| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons student model advice.
Ryan Hacker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 1:52 pm    

Hey first time posting!
I have an opportunity to purchase a student model Emmons pedal steel that has 3 pedals and one knee lever with a case for 1000.
I can also get some extras like a packaseat, a volume pedal, a bj bar some cables and a pick for an extra 450.
Is this a good deal?
Thanks for the help.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 5:16 pm    

I'm no expert on Emmons, but as to the prices, my opinion is that the guitar is a bit high unless it's in mint condition. The student Emmons, GS-10, is a great little guitar, IF it's set up correctly (and most aren't) but you'll soon want to add at least 3 more knee levers, and that could easily cost you another $600 to $700 putting the investment pretty high for that guitar.

And the other stuff is definitely high for used items...even if they are in great shape. At $1450 total I think you could do better if you are not in a hurry to buy.

If you can talk the seller down to more like $700 or so for the guitar, I'd say go for it. And for the rest of it, I'd need to know exactly what the items were to give you a reasonable price range
Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 6:07 pm    

I think Mike is right on. Watch the forum there are some good deals on here.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 1:21 am    

Yep, what Mike said.
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 4:55 am    

Too many $$$ for that guitar.
Try Al Brisco at Steel Guitar Canada, or Clint at Musical String and Things in Chatham.
Clint had some nice used steels last time I was there. Emmons, Fender, MSA.
Where are you located?...Jerry
Ryan Hacker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 12:16 pm    

Hey!
Thanks for the help.

I managed to talk down the price a bit and this is the response I got.

$1250

gets you the guitar/case/picks/pack a seat/volume pedal/ bjs bar/tool for tuning/spare strings

ill keep the george L cables as they are very very expensive

you can buy regular guitar and we have a deal

I'm in Toronto Ontario.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 3:54 pm    

Well, the seller did come down $200. However, in my opinion, that's still a bit high. Again, just my opinion.

An important question is what condition is the Emmons in? I've seen some very nice ones and, then again, some real bad ones that were all messed up and altered in not a good way.

Color is a factor, although certainly much less so. Most were rosewood mica but there were some made in black, white and other colors, too.
Ryan Hacker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 6:34 pm    

Here she is,
Looks mint.

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 6:58 pm     This is

Also on ebay....
Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 8:12 pm    

Ryan, contact Bobby Bowman(forum member). He had an Emmons student model that he was wanting to sell and I think he is one of the best to deal with. Bobby restored my old MSA to better than new. Great guy to deal with.

My mistake, I see that he has already sold it.
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 5:26 am    

I think the price is still too high. It's a $700 guitar...Jerry
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 10:01 am    

I would look at the package deal if you're the end user. The Steeler's Choice seat is worth $150 or more if in reasonable condition. Emmons volume pedal would be 75 to 100 bucks, the BJS bar prob'ly $40 used.

So you're looking at 250 to 300 worth of extras, which puts the guitar at around 950 to 1000 bucks, which IMHO is approaching the "high end of reasonable" for an end-user.

As to the value of the guitar, I disagree with the previous poster. A first-generation Maverick is a $700 guitar, an Emmons Student Model is a far better instrument. The changer and undercarriage are identical to a professional PP, so upgrading this model with knee levers is totally feasible and realistic. And this model has a reputation of being among the BEST sounding Emmons PPs. As a professional player, I would definitely consider a guitar like this as one to take on fly dates out of town.

As was mentioned previously, you would probably want at least two and maybe three knee levers for the upgrade, which could be another 400 to 600 bucks +/-, depending on parts and who does the installation, however.

So, it's not the Deal of the Century, maybe overpriced by a hundred bucks or so, but it will get you playing. Have someone experienced with Emmons guitars to check it out for you, of course, before purchasing.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Last edited by Herb Steiner on 2 Feb 2014 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 10:04 am    

I like the 8 string Emmons student model better, but that's just me. Winking

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 10:12 am    

I worked some numbers yesterday and came up with a conclusion very similar to Herb's.
I think it is important to note that if this is your first steel and you are a beginner, there is the potential for this guitar to need adjustment work. Unfortunately, this work on a p/p (IMO) could be a daunting task for a beginner that could result in an unplayable guitar (after you tried to work on it) until you got it worked on by an expert.
As other people have said on the subject, it is not rocket surgery but it does demand an understanding of some mechanical steel guitar fundamentals.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 10:18 am    

Adding three more knee levers is gonna be expensive. And you will want to do that if you plan to keep the guitar. The GS-10 is an awesome sounding instrument. Even the models like this one with the bowling ball finish sound really great. The only item among the extras I would truly recommend is the Emmons volume pedal in the photo. If you're talking Canadian dollars, your $1250.00 package equates to about $809.43 in good old American Yankee dollars. If the instrument is truly in mint condition, I would jump on that deal in a New York minute, Ryan!
Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 10:56 am    

Jack: Where do you get your exchange rate information?

Mike
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 11:05 am    

Agreed. I found a .9:1 ratio, putting 1200 at 1080. At which point it becomes a good deal, but not a screaming deal.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 11:14 am    

The eBay auction is talking US dollars, unfortunately for Ryan. Still, what was previously said still holds...

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 11:34 am    

yeah..yer x-change rate is all whacky-doodle.

i'd say $1000 or less for the whole shebang.

you can always fall back on the new era of econo/beginner/pro/lite flight guitars for a big twice -what -they're -worth pro price.

save $1400 up and have your choice of good used pro model carters, fessendens, bmi's, msa's, dekley, etc.
Frank Montmarquet

The North Coast, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 5:52 pm    

I bought one just like that, but different color for $400. Craigs list in Rochester NY. I thought it was a good deal, to get something and see if I liked it. After about 3 months I decided I needed an up grade, adding levers seemed too expensive. So I got a used U12. You will want something more, so don't pay too much for a 3X1.

That guitar, like mine, does not have a raised neck. So the pickup is is not as tall as a standard Emmons pickup. That means less turns,less wire, lower resistance, I like the tone.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 8:31 am    

Michael Hummel wrote:
Jack: Where do you get your exchange rate information?

Mike

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/daily-converter/

Info came from the above site. Obviously I did something wrong when I originally punched in the numbers. I apologize to everyone.

Sorry, Ryan to furnish bad information. For around $800.00 it seemed like a good deal. For $1100.00, not quite.
Ryan Hacker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 11:56 am    

You guys have been really helpful!
Im not really looking to walk away scamming anyone and I'm willing to have the seller walk away with some profit. I just want a fair deal.

Seems like a mixed consensus.

I got him down to 1200 so I think I might just for it.
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 5:24 pm     Dude

For 1200 you can get a sweet pro guitar with 3 and at least three....
Ryan Hacker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 8:51 pm    

Show me the wayyy
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 9:05 pm    

I'm probably going to make several contradictory statements here, but, I think you can do better. The sound of an Emmons is well documented here, so, I can't refute that, but, it is a student steel with one knee lever. If you're accomplished and learn quickly, you'll see that 3 more knee levers will add immensely and you're probably going to want to add them shortly thereafter at a considerable cost. Most up to date instruction courses cater to 3+4 , commonly using the Buddy Emmons copedant, but, different variations will work and do. There are some manufacturers making student steels with 3+4, that are reliable, mostly problem free and easy to play and adjust. The prices are comparable for new and cheaper for good used ones
Having said all that, there's a lot of music to be played on a 3+1, there's no denying that. I started on an old ShoBud Maverick with 3+1, but , I soon realized that I wanted more. It was my preference to do. I'm not knocking this steel in general. I just think it's dated and lacking of modern changes commonly taught and heard in today steel genre.