| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal Pot Replacement -Step by Step?
Stan Townsend

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 4:20 pm    

Can someone direct me to a step by step posting (I'm sure there is one already) to replacing the pot and string on a Goodrich vol pedal? I keep seeing reference to an article by Jeff Newman that was on the Carter site but it looks like the Carter site & article went the way of the Carter guitars. Thanks.
Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 6:16 pm    

Stan, here's a link to help you by Greg Cutshaw:
http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Goodrich%20120%20Pot/Goodrich%20120%20Pot.html[url]

Hope this helps...Carl[/url]
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 6:20 pm    

You can do it - It's part of the fun.
On the goodrich, you make the pot all the way on or all the way off. It does not travel the whole distance. Different people do it differently.

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 7:14 pm    

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Goodrich%20120%20Pot/Goodrich%20120%20Pot.html
Stan Townsend

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2014 9:35 am    

Thanks for the advice. I'm surprised that there isn't a good step-by-step guide to doing this. There are a lot of posts giving photos & bits of advice, but not a single comprehensive A to Z guide. This should be included when you buy a new volume pedal pot.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 3:37 am    

In Al Brisco's
<U>Volume Pedal Tutorial DVD</U> there is a 10 minute chapter where he does the procedure.

more info at
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=219652&highlight=vol+volume+pedal
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 5:06 am    

I've seen at least two different mountings for the Goodrich pedals.

Mostly self explanatory if you look at it first and analyze (and notate) how its wired and the pulley connected.
Peter Graham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 9:39 am    

I just bought a Goodrich 120 from Tom Bradshaw, he installs Dunlop Pots in everyone he sells. He sent me an excellent 2 page wiring instruction PDF file. Send him a request. tommybradshaw@gmail.com
Stan Townsend

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 2:33 pm    

OK, I got it in and back together. Here are some tips that I was missing. If I did something wrong please let me know.
This was done with the bottom of the pedal facing up on a workbench or table, looking down into it with the front of the pedal on your left.

Once the new pot is in and secured, place the brass barrel on the pot shaft with the pot shaft turned all the way on (clockwise). Turn the barrel so that the allen screw is in a position that will allow easy turning with the allen wrench. Then tighten the allen screw gently.
Tape the front of the pedal all the way open so it doesn't move. (Maybe the back end should have been taped down? Not sure about that.) Masking tape works. Wind the string from where it secures to the top underside of the pedal as shown in the many available diagrams (all winds are clockwise), and secure firmly, but not excessively tight.
Now you can tighten the allen set screw on the barrel shaft, not too tight as you will need to make adjustments.
Remove the tape and move the pedal to see how it works. Don't replace the bottom cover yet. Plug it into your guitar & amp and see if it cuts off when you have it in the full off (back) position. If not, flip it over and loosen the allen set screw and using a small short flathead screwdriver that will fit into the end of the barrel, turn the pot shaft counterclockwise a bit, then retighten the allen set screw. Try the pedal again and continue to adjust it in this way until you have the volume range you desire. When you get it, tighten up the set screw and replace the cover.
I found that due to the travel of my Goodrich pedal I cannot use the full range of the pot, so I adjusted it so that it just cuts off (silence) in the full back position, and the full-on position still has more headroom if the pedal were able to rotate the pot a bit more, but it doesn't.
I hope this is correct and may help someone.

Last edited by Stan Townsend on 17 Feb 2014 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 4:33 pm    

You did a good job, Stan. Personally, I like to adjust the pot so it goes full on, rather than full off, as you do. That's just personal preference.

Whichever way you go, just make sure that you adjust things so that the pedal's mechanical stop is reached slightly before the pot's end of rotation is reached. The pot will eventually be destroyed if it is what stops the pedals range of motion....whether at the full on, or the full off position.

I hope that made sense.
Stan Townsend

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 7:07 pm    

Mike,
If you adjusted your pedal so that the pot is full open on the forward push, then does it silence when you pull the pedal all the way back? Or is the guitar still audible through the amp a little bit when the pedal is all the way back?
Is it a Goodrich?