| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd Pot Pourrie
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 8:13 am    

I don't know this JB recording. Is it any good? What guitar did he use - is this before he acquired his Sho-Bud?

NJ
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 9:17 am    

I have this vinyl, but I have to say it's not one of my favorites. This was recorded in the mid to late 60s. The playing and tone are great, but the arrangements are cheese fests, which are great when I'm in the mood, but mostly I'm not.

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 10:08 am     I can't beleive this post.................

While the questions are obviously legitimate.......
the responses actually shock me.

May your strings become corroded and/or rusty; may your expensive pickups become weak and unpleasant to hear; may your tone and volume controls take on a scratchy inoperable condition, while the tubes in your amp cause excessive FUZZING..........

It's a great album! It's none other than JERRY BYRD.
One doesn't have to wonder who it is that's playing those fabulous musical tones as in some instances with others.

I'll attempt to answer your questions ASAP.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 10:56 am    

I've never heard this album so I can't comment on it. I Have heard most of Jerry's recordings from different periods of his career, and some of them I've listened to hundreds of times over the years. I think we can all agree that his playing was stellar in all phases of his recording career. It's the album Production that varies quite a bit from record to record, and that's where a lot of us differ in our opinions. I get the impression that Jerry didn't have much say over the production, the mixes, the instrumentation, the backing, etc. I'm guessing that the record companies and the producers had a strong hand in that. I like most of his albums, and I have no problem with orchestra backing, like in "Satin Strings of Steel" or the excellent singers (Anita Kerr Singers) on "Hawaiian Beach Party". It took some getting used to at first, but now I can't imagine hearing those songs without the backing! I don't like All of Jerry's recordings though. The production on a few tunes ruins the listening experience for me. I can't remember which ones... because I never listen to them. In short, I think we all agree that Jerry was an awesome player, but some of his albums are not as enjoyable as others due the the production. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Cool
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 11:01 am     I respect your views................

Largely what you say is true...........

There were a series of records made that had a GREEN label and included Texas Playboy Rag, Sugar Blues, Hawaiian Sunset and Wang Wang Blues. They were very 'tinny' or 'thin' sounding like on the early trebly FENDER guitars, but as I recall Jerry told me these were made exclusively for the Juke Box market.

His career was quite diverse but the JB 'factor' rang true in each of them even tho' they might not have been among my preferred choices.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 11:46 am     If my memory is serving me well..................

Jerry once told me that his to-be famous "HAWAIIAN BEACH PARTY".........was held up for more than two years before being released. He found this to be more than frustrating.

That once a song is recorded, the artist has no further say or access to it until it's released.

Back to POTPOURRI:[/u}

China Night, Day Dream and Torn Sarong were recorded in August, 1959.

In January, 1960, Indian Love Call was recorded.

On May 17th, 1960, Dancing Under the Stars....along with Invitation to Love were recorded.

During June, 1961, Valley of Roses was laid down.

During July, 1962, he recorded Riding High, Sleepless Nights, Coconut Grove, Good-bye Kisses.

You can see how these were gathered together and released at a different time. These sessions were recorded at different studios also; RCA-Nashville and Bradley's facility.

I'm just thrilled that we got to hear as many as we did. I know for sure that Jerry's "At Sundown" with the Harmonicats was re-recorded after Jerry's original recording on Mercury.

For more more details on recording dates/locations, you might choose to visit the jerrybyrd-fanclub.com site.[/u]

Last edited by Ray Montee on 2 Feb 2014 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 11:47 am    

ray..that's interesting. it's nice to know that even 'the greatest' wasn't against 'selling his soul' for a few bucks. ha ha (juke box music sell out!)
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 12:19 pm     Re: If my memory is serving me well..................

Ray Montee wrote:
Jerry once told me that his to-be famous "HAWAIIAN BEACH PARTY".........was held up for more than two years before being released. He found this to be more than frustrating.

That once a song is recorded, the artist has no further say or access to it until it's released.

Back to POTPOURRI:[/u}

China Night, Day Dream and Torn Sarong were recorded in August, 1959.

In January, 1960, Indian Love Call was recorded.

On May 17th, 1960, Dancing Under the Stars....along with Invitation to Love were recorded.

During June, 1961, Valley of Roses was laid down.

During July, 1962, he recorded Riding High, Sleepless Nights, Coconut Grove, Good-bye Kisses.

You can see how these were gathered together and released at a different time. These sessions were recorded at different studios also; RCA-Nashville and Bradley's facility.

I'm just thrilled that we got to hear as many as we did. I know for sure that Jerry's "At Sundown" with the Harmonicats was re-recorded after Jerry's original recording on Mercury.

For more more details on recording dates/locations, you might choose to visit the jerrybyrd-fanclub.com site.[/u]

Ray, it's pretty obvious the tracks were from all different sessions. For instance, Indian Love Call is a small group with a reverb-drenched JB and a guitar dry and in your face. Some of the other tracks get the full 101 Strings-style treatment, where others are kind of Persuasive Percussion-type.

All in all, it's pretty easy to see why it was called Potpourri. It's all pretty miscellaneous in nature, with masterful playing by JB being the only thing in common.

