| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Model???
Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 10:05 am    

Hi can someone tell me the model of this Sho-Bud??? And value or what would be a decent price?

Last edited by Nicholas Ackron on 23 Jan 2014 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 10:37 am    

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 11:10 am    

It has a Bill Lawrence 705 Chrome Surround PU. Thanks!
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 11:29 am    

Have the pedals been moved more to the center of the guitar, or were they made like that for a while?

There seem to be a lot of extra holes in the body. Somebody was as experimental as I was with mine. Oh Well

Two of the knee levers were obviously added later, as they don't use racks. The stock 6139 only had one knee lever.

Also, no tone controls! Someone did a real nice job of covering the holes on top.

All in all, this is one of the best 6139's I've seen on the Forum. If I was in the market for an S-10, I'd pay $1200 for it.

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 12:00 pm    

Just MHO, since you asked about value. Consider me a Greek Chorus commenting on what I, a disinterested observer, have noticed of late.

A very clean original condition 6139 just sold on eBay for $1000 with only 2 bids. Another in the same shape is on the block starting at $1200 with two days and 0 bids to go.

Your guitar has been heavily, and not uniformly, modified with non-original parts. It looks completely serviceable as a player, but the modifications would give me pause as a buyer of clean instruments. So I would low-ball the offer so that the cost of restoring the instrument would bring the guitar up to the $1300-1600 I've seen multi-lever 6139's lately selling for.

Are you thinking about buying or thinking about selling? If you're selling, take b0b's offer Laughing If you're buying... well, if I was buying, I'd offer around $800 and spend a few hundred on the installation of correct parts, filling the holes in the undercarriage and flocking it, buffing the rack and endplates, et al.

But the horn by itself looks plenty playable, so if a player doesn't care about originality and condition and just wants a guitar that works, I'd say a grand to 1200 is about right for the end-user.

Again, just MHO.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 12:05 pm    

Possibly buying it soon, but its a package deal. It consists of a Goodrich VP 120, 2 bullet bars, 6 picks, original leg back, and case.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 3:16 pm    

Herb knows the market better than I do, so he's probably right about the value.

I never thought of a 6139 as a model that would benefit from original parts, or anything a collector would want. To me, all of the hacking looks like genuine improvements to playability (even though the undercarriage is a bit ugly). The non-original knee levers surely work better than rack levers, and I've always preferred Bill Lawrence's pickups over Sho-Bud's.

The fact that it's already set up with my copedent is also a plus to me. I have a bias that's pretty obvious.

My brand new 6139 cost me $695 in 1974, if memory serves me well. Handmade in Nashville, Tennessee.

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 3:55 pm    

It certainnly was/is eye candy
There something less "tableisque" about it. (that's a new word coined here on the forum, like all new words, out of need)
Are the changer pillow blocks integrally mounted on a plate with the pickup?
If so, it reminds me of the Telecaster.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 4:06 pm    

Top of the body looks too nice, so I'd say it's been refinished recently. Not that that's a bad thing, becuase this thing will never be "original" again. Smile

Pedal rods look like someone's been a hog-whippin' with 'em!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 4:31 pm    

Probably was refinished when the control holes were filled. Nicely done, too. Hard to see in the photo.

The volume pedal's probably worth a hundred itself.

Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 4:37 pm    

So price to sale would be $1000-$1200?
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 4:56 pm    

here's my disclaimer: I was/am simply voicing my opinion about what I only see photographs of; there could very well be mechanical problems that are not visible in photos. Caveat emptor.

Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 5:04 am    

I spoke with the owner yesterday and he got it appraised by Jackson Steels, and he was told its around the $1000-$1500 price range. I'm thinking about buying it next month, I'm really into MSA guitars, but would it be a great buy? I really appreciate the feedback!