| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  where to put reverb pedal
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 5:56 am    

Where do you put your reverb pedal when you've got a choice? Effects loop, or before amp input? And why?

I've read somewhere that reverb should be the last thing in the chain. Just wondering how big a deal it is if an amp does not have an effects loop?
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 6:56 am    

It'll work either way, but I think it sounds cleaner if
hooked to the FX send and return if you have them.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 7:20 am    

I dislike the extra spaghetti. After the volume pedal, before the amp.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 8:21 am    

The thing is... if you put it in line after other effects they can boost the input and increase the reverb effect.
If you put it in line after a fuzz box that boosted the signal you can end up with a ton of reverb when you step on the fuzz.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 10:01 am    

I run all effects before the volume pedal, that way they see the full signal you gave it while striking the strings.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 12:42 pm    

Reverb is a time-based effect,so it should go in the F/X loop if there is one.If there isn't,my time-based effects go before gain-based effects and the VP is last in the chain.YMMV but that works for me.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2014 12:03 pm    

If you use the effects before your volume pedal, you can cut off their "tails" with your carving knife(volume pedal). I almost never use any effects beyond my Twin's reverb though. Infrequently, the Echoplex I got from Don Dixon.
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 1:07 am    

So I tried putting my Zoom MS100 in front of the VP. It's great for the overdrive stuff, but the reverb seems to vary too much. I didn't like it much. And putting the Zoom after the VP makes the reverb and delay work well, but then I don't like the way the overdrive works. I guess the idea of one multi-effects pedal just isn't going to work for me. Great in theory, but I need a way to insert the VP into the middle of the effects chain. Back to a regular pedal board, I guess. sniff. : c)

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 2:44 am    

I like the reverb last plugged along the chain into the front of the amp, even if there is an effects loop. The effect pedal itself is not noisy and I don't use a ton of it, and if I were to use the effects loop that would just mean one more little cord.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 10:19 am    

John now we get down to volume pedal technique. IF you turn the VP off most to the time I might agree with you, but IF you do not the tails can be heard always.

For me if you hear tails in the live setting you might be using too much verb. Just me.

Larry Behm

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 12:07 pm    

Yeah, Larry,
I do turn the VP off all the way. But since I use the reverb in my Twin, you hear the tails anyway.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 6:59 am    

On my LTD 400 I set the pedal right on top, and use a six-inch cable to plug it straight into the input jack. 9V adaptor & amp both plug into the same switched power strip. Works for me.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 10:58 am    

Larry Behm wrote:
I run all effects before the volume pedal, that way they see the full signal you gave it while striking the strings.

Larry Behm

as do I. In the normal sequence of things, TIME , being reverb and delay, is last in the effects chain.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 2:24 pm    

I strongly disagree with putting reverb before a volume pedal. The changes to the signal level with the constant volume pedal fluctuations create a very un-natural and seasick-inducing artificiality to the natural decay of the reverb. Reverb should be left to decay naturally, volume pedal should always go before reverb.

B
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 2:34 pm    

John Billings wrote:
If you use the effects before your volume pedal, you can cut off their "tails" with your carving knife(volume pedal). I almost never use any effects beyond my Twin's reverb though. Infrequently, the Echoplex I got from Don Dixon.

And it's not really just about cutting off the tails, it's taking a natural decay and then fluctuating it. Reverb, in nature, would never do this.

I've tried a reverb before the volume pedal on pedal steel it's just terribly nauseating and the brain just can't make sense out of the reverb decay. Reverb's purpose is to simulate an acoustical environment so the sound describes a "space" in which it's happening. Any pumping or ducking of that natural environment is VERY un-natural sounding.

Just as pedal steel played dry into a room, a church, an auditorium would have the volume pedal naturally before the real reverb, it seems only logical and sonically pleasing to do the same when we emulate a space with an effect device.