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 1:14 pm    

one thing to remember is that (from my reading as much about Jerry as possible) his goal was to expand the steel outside the established boundaries - what it could do - and this is the possible cheese factor - remember, this was the late 50's - lawrence welk type orchestration and thats what people liked.

true about the artists lack of production input - there was even an organ put on some of Bill Monroe's bluegrass sessions from the 50's cause the labels thought it would help them crossover...good lord what were they thinking...seems organ was a popular seller then (i remember my grandma playing pop pieces on the organ as a kid)

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 1:28 pm     REMEMER..............Owne Bradley and HIS organ?

Owen Bradley did some really nice work with Red Foley on several of his Decca Records during the early 1950's.

Billy Robinson, steel guitarist at that time, should be able to ad quite a bit of detail for that era.
Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 2:41 pm    

Whoa! I'm with you, Ray.
Picky, Picky, Picky.
Could all these naysayers have done better?
I don't think so and I don't even know who they are.
Wally Shocked Very Happy
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 4:25 pm    

I'm simpatico with Doug. Can't comment on this one but the aesthetic quality of Byrd's recordings varies from record to record as well as he played. When you're a freelancer you take the gigs and do your best. JB at HIS best is almost inhumanly good. That didn't stop him from putting out lesser material when producers lacked his taste.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 4:29 pm    

Jerome, I agree with you about instrumental pop music back in the late 50s and early 60s. There were a lot of mushy hits by orchestras like Percy Faith, The Ray Conniff Singers, Lawrence Welk, etc. That probably had some effect on record production in Nashville and elsewhere... background singers, strings, overblown arrangements, trying to crossover to sell more records. Fortunately, Jerry Byrd's playing cuts through. It's hard to cover up talent like that!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 5:27 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Jerome, I agree with you about instrumental pop music back in the late 50s and early 60s. There were a lot of mushy hits by orchestras like Percy Faith, The Ray Conniff Singers, Lawrence Welk, etc. That probably had some effect on record production in Nashville and elsewhere... background singers, strings, overblown arrangements, trying to crossover to sell more records. Fortunately, Jerry Byrd's playing cuts through. It's hard to cover up talent like that!

The flipside, Doug, is that not even JB could salvage dismal arrangements. Entirely my opinion, of course, if Wally will allow me to have one. Laughing

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 5:54 pm    

There's some truth in that. I try to listen to what Jerry is doing, even on some of the hokey arrangements, but sometimes it's hard to do. I like most of his recordings, but there are a couple that are hard to take, like Polynesian Suite, and some of the later recordings where he's playing two parts, I believe. I never liked the sound of two steels together (in harmony). I think JBs best period was 1950s through the early 60s. Just my opinion.
Jerome Hawkes

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 6:40 pm    

can you image how expensive it was for the labels to do these big arrangements during that time! Byrd said most of his records sold well but never broke even.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 7:03 pm    

Quote:
Byrd said most of his records sold well but never broke even.

Whoa! Whoa! Never broke even?! That's surprising.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 7:32 pm     Shortly prior to his death.................

Jerry told me that he was just now starting to receive the royalties from some of his earliest recordings.

This on top of being short changed for years on his bandleader fees was quite discouraging to the man.
Jerome Hawkes

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 4:02 am    

Doug, I had actually read that on Ray's Fan site:
fron Jerry Byrd Fan Club.com
The record companies, back then, paid for the actual recording sessions, plus the writers and publishers fees. These costs were deducted from the royalties from actual record sales.
Jerry laughingly admitted that he is just now realizing profits from some of his recorded material that has taken years to pay-out the over-head. He ads that he never had the good fortune of being "a million seller" but is happy that his records continue to sell, all over the world, year after year.

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 11:06 am    

That looks like a great album.Dont have it but Ive heard a couple of the songs on it
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 11:15 am    

Quote:
Whoa! Never broke even?! That's surprising

Sadly, as Mozart, Edgar Allen Poe, Jerry Byrd and so many others have experienced talent doesn't ensure financial success.

NJ
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 11:23 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
Quote:
Whoa! Never broke even?! That's surprising

Sadly, as Mozart, Edgar Allen Poe, Jerry Byrd and so many others have experienced talent doesn't ensure financial success.

Jerry achieved so much more than that, though. He is an icon. And he was able to live out his final years in paradise with people who loved him.

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 12:09 pm    

And leave a legacy that resonates in his students and the people they have taught not to forget the many people who have used his instruction books and arrangements.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 5:51 pm    

About a dozen years ago I bought a box lot of old steel guitar catalogs, books, magazines, etc. In the lot there was a handwritten letter from JB, written in the 1990s to someone I never heard of. In the letter Jerry was blasting the person for selling copies of his instructional material! He basically said... people have informed me that you are copying and selling my courses. This is my 'bread and butter' now that I am retired from playing actively... etc. It was pretty amazing to read, and a little sad to read.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 6:07 pm     Got a question for you..............

Since the letter from JB that you mentioned is not a personal letter between you and JB......

might you be willing to share it with the JBFC?

I'm familiar with the topic you related to as I was one of several that reported this impropriety to Jerry.

I could give you credit for the sharing............