| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jr Browns Guit-Steel Day 1
Mike Nihen

Fairfax, VA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 8:38 pm    

we all young once. Heres a pic of Jr just before it all breaks wide open. Thanks to Larry Briggs
Mike Nihen

Fairfax, VA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 8:42 pm    

25 years later
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 9:21 pm    

Awesome pic of Junior. It proves he once was one of us! Laughing

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2014 8:00 am    

definately one of my favorites Smile

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2014 8:36 am    

I happened upon his website a few miles ago, and he and luthier Mike Stevens are now in the business of making & selling guit-steels. Buy one and you'll immediately play just like Junior! Or at least, you durn tootin' ought to, for $14,500 dollars. Whoa!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2014 9:22 am    

wow..yeah i checked it out. $14,500....

and the other problem is you're not junior brown.
he plays with such style and verve that you would just look pretentious playing one.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2014 9:30 am    

Great pictures and threads ! I have seen JR a couple of times at Billy Bobs in Ft Worth...he has it down and never misses a lick on either neck ! Simply amazing...I always wished he would come to a steel show,,,but to my knowledge he hasnt been. The idea of a git-steel is great,,,but 14,500 ??!!! I bet someone could make one with an inexpensive squier tele and some lap steel...wouldnt be a fender tele and steel, but then, as mentioned, no one would be Jr either !!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2014 9:32 am    

chris ivey wrote:
wow..yeah i checked it out. $14,500....

and the other problem is you're not junior brown.
he plays with such style and verve that you would just look pretentious playing one.

+1

I can hear someone in the audience saying "who does that guy think he is? A Junior Brown wannabe?"

Remember Rick Neilsen's 5 neck Hamer guitar? Same thing...

The only way to escape the certain-to-lose comparison to Jr. is to do something totally unlike Jr. ... like play Balkan music, or klezmer, or Indian ragas.

And lay off "Hillbilly Hula Gal." Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2014 9:43 am    

Larry Lenhart wrote:
Great pictures and threads ! I have seen JR a couple of times at Billy Bobs in Ft Worth...he has it down and never misses a lick on either neck ! Simply amazing...I always wished he would come to a steel show,,,but to my knowledge he hasnt been. The idea of a git-steel is great,,,but 14,500 ??!!! I bet someone could make one with an inexpensive squier tele and some lap steel...wouldnt be a fender tele and steel, but then, as mentioned, no one would be Jr either !!

Junior came to the International Steel Guitar Convention last year and played. He had to play a show somewhere else after he played the ISGC. I think it would be great to own and play a guit-steel because the instrument is so cool.

Last edited by Brett Day on 8 Feb 2014 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2014 9:47 am    

Brett Day wrote:

Junior came to the International Steel Guitar Convention last year and played. He had to play a show somewhere else after he played the ISGC.

I know exactly how he felt, Brett! Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Dave Bader

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 12:08 pm    

Brett Day wrote:
Larry Lenhart wrote:

Junior came to the International Steel Guitar Convention last year and played. He had to play a show somewhere else after he played the ISGC. I think it would be great to own and play a guit-steel because the instrument is so cool.

You could always build yourself one. This one didn't cost a quarter of the original and yes it's extremely cool to play.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 1:45 pm    

Hey Chris; I would assume you play a name brand guitar, Emmons, Franklin etc. I think you fall into the same "pretentious" category under the circumstances you list being as you're not Buddy, Paul or Lloyd etc. I read a post recently about another member who was kicked out of his steel guitar club and didn't know why. I wonder if Bob could bestow this honor onto you. Please post your best example you have of your playing so we can all hear what entitles you to be so negative! This site is for steel guitarists to help each other, you're not using it properly. IMHO!!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 1:56 pm    

mike, if you can't see the difference in playing a junior brown thing as opposed to playing the main brand steels that are offered, i suggest you're just trying to be a jerk. there are many clips of my playing on the forum for you to rip to shreds if you like...do a search on 'troll' and 'music to pick apart' and you'll find some threads.
i try to help lots of people on the forum as well as projecting my uncontrollable personality. you must not be paying attention.
Mike Holder

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 2:12 pm    

Thanks for the reply..Good Day Sir.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 2:22 pm    

Mike, I get where you're coming from, and since I gave Chris' post a +1, I'll just say a couple comments IMHO to explain the way I think more clearly, perhaps.

