| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Should I tune up my current guitar or buy a new one?
Jesse Varichak

Spokane
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 1:33 pm    

I currently have an early 80s Sho-bud Pro 1. It feels like a pretty solid guitar. But it has it's issues. Many in fact. My question is; is it worth repairing and giving it a makeover or am I better off biting the bullet and purchasing a higher end guitar?

Here are the issues:
A couple of the tuning nuts are stripped and need replacing. The problem is is there are 2 or 3 different rod sizes.
The bell cranks have been worn down quite a bit and need replacing.
After making as many adjustments as I can think of, when engaging the B pedal, the notes change at different rates, causing a loose feel.
Overall, the mechanics feel pretty loose (i.e. knee levers, pedals, bell cranks)
The 3rd string has very little volume. Is this the pickup or the string?
The F lever barely even has to travel in order to raise the pitch. This makes for not a very smooth travel between the two notes.

I guess I'm wondering if these issues, in particular the note transitions, are non-existent with the higher end guitars.
Also, what's the difference between them? Mullen, Fessenden, MSA, GFI etc.
Is it a matter of tone and/or mechanics?
I know it may seem strange to some, but I would prefer smooth transitions with the pedals and levers and generally better mechanics over great tone.

Any insight into these issues is appreciated.

Jesse.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 2:01 pm    

There's no right answer, only opinions. You'll get lots here. Smile

My vote is to keep the guitar. First, a Pro I or Pro II is one of the really great vintage guitars -- if it were something other than an old Bud or Emmons Push-Pull, I would say get a newer guitar. But you have something special there and it's worth fixing up.

It would be really helpful if you could sit down at a modern steel because you might see that some to the things you consider a problem are fairly common:

* The 3rd string is slightly softer than the others. Common issue.

* It takes very little travel for the F-lever to engage. Normal

* B-pedal doesn't raise strings 3 and 6 at the same rate. For me, this is a non-issue because I almost never have both those strings ringing at the same time. However, folks here on the forum can help you get that resolved, or at least get you as close as possible. It's all about the combination of bellcrank slot and hole in the changer...

So the real problem I see is that you need a few tuning nuts of different sizes. Very inexpensive fix.

As for the worn bellcranks, are they really affecting the pitch of the raise or lowers?

You're probably technically proficient enough to tighten up any slack in the pull train. A Bud can be set up to play smoothly. I think you'll like if you decide to fix it up.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 2:05 pm    

you've got a lot of 'reading up' on things to do.
Jesse Varichak

Spokane
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 2:15 pm    

Thanks for the good info tucker. Definitely has me thinking. And the B pedal comment had me laughing a bit. Very good point.
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 5:50 pm    

Jesse,

For a lot less money than you could get a new Pro guitar, you could send the Sho-Bud to Ricky Davis and have him set it up for you. It will come back looking beautiful with all parts working superbly.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can tackle it yourself - you can do as good a job as Ricky - in about 30 years, maybe! Haha! In the meantime, you can probably do an ok job. If you search the forum you can probably find a solution to every possible problem with a Sho-Bud. It gets a bit complicated because there were so many different iterations of Sho-Bud mechanicals, you need to make sure you are getting advice relevant to yours. If you don't have the time, or are not mechanically inclined, or just want to get it set up perfectly so you know what it can truly do, give Ricky a shout.

When I got my first old, beater Sho-Bud I was very surprised at how great it sounded and how playable it was/is compared to the newer-model guitars I have owned. There are some limits and unique problems for each of the Sho-Bud systems, but they can still be as good as anything out there - if not, you would not see so many pros (like Ricky and Lloyd) still playing them.

None of this is an argument AGAINST buying a new guitar - merely an argument for getting that old 'Bud back into top form - you will be glad you did! And NOTHING (well, except a vintage ZB or Bigsby) has the "ooh, ahh" factor of a vintage Sho-Bud up on the stage. You will sound better even before you play the first note!

Rock Island, Illinois
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 6:05 pm    

my guitar, my first and only guitar I've owned for about 18 months came to me out of adjustment. I have a 40 year old MSA guitar. I racked my head up against a wall so many times trying to adjust that sucker.

Three weeks ago I finally just tore it apart and re-rod the guