| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The worst day of my life...
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 2:55 am    

On Jan 7th my Mom passed away. She had a 5 bypass surgery about a year ago. Since then she had a few minor strokes. She was 85 so we didn't do an autopsy, but I'm guessing between the veins used for the bypass and some small clots she'd been having of late, it finally did her in. For those of you that might have met her I've included the eulogy below.

I miss you and love you dearly, Mom! May you forever rest in peace...

Minnie Ann Renn, age 85, of Brainerd, MN, passed away Tuesday Jan 7, 2014, at 4:50 pm.

Minnie is survived by two sons, Ernie (Tracey) Renn of Brainerd and Wayne Renn of Brainerd, one brother, Kenny (Maxine) Petersen of Nisswa. One grandson Steve Renn of Alexandria and two granddaughters Lyla (Brandon) Martin and Julia Renn of Brainerd, twelve Nieces and Nephews, many great nieces and nephews, and one great-grand-daughter on the way.

She was preceded in death by her husband Harland W. Renn, father and mother, Dan and Minnie Petersen, two infants, George Petersen, and John Petersen; and three sisters, Alice Paetzel, Gladys Petersen, and Lyla Petersen.

Minnie Ann was a Brainerd area Musician, known for singing, yodeling, and playing the accordion or electric bass. She played at many area night clubs, dances, and nursing homes in her many years of performing. She started publicly playing music at 3 years old with her Dad and sisters, playing at school PTA meetings. As an adult, Minnie and her two sisters Lyla and Gladys formed “The Petersen Sisters” in the late 1940’s and played many area barn dances, weddings, and night clubs. At that time Minnie worked at Akre's Quality Bakery in Brainerd. After marrying Harland Renn in 1956, the two of them started a country music trio with Harland’s brother, Clyde Renn that they called “The North Stars”, long before the sports team.

After the loss of Clyde to a car crash, Minnie and Harland played at Dale Ryan’s Town Tavern for 11 years as the house band. They called themselves “The Renn’s +1” with Gilbert Pence playing the bass guitar. For the last two years of that gig, they added their oldest son Ernie, 12, who played lead guitar. Minnie went on to play the bass guitar every week-end with local band, “Sonny and the Royals”, for 15 more years. Following that, she played with numerous area bands at night clubs and senior centers well into her 80’s.

After retirement Minnie was involved with yearly reunions with her Class of 1946, and a member of the Eagles Club. She also traveled with her son’s band “The Wayne Renn Band” playing fairs and shows all over Minnesota and North Dakota for a few years. She was always famous around the Brainerd area, for her family of musicians. She also performed on many of the Shotgun Red shows and even performed at the Minnesota State Fair.

Minnie didn’t have an easy life. When her two boys were little, her husband hurt his back and she was the only provider for her family of four for many years. She worked at Rexall, Elvig’s and Nystrom Drug stores in downtown Brainerd over the years. She worked hard and came home tired, yet, she still did all of the yard work and supplied her family with whatever they needed. Her husband passed away at age 50, she never remarried, but stayed true to him even after his death. She was an amazing woman, and the most giving selfless person you could ever meet. Anyone who knew her could tell that she was a kind hearted woman and amazing mother to her children.

When her two boys started bands of their own, Minnie and her sister Lyla were always sure to be in the audience. Everyone loved when Minnie would join the bands on stage to sing a few songs and Yodel. Minnie Renn was blessed with many, many, many standing ovations.

As a grandmother she stayed very involved, passing on her amazing love and tenderness to all. She will be very missed by her family.

Minnie loved fishing and once was on the front page of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch doing just that. She got to live out her lifelong dream of seeing both oceans, and then making a visit to Washington DC, Arlington Cemetery, and John F. Kennedy’s Grave.

After a heart attack, and major heart surgery, Minnie spent her last year of life in the Bethany nursing home, of Brainerd, MN. Even in the nursing home, she kept entertaining. She played the accordion almost every week for her friends there, and was invited to sing with other bands that came to the home to entertain. Every Sunday Minnie’s son Ernie would take her with him to the Bridge Tavern where he and cousin Mark Petersen play Classic Country Music with the band known as “Wanted”. Minnie was a big hit with crowds everywhere she went, right up until the weeks before her passing.

