| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Relative height differences
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 5:28 am    

Hi Folks,
Can anyone tell me if there is a height difference in a Sho Bud LDG compared to a Williams .I have heard that the Williams is a tall steel and as such might create a playing "feel" issue after playing a lower instrument.has anyone got both steels to compare.
Regards. Dave
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 6:57 am    

My Williams is the standard height. It is 27 inches from the bottom of the front apron to the floor. Bill Rudolph will make the guitar what ever height you require.
I have also owned a Sho-Bud and find no difference in the height.. hope this helps you.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 8:54 am    

All of the ShoBuds I have played had adjustable legs with at least a couple of inches to play with.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 8:56 am    

Standard height on an Emmons PP is 26" from bottom of endplate to the floor. Likewise with Sho~Bud. At least from the experience I've had with the many guitars I've owned.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Shorty Rogers

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 9:33 am    

If you are ordering a new guitar, just ask to have it made to your desired height. I've done that twice,--2 inches below standard height. On the already built ones, you can always use a tubing cutter and a hack saw to shorten the legs and rods. It is not a big deal to re-thread pedal rods with a tap-and-die set and you just have to drive the leg inserts out using a long wooden dowel after removing the clutch assembly on the adjustable section of the leg. Be sure to protect the threads on the inserts with a block of wood when you pound them back in.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 9:59 am    

Shorty Rogers wrote:
If you are ordering a new guitar, just ask to have it made to your desired height. I've done that twice,--2 inches below standard height. On the already built ones, you can always use a tubing cutter and a hack saw to shorten the legs and rods. It is not a big deal to re-thread pedal rods with a tap-and-die set and you just have to drive the leg inserts out using a long wooden dowel after removing the clutch assembly on the adjustable section of the leg. Be sure to protect the threads on the inserts with a block of wood when you pound them back in.

I agree with Shorty about ordering the guitar to your specific height requirement if purchasing from the builder. And on an existing guitar acquired used, if you're handy with tools shortening the legs is certainly do-able. My guitars are generally 1.5" shorter than standard.

With the pedal rods, however, there can be a complication. Some builders roll the threads on stainless steel rods rather than cut them with a tap-die set. I personally prefer to have the builder make me a set of rods the correct length in that situation. On aluminum pedal rods that were die-cut, no problem in the garage, just use lots of lube on the thread and back out the excess while cutting.

For the last 15 years or so, I've been simply having new legs and rods made for my guitars, and keeping the original legs/rods in reserve. Should I ever want to sell the thing, y'know. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 1:03 pm    

My Williams guitars are just fractionally higher than other "standard" length leg instruments....just a function of the geometry of how it is measured, I guess. It is less than half an inch. I am not a tall guy, and just shortened the rear legs slightly (all legs are adjustable) to tilt it back so that my forearms are still parallel to the top....