| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fox 5F8B Power tube replacement
Bill Findlay

Baytown, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 1:17 pm    

I need to replace the power tubes in my fox amp.
I will replace with four matched tubes but I know they will need to be rebiased. I have the equipment to rebias them but I have never did it . Does anyone have a step by step method to accomplish this .
If so could you sent me a private message with a procedure.

Thanks in advance.
Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 1:20 pm    

if its possible to get the exact same tubes with the same plate current (or within 1-5mA) you can swap them with no bias adjustment.

I recall Ken using JJ tubes, which come in matched quads. On the boxes, you'll see a marking called IP or PC. Match that number and you're done

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 1:47 pm    

Here's one way:

Measure the bias current of what you have now... plug in the new set and set the bias current the same.

Here's another way:
Use one of those inexpensive laser-pointer IR thermometers ($30 at Harbor Freight) to measure the temperature of your final tubes' plates... bias the new set to the same dissipation temperature.

The IR thermometer is a great tool for all kinds of things... you can check if one tube's getting hotter, etc... I was able to trace a failing capacitor with it! It did help that the paper label on the capacitor was turning brown...

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 6:51 am    

You can re-order those JJ tubes from Antique Electronics. Yours are rated 15/2.5. I kept records on all the power tube ratings in the amps I sold. Hope that helps.

Ken
Bill Findlay

Baytown, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 10:34 am    

Thanks everyone for the information.
Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 4:23 pm    

"Measure the bias current of what you have now... plug in the new set and set the bias current the same."

That might work if the tubes you are replacing were brand new. As they wear current draw changes. With old tubes I often find a pair with one tube hot or cold when compared on the bias meter. Rarely are they nearly equal as when installed as a matched pair of quad. I think temps are even more of a crap shoot.

Ken's numbers are the best way with out measuring plate voltage and doing the math or consulting an online bias calculator as on Weber's site IMO.