| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  10" speaker recommendations
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 6:50 pm    

I'm thinking of building a compact little 2x10 cabinet for for my GK MB200. Any recommendations on 10" speakers for pedal steel? I'm guessing a bass speaker would fare pretty well...

Also on a related note, does anyone know the benefits of building a divider for the speakers in a sealed cabinet?

Thanks,

Rick

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 10:44 pm    

If the speakers are well-matched you don't need a divider... the Ampeg 8x10 used four cells of two tens each. I'd be careful using bass guitar speakers... some of them don't do well over 2.5kHz, you often find tweeters these days in bass cabinets. I have a pair of Weber Texas 10's, similar to the California series, high-power... they sound great in a closed-back cab.

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 6:23 am    

Thanks for the tip, Stephen. Those Weber California 10's look tasty. Pardon my ignorance, but besides being the same model how would a pair of speakers be well-matched? If they were not well-matched and not separated would they interfere with each other somehow?

Thanks

Rick

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 6:51 am     10" speakers

I put some Eminence Lil Buddy speakers in a Super Reverb for 6 string playing
They sound more bassy (not so shrill on the top end)
I haven't tried PSG with them, but they might be worth a listen...just my 2 cents worth
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 1:25 pm    

Rick,

I play non-pedal steel guitar and happen to really like the sound of a 10 or 2X10" speaker. My only caution is to avoid a model with an aluminum dust cap. I tried an old JBL 10" with an aluminum dust cap and it was too shrill.

Not to confuse the matter, I have a brand new, never used, 12" SICA NEO that would easily handle your GK amp, that I plan to list for sale when I get around to taking a picture of it. I bought it a few years ago to build a similar unit to what you are proposing and just never got around to it. If your are interested let me know. It is light weight, only about 4 lbs.

One thing about a 2x10" arrangement is I have found them to be a bit beamy when mounted horizontally. They get better dispersion when mounted vertically. There is some good science behind this but I can't explain it. I am sure this true with any speaker size to some degree.

Gary Meixner
Steve Collins

Alaska, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 4:33 pm    

I am looking to build a 210 cab also. I have always enjoyed the quickness and punch 10's can provide, but as mentioned above, I also find them to be quite 'beamy' (directional). An interesting solution here: http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/XFCabs.html
I built Bill's wedgehorn moniter cabs and they are an incredible design. If the XF cab performs as well as the wedgehorns, I think it would be excellent. His speaker recommendations are matched to the cab design, (the mons I built used Eminence delta pros) and are included in the plans.
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 5:02 pm    

I'm actually planning to orient the cab with the two speakers stacked vertically. I really like the look of a tall thin cabinet and am glad this makes sense from a technical standpoint as well.

Steve, those XF cabs seem like they would be pretty killer but I have my heart set on a vertical stack. I have a delta pro 15 in my Gwin tube amp and that sounds awesome, so I'm sure the 10s would work great too.

I like the idea of using 2 different speakers in the cab to get a complex sound...maybe one speaker with a little squawk and the other deep and full-sounding. Any thoughts or experience here? Would this idea work best with a divider between speakers?

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 9:25 pm    

Rick Contino wrote:
Thanks for the tip, Stephen. Those Weber California 10's look tasty. Pardon my ignorance, but besides being the same model how would a pair of speakers be well-matched? If they were not well-matched and not separated would they interfere with each other somehow?

Thanks

Rick

Hey, Rick... I see from your other post that you are considering the dis-similar speaker route. I'd have to say that this kind of thing works better with either open back or separate boxes. Or even one open, one sealed or ported... lots of possibilities, but the one you never see is two different speakers in the same cabinet, sealed. They couple together pretty tightly in a sealed cabinet... and the more different they are from each other, the more they'll end up 'fighting' each other. Not only the sound waves themselves... the impedance peaks/valleys of the coils will be different, so you'll end up with one speaker louder at certain notes... they could get out-of-phase a little, which is not really what you want from your speaker system.

So the best matched speakers are the same model, preferably from the same batch, the same age, and the same wear-and-tear. I've heard of mixing say a Vintage 30 and a Greenback Celestion... at least they're both Celestions! And how do you pick which one to mic up?

New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2014 7:49 am    

Rick,

If you haven't already, check out the recent discussion on speaker porting. There is some very good information on speaker cabinet design, using multiple speakers. Some generous forum members have taken the time to explain the phenomena of comb filtering which effects how the listener experiences monophonic sound from multiple sources. This supports your idea vertical stacked drivers. I have found this arrangement helps produce a more even distribution of the tone spectrum particularly on cramped stages where I can't place my amp in just the right spot for my own listening.

Very best,

Gary
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2014 8:00 am    

Rick,

If you haven't already, check out the recent discussion titled: What is a "Tuned Speaker Cabinet" ?. There is some very good information on speaker cabinet design, using multiple drivers. Some generous forum members have taken the time to explain the phenomena of comb filtering which effects how the listener experiences monophonic sound from multiple sources. This supports your idea of vertical stacked drivers. I have found this arrangement helps produce a more even distribution of the tone spectrum, particularly on cramped stages where I can't place my amp in just the right spot for my own listening.

Very best,

Gary

Edited and reposted