| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buying a tone bar...4.5 or 5.5 ounce for lap steel?
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 1:22 pm    

I have a Shubb SP2 tone bar that I have been using thus far, but want to get used to using standard round bar. Dunlop has two, one a 4.5 ounce and the other a 5.5 ounce. Both are 3/4 inch diameter, the heavier being 1/8 inch longer. I have small hands and fingers so I'm thinking about trying the slightly lighter bar. Any comments?? At this point, all my lap steels are 6 string, and I mainly play in C6th. Will there be much difference in tone because of the 1 ounce weight difference?

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 1:39 pm    

i'd get the lighter one, esp for 6 string. I think they still make the "Jerry Byrd model" - i picked up one of those with a lap steel i bought and like it a lot - even over my BJS at 10x the price.

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 1:40 pm    

Heavier bars always seem to give more tone and sustain, but small hands/fingers vs weight doesn't generally translate to being as much of an issue as bar length. A 3" bar became natural feeling for me and my stubby fingers, but for only 6 strings you should be very safe.
L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 8:21 am    

When I went from open G to G13 tuning, I migrated from Stevens bar to SP2, then a 3/4" x 3" bullet and finally to my current 13/16" x 2.75" bullet, from Jim Burden of Bullet Bars. The 2.75" inch length makes reverse slants easier then with 3". And I find the 13/16" diameter (per a Mike Neer recommendation here) a little easier to grip. I had Jim Burden center bore a 5/16 hole in the bar, giving a weight of about 5 oz. I have a Dunlop 919 bar (2.75") like you're considering. It's good place to start.
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 8:45 am    

Best bar you can get! The Jerry Byrd bar. Costly but will last a life time without any scrach!

http://www.bjsbars.com/steel-guitar-bars.php