First, we're ALL pretentious to a degree when we get onstage and expect people to pay money to hear us play. I play steel shows and do a fair number of the big ones. So I'm most assuredly pretentious. Every "star" I've ever worked with... well, never mind! Smile So pretentiousness, in and of itself, is rampant all over the music business.

But playing an Emmons steel or a Franklin steel is not inviting a comparison with Buddy or Paul, because there are many 1000's of those instruments out there played by all manner of musicians, including Africans playing Third World music you've never heard of.

But when there's only a few instruments in existence, most played by the man that conceived the thing in the first place, to perform with one onstage can only INVITE comparison with the original artist. That right there is pretty pretentious. And if one trods on the repertoire of the original artist, on his instrument, he better be damn good. Because 99% of the time he will lose in the estimation of the lisening public.

(BTW, it's obvious that Jr.'s mimicking of Ernest Tubb is not pretentious, but actually an homage to ET)

I personally can't see someone as a sideman, playing a guit-steel. It's too outspoken a statement to be ignored.

All that said and done, if a player has something to say and doesn't come across as a JB clone, and has the self-assurance to promote himself and his own music, by all means, go for it!

Smile

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 3:11 pm    

We're inspired by our favorite musicians so we attempt to emulate them. There's many guys out there with a Franklin rig or an Emmons setup, Lil Walter amp etc. The Guitarists playing 335's trying for a Larry Carlton or B.B. King vibe are many. I don't feel that makes them pretentious. Junior, Emmons etc. have found their styles in this same manor but through hard work & practice became themselves by first emulating their inspirations. For me the comment was negative but I should have used more diplomacy in relating my point of view. I hope I'm not developing an uncontrollable personality. Thanks for your P.O.V. Herb, say hi to Redd.
Mike Nihen

Fairfax, VA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 4:56 pm    

We know who Jr is. Sad thing but no one else does. If his last cd sold 25K id be surprised. So call me or anyone else has or wish they had a guit steel anything you want. There are hundreds of Herbs and thousands of Chris's
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 6:16 pm    

Mike Nihen wrote:
There are hundreds of Herbs and thousands of Chris's

You sure got THAT right, Mike. Free opinions are pretty much worth what you paid for them. Embarassed

And bottom line is, I have no bidness telling anyone what or how they "ought" to play. So, rock on.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 6:54 pm    

me too!
i take back everything i ever said.
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 11:35 pm    

WOW! I'm a pretty big Junior fan, but I didn't even recognize him at first without his taco hat. That is one cool picture, as well as the next one showing all the age on the original guit-steel. Cool
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 8:02 am    

Hey fellows let up, I'm sure you heard the old saying that opinons are like ass holes, most everybody has one.

Willie SIMS
Steve Perry

Elizabethtown Ky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 8:49 am    

David Mason wrote:
I happened upon his website a few miles ago, and he and luthier Mike Stevens are now in the business of making & selling guit-steels. Buy one and you'll immediately play just like Junior! Or at least, you durn tootin' ought to, for $14,500 dollars. Whoa!

I always figured that $14,500 was the "Yes, I can make you one, but I'd really rather not. But, if you insist, I'll do it for an out of this world, only a sucker would pay that kind of money" price. Laughing
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 9:23 am    

Quote:
Hey fellows let up, I'm sure you heard the old saying that opinons are like ass holes, most everybody has one.

Willie SIMS

…and they all stink. Laughing Shocked
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 11:39 am    

never had the chance to smell one. Laughing
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 11:51 pm    

Stephen Perry wrote:

I always figured that $14,500 was the "Yes, I can make you one, but I'd really rather not. But, if you insist, I'll do it for an out of this world, only a sucker would pay that kind of money" price. Laughing

He normally gets 7-12K$ for his guitars. He doesn't sell many Guit-Steels, that's true... but he stays busy.