| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wailana=Drowsy Waters
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 10:20 pm    

Drowsy Waters

Uploaded on Aug 25, 2011
Paradise Island Trio, With Sam Koki, Steel Guitar, Erwin Yeo, Organ & Russ Magnus, Vibraphone, Recorded 9/10/1937

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiJcwBy7Fhk
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 4:16 am    

October of 1937; it was a different world. Popular music had broader appeal. You didn't have to be a bag of bubbling hormones to find something to identify with. Don'cha just love the awful crackle while the needle is finding the groove? Wailana, the Internet tells us, was sometimes attributed to King Kalakaua. It turns up in the sound track of several movies from the 1930s that usually never credited musicians. This version is pretty nice, and thankfully it is hard to hear the organ. It makes me wonder when the vibraphone was first paired with the Hawaiian guitar.

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 5:23 am    

Warren Slavin wrote on the HSGA forum a few years back:

Quote:
Regarding the Drowsy Waters Medley. I don't know who originally recorded the medley, but I have recordings of Dick McIntire, and Jerry Byrd and perhaps some other steel players, maybe Bernie Ka'ai.

The three waltzes are definetly (1) Wailana (2) Sweet Lei Mamo (3) Aloha No Wau I Ko Maka.

The Dick McIntire's Recording has a 3rd waltz which I think was his improvisation.

I played Drowsy Waters (my version) in 1989 at the "Kamehameha School" when HSGA had a "Centenial Steel Guitar" program -- Jerry Byrd was present when I played and I commented that the song "Drowsy Waters" was the three waltzes mentioned above. I have notation music of each waltz which will confirm the authenticity of the "Song - Drowsy Waters".
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 12:11 pm     Beautiful !!

That was really a beautiful rendition !! I had never heard that song done on the C#min. tuning !! Sam does a great job on that !! I also have that song on a "Varsity" 78 rpm by Lani McIntire, also beautiful sounding and "Kalima Waltz" by Lani on "Varsity" 78 , another real pretty tune !! both probably recorded in the early 40s !! - olde geeze - AKA Eddie "C"