feb 2014 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 4:22 am    

Here's what I do with GeorgeL cable ends, and they never fail...
Make sure you use a razor, NOT a wire cutter, as has already been stated..
Install the cable into the fitting with a little pressure to make sure the little center pin goes into the middle of the cable.. Now here's where I do something a bit different.. I turn the screw in the side that bites into the ground/shield wire until it leaves a circular indentation... most guys tighten it until it cuts, I don't... I take the wire out of the end, and with a pin, I remove the circular "plug" of of the cable, and reinstall the end.. Now I have a nice open wire for the screw, it doesn't need much pressure, and you never lose contact.. For me it has always worked better than digging through the wire to make contact.. I have several GeorgeL cables from the 70's that still work as new when done in this way.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Loren Morehouse

Meadowlands, MN USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 3:04 pm    

I agree with Jack!! I'm going to start soldering a different right angle but the straights have been excellent!! I've been using Geo L's since the 80's. Loren.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2014 11:28 am    

it always bugs me when some possibly less experienced player makes a blanket statement like that. 'they won't last' says the lad with the wisdom
of the ages. when in fact mine have lasted for 3 or more decades with no attention. so mr. paris, reconsider that. don't be so quick to spew false info.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2014 3:36 pm    

I've been using them for some 20 years, and have maybe 2 failures with right angle plugs - which were sorted in very short time ! and they always sound great.

I must say though that I do like the newer masters series right angle plugs - surprised they discontinued them as they were far superior.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 4:56 am    

I think that most of the "anti-George L's" sentiment comes from non steel guitar players. Lets face it, we don't hop around on stage much. The connections only get loose when the cords get moved around, at least that's my experience and I've been using them for about 25 years.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 5:20 am    

Does anyone know why they discontinued the Master Series right angle plugs?I have a few of them as well as the standard type, and found them to be very robust.Does anybody still have them in stock? Wouldn't mind finding a few of these plugs.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 6:46 am    

I tried to get a couple of the newer Master series right angle plugs the last time I got an order from George L's. That was when I found out they had been discontinued and no more in stock. They didn't say why they discontinued the item.