| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fun with effects ! (and a few questions)
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 3:23 pm    

I recently acquired some effects pedals that I have been using with pedal steel. They are not for all the time use, but I am having fun with them for my new country and rock band. I got an old mxr envelope filter on ebay (1970's model), a new mxr phase 90 74 reissue, and a keeley 2 knob compressor. so far I have been running them in this order.
steel guitar --> sarno freeloader --> earth drive distortion --> keeley compressor--> mxr envelope --> phaser --> hilton pedal --> delay (i have the el capstan but also sometimes use an old Boss DM-3) --> fender twin.
I don't use the phaser and envelope filter at the same time.
Here are my thoughts:
a little distorted phase goes a long way for a cool sounding effect on modern rock tunes. the phaser is set minimally but it really adds a lot of depth to the distorted sound.
I am on the fence about the envelope filter. I have been using it to try to get a wah sound. I play in a band that covers Brad Paisley's Kentucky Jelly and I am trying to get the wah sound that is used in guitar solo at the end of the tune (before the fiddle solo). I can get pretty close with the mxr filter, maybe I am just not that great at using it, but its fun to mess around with.
I generally do not like to use compression. I feel that it can become a bit of a crutch, but it really adds to the sustain and phased distortion effect that I have been messing with. I had to adjust the input level inside of the pedal though because my signal was causing the pedal to distort. Has anyone else had this issue ? I like the 2 knob version of the compressor but it's not too late to return it and get the 4 knob if that works better for pedal steel.
Overall I am having a blast with these pedals, but I can see how this can easily become another obsession and distraction from working on technique. still, its cool and fun and the guys in my band seem to really dig some of the sounds I am getting on the pedal steel. I know Buddy used some effect, and Sneaky Pete, both who I admire tons…

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 3:51 pm    

I do not use compression on steel but with the Tele I like the barber tone press with the 2 channel blend function same as a Sparkle drive.
I can get the compression effect with out changing my sound or crank it up for full squashed compression.
Joshua Gibson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 10:07 pm    

Buddy used just a hint of Compression...and if it's good enough for the Big E...it's good enough for Me Very Happy!!, I mostly just use reverb, Delay, Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ and a little Fuzz once in a blue moon, I do have one question if You don't mind My asking Karen...Why are You running Your delay behind Your VP?, just curious.
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 6:49 am    

I believe the envelope filter works the best as near to the guitar pickup as possible. Mine's a newer model BOSS AW-3 from 2009.

Russ Pahl used his MXR unit with The Sky Blue Water Boys as far back as the late 70's with great results. He attached it to directly to the output jack of his basketweave 'mica Emmons with one of these:

Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 8:15 am    

I would agree with Jack. Though I haven't played with the MXR ,many of the envelope filters respond to playing dynamics. If it is after the compressor in the chain,it would negate this effect. I would try the envelope filter right after the Free Loader Karen. Winking

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 8:26 am    

i will try that tonight. makes sense !

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 9:06 am    

Jack,
I can't find these jacks at Swtchcraft any longer. Do you have a link as to where to purcase?

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 10:05 am    

Joshua Gibson wrote:
Karen...Why are You running Your delay behind Your VP?, just curious.

I Hadnt really thought about it, it was recommended to me to run delay and reverb last so the delay goes after the vol pedal. reverb is in my amp.

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 10:29 am    

Gary Reed wrote:
Jack,
I can't find these jacks at Swtchcraft any longer. Do you have a link as to where to purcase?

Amazon.com has them.
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Technology-GPP-296-4-Inch-Coupler/dp/B000068O3P

// Anders

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 12:21 pm    

I also used an MXR envelope filter (and compressor - for effect, not sustain or any other reason). I used one of those adapters pictured above and plugged it straight into my guitar. I unplugged them on songs I wasn't using them onto get them out of the signal path.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
David Yannuzzi

Pomona , New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 3:48 pm    

the Keeley compressor is a great compressor . I have tried others and they are tone sucking and squash the sound to much . I remember reading an Endorsement from steel player Gary Morse

I also had to adjust the internal input level because with my pedal steel it would distort .

I have to the 2 knob version and wish i had got the 4 knob .

I like a bit of compression when recording sometimes or on ballads .

I think i end up using it less when i am playing thru a tube amp and more with solid state
Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 6:51 pm    

I just got a switcher from Loopmaster that allows me to switch the pedals I'm not using out of the signal path. I love this thing, but yes, playing around with the effects takes time away from working on technique.
http://www.loop-master.com/choose-your-function-true-bypass-looper-p-249.html

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 12:11 am    

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
Joshua Gibson wrote:
Karen...Why are You running Your delay behind Your VP?, just curious.

I Hadnt really thought about it, it was recommended to me to run delay and reverb last so the delay goes after the vol pedal. reverb is in my amp.

I see. Yes as a rule of thumb the best placement of the delay and reverb is at the end of the FX chain...I run multi FX as a rule and bypass the amps reverb so consequently My Telonics VP ends up at the end of My chain.
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 6:40 am    

I always run Reverb and/or Delay pedals after the volume pedal (I typically use a Boss RV3).
They sound better that way.
You don't want the full strength signal of your Steel hitting those effects.
You want your personal Volume pedal inflections to be captured by the effect and reproduced in the background.
Its a matter of personalizing your sound.
I also run just enough amp reverb to allow the amp to breath (not completely dry/off, knob around 8-9 o'clock) if I turn the RV3 off for a song that has a dead-stop at the end or somewhere where you don't want the trailing notes.

I also have an MXR Envelope Filter from the 70's, and I like Richards idea about plugging it in right at the Steels output-jack for just one song or as needed. I have a few of those double-ended 1/4" jacks, and will try that next time I fire up my rig.
Yes the Envelope Filters need to have the full signal strength of the steel hitting them... run them before the V-ped.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 9:13 am    

What Brad and Pete said... Cool