Minnie gave more than she ever received in her lifetime. She has truly built her kingdom in heaven. The world has lost an amazing, humble, wonderful person, and she will be missed by everyone who had the honor of knowing her.
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 3:52 am    

Ernie, I'm so sorry for your loss..
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 6:19 am    

Ernie, my condolences to you and your family. Your Mom sounds like an amazing, wonderful woman.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 8:24 am    

My heartfelt synmapthy, Ernie.
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 8:51 am    

So sorry for the passing of your Mom...

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 10:27 am    

Ernie,
I am very sorry for the loss of your Mom. I remember her very well. She loved you very much and was very proud of you. How special it was for you to share the stage with her for so long. I remember the first time I met you was at a 4th of July parade in Randall. You had a single neck Emmons but you didn't play it because the volume pedal crapped out so you were playing a telecaster. I'll never forget how cool that was with you and your Mom up on the haywagon.
I'll keep you in my prayers.....steve
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 11:45 am    

Ernie,
What a wonderful obituary for that very special Lady in your life! May her legacy live on through many, many generations yet to come.....
God bless you always.
Donna
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 12:32 pm    

My deepest condolences on your loss.

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 2:03 pm    

so sorry ernie.
prayers to all the family & friends
bruce & lynn

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 4:26 pm    

So Sorry for your loss Ernie.

Roy Thomson
Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 7:13 pm    

Ernie
Sorry for your lose! I know that this is a great lose to you and hope you will always remember the good times with her.

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2014 8:14 pm     Mrs Minnie

Ernie, My condolences on your mother's passing. May she rest in peace and may God give you and your family and friends peace and comfort in the days ahead from your memories of the good times she brought you all. God bless you all.

Skip
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 3:21 am    

Ernie, Your headline is the same way I feel. Losing my mother was th worst day for me as well. Be assured God and time have a way of healing. May God continue to help you and your family in the days ahead.
Steven Cummings

Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 7:34 am     Sad day indeed...

Sounds like she put her all into her family. You are so very blessed to have had so much time here with your mom Ernie.. She has given to you greatly. Cherish her memory and follow her example. She lives on in you and in those whose lives she touched. You'll see her again in Heaven where the angels will be rejoicing.

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 9:13 am    

Sincere condolences. You'll remember her fondly in years to come, and smile. It's a tough time to go through, knowing she's not there every day. You sure had one fine mother, as did I. We sure ask a lot of them.

May she rest in peace.
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2014 3:06 pm    

Sorry for your loss Ernie
Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 9:59 am     Sincere Sympathy

Sorry to hear this Ernie.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 6:06 pm    

Ernie, may God comfort you and your family for the loss of your Mother. Her life lost here on earth is Heavens gain.

Don Euton
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2014 8:57 am    

Ernie, My sincere prayers and our condolences for your great loss.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 6:30 am    

Ernie, you did a very nice job of writing an an obituary. Try to remember the good times with your mother. I know now where you and Wayne get your talent! I have not seen you guys play in years, but it always was a treat. I am sorry for your loss, but again, remember the good times! You will be in my prayers.
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2014 10:40 am    

So sorry Ernie. It's never easy to give up a parent.
Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2014 8:51 am     So Sorry Ernie

Ernie,
I'm so sorry, I know how you feel, I buried my mother 10 years ago in November. Words can't explain, you are in my prayers,

Dan
Doug Garrick

Grand Junction, CO
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 11:09 am    

Ernie, we're so sorry for your loss. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts. -doug

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2014 2:33 pm    

It's always tough, I've lost both in the last few years. But, two things: They never leave completely, she's in you, with you and around you - as it should be. "Achieving closure" is a ridiculous idea - what ever for?

2) It sounds like she did a marvelous job with her life, and that's ALL anybody can really hope or ask for. Everything past age 50 or so is a freebie, as far as I'm concerned - we're kinda spoiled that way.
Ken Newman

maitland, Florida, /desmoines,ia
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2014 12:55 am     ernie~ minnie ann renn

ernie, having come from a family set of musicians , allows me a slightly different perception of your loss. will we continue to lose these wonderfully special family folks, or maybe we are never going to run out. music runs deep in more folks than we admit, then you have the quiet, star peoples like your mom that truly become the favourites because of the of love, and serious talents realized by other artists and fans. during her life she has met many with varied interests and has probably enhanced the meeting by her own family charm. your Minnie Ann Renn mom, will never be alone. stay tuned, kennyx