B
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 3:04 pm    

I agree with Brad, reverb sounds natural the last in line. Even in my Roland GP-100 where you can choose where the reverb is I leave it last in the chain.
Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 8:44 pm    

I prefer reverb at the end of my signal chain. However, a pedal designed for an instrument level signal can be overdriven by a line level effects loop, so I would put the reverb between the volume pedal and the amp. If I have a line level reverb, it goes after the EQ.

In recording, I don't run reverb in the amp, but rather outboard, to avoid speaker coloration of the reverb.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 9:19 pm    

Jonathan Cullifer wrote:
I prefer reverb at the end of my signal chain. However, a pedal designed for an instrument level signal can be overdriven by a line level effects loop, so I would put the reverb between the volume pedal and the amp. If I have a line level reverb, it goes after the EQ.

In recording, I don't run reverb in the amp, but rather outboard, to avoid speaker coloration of the reverb.

Perfectly stated - all points!!!

B
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 7:31 am    

If you cut the volume pedal the reverb still "goes away" so what is the magic of "tails" if you can not hear anything.

This is why my pedal is always on. If you use effects like compression and need it first in the chain, then you would need another effects unit after the pedal just to hear the "tails" that you just cut off when cutting back on the pedal.

This discussion has gone on since the beginning of time, always 2 polarized sides. Bottom line, if you like your doctor you can k... sorry that was another thread. As long as we all get a chance to keep playing and playing around, chasing after it is the part of the fun.

Larry Behm

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 2:33 pm     Re: where to put reverb pedal

Tommy Boswell wrote:
Where do you put your reverb pedal when you've got a choice?

On the lid of the sidekick of my seat, so I can set it for ballad v. uptempo numbers. (And after the VP).
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 2:34 pm     Re: where to put reverb pedal

Tommy Boswell wrote:
Where do you put your reverb pedal when you've got a choice?

On the lid of the sidekick of my seat, so I can set it for ballad v. uptempo numbers. (And after the VP).
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 8:27 am    

Larry Behm wrote:
If you cut the volume pedal the reverb still "goes away" so what is the magic of "tails" if you can not hear anything.

This is why my pedal is always on. If you use effects like compression and need it first in the chain, then you would need another effects unit after the pedal just to hear the "tails" that you just cut off when cutting back on the pedal.

This discussion has gone on since the beginning of time, always 2 polarized sides. Bottom line, if you like your doctor you can k... sorry that was another thread. As long as we all get a chance to keep playing and playing around, chasing after it is the part of the fun.

Larry Behm

I am probably misunderstanding what you are saying about the volume pedal cutting off tails, Larry.
In my experience, If your reverb is after the volume pedal, you can punch a chord and shut off your volume pedal (or mute the strings), and it does not cut off the tails.
That expansive ambience of reverb-ee Lush-ness sounds great to my ear!

I have used some multi-effects units over the years that have a feature that allows you to run a volume pedal somewhere in the chain of effects, so you can run some effects before the volume pedal (Overdrive, Octave-divider, Envelope-filter, Comperssion, etc...), and some effects after the volume pedal( Input-sensitive-Distortion, Delay, Reverb, etc...).
Does your new Zoom pedal have this feature? There should be a TRS-jack on that unit so you can run an outboard effect like a volume pedal somewhere in the effect chain.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 29 Jan 2014 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 9:20 am    

Pete, I don't think the Zoom Multistomp 50 or 100 can do this. Unfortunately.

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 12:55 pm    

Running into front of amp (I don't use the effects loop for simplicity), always used reverb last in line into the amp...until recently.

Haven't had an amp with tremolo in decades, so I picked up a pedal a while back. Automatically put it before the reverb. But after reading on the interwebs, I learned putting it after the reverb it better mimics how the old amps worked. Makes for a more dramatic effect, too. YMMV
John Kalament

South Carolina
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 6:31 pm    

I just purchased a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay and I'm a little confused on how to run my cables from the Amp to the Delay Pedal then to the Volume pedal then to the Guitar. There are three Jacks , Input, Direct out, and Output I don't just want to start running cables where they don't belong.
A little diagram would be a great help.
Thanks Guy's !
John