| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bar hand pain
Richard Tague

Cowden, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 4:34 pm    

Being new to learning the psg (about 3 weeks into it), I'm having pains in my bar hand. Specifically, the thumb muscle and the tendon. Is this common? Am I using the "wrong" grip on the bar? Will a different size bar help? Or should I just suck it up and get strong. I understand that I'm using muscles that are not use to being used. But...

I'm currently using an Emmons 7/8" x 3 5/16" bullet shaped bar, that weighs 8.7oz. ((Maybe called a "12 string bar" Question )

Typically, I'll "play" (and being new, I use the term Play very loosely Embarassed) for about 1 to 1 1/2hrs daily, mainly learning grips, easier ways to transition from chords, etc., finishing up running thru a 1/2 dozens classic country tunes.

I've played bass for 30+ years, so Yes, I do have a fair amount of arthritis in my left hand. But, nothing 2 Aleve an hour before showtime won't take care of.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 4:58 pm    

It could be just due to your own physiology and ailments, but I would rather suspect you are gripping the bar too tightly, or pressing it down too hard, or both. The bar hand should be very relaxed, and the bar should only be held tightly enough to make good contact with the strings and to keep from continually dropping it. Wink
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 5:51 pm    

One of the more interesting tidbits on barhand posture I've seen is in the Zane King free lesson(s) video's on youtube....That one got me trying out different bar grips.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 7:56 pm    

I had some discomfort in my bar hand after the first few weeks, too. It will go away when you find the right technique that fits your hand. I studied a lot of players and came away with a pretty decent thing where at least my hand hasn't gotten sore at me since, and I can keep the bar straight to the frets and give a little hula-wiggle now and then.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 8:01 pm    

what donny said!
those are the areas on my hands that act up from time to time also from all the stuff i've done in my life. relax that hand as much as possible.....and as my mom (who haid pretty bad arthritis) said,just keep moving your fingers when you can.
Richard Tague

Cowden, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 8:26 pm    

Thanks, guys.

I did watch one of Zane's video, where he talks about uaing the weight of his arm vs pushing.

Maybe I just need to toughen up. lol

Thanks again,
Rich
Wayne Neal

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2014 10:27 pm    

Annother thing to look at is how you are sitting behind the steel...I find if for some reason I get "twisted" too far one way or the other it causes my wrist to be at an odd angle and my hand starts to hurt.

I had surgery on both wrists last year. (My hands hurt so bad I was dropping picks and could'nt feel strings.) And bar hand pain still happens to me on occasion. Oh Well

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 1:07 am    

You'll have carpal tunnel issues (especially thumb tendons) if your wrist either humps or dips going from arm to hand.
Adjust guitar height so that the transition is straight.
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 11:05 am    

Learned from Alan Akaka (from Jerry Byrd)- the bar should rest on the strings, and the right hand should just position it, not lift it. Pick lightly, and compensate by turning up the volume. There is NO pain in either hand from this technique. As I recall, Jeff Newman told me the same thing, but I didn't listen that well. - Jack
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2014 12:49 pm    

i had the same problem up until a few months ago. there's a lot to think about when starting out, and i think i was just tense.
Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 5:44 am    

don`t worry, that`s normal, i always have it when i didn`t play for a couple of days but it disappears after a while.
Smile
James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 6:54 am    

I feal lane is right as I had problems , but when I adjusted the seat all was much more comfortable and easier on the hand .JAMES TAYLOR
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 12:33 pm    

I'm always wary of repetitive-strain type conditions, and it strikes me that while everything that's been said so far about relaxation and seat height is absolutely true, there's no escaping the fact that to keep the bar straight, the wrist has to pivot in the horizontal plane. There may be one fret somewhere down the nut end where it's straight, otherwise it's going to be bent. I find if I practise for long periods above the 12th fret (which I have to if I'm ever going to be accurate up there) I do feel it a bit. I suspect moderation is the only answer.