| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Genz Benz Amp
David Rogerson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2014 4:30 pm    

Has anyone tried a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 for pedal steel? These are primarily designed for bass & incorporate a 12ax7 pre-amp. They compact & very light & seem to be an ideal answer to the weight problem that a lot of us are facing. I'd be interested to hear if they are suitable sound & tonewise for steel e.g. how do they stack up for tone compared to a Peavey .
Matt Pynn

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 8:50 pm    

I heard someone using one of these on steel recently and thought it sounded great!
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 6:14 am    

I've been thinking about getting a shuttle 3.0; I think the shuttle 6.0 is something like 600 watts, I don't have a speaker cabinet that can handle that! Way too much firepower, but the 3.0 is discontinued... I've also heard good things about it for steel, probably very similar to the GK MB200, with a few useful extra features like the effects loops.
rodger_mcbride

Minnesota
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 6:34 am     Fender closed down Genz Benz

FYI, Fender owns Genz Benz and recently killed it late last year. There might be some stock buried with dealers somewhere, but it's only the used market where you will find them. They don't last long in the marketplace, the word is out among the jazz guys. They are great for steel, very warm and clean, tiny and light, and powerful! Different tones are easily shaped by pedals and they usually have a whole bunch of DI options and an effect loop. I frequently use mine as just a class D power amp patching into the return of the effects loop with tube preamp. Best of both worlds.

rodger
Richard Tague

Cowden, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 7:47 am    

You can still find a lot of new stuff out there, you need to look at bass places...like The Perfect Bass, The Bass Place, etc.
My bass rig's primary amp is a ShuttleMax 12.0. 6 years and nearly 500 shows, I've never had so much as a hiccup out of it(knock on wood). They nice thing about the 6.0 and up series is there are 2 separate class D amps. It's kind of deceiving the way the advertise their power rating. Like my 12.0 is "rated" at 1200w output. Really, it is 2x 600w. They are not bridgeable, so if you plug in 2 cabs, you really still have only 600w...just times 2. I just use one cab and try to switch which side I use every gig (although, I do forget which I used last gig a lot). IF one was to go south during a show, I have a built in backup.
Also, the Max series has 2 channels...one FET and one tube pre. Nice for different tones from the same guitar or, like I use mine, for 2 different basses with different pups (J/P and HumB/J pups).

Here's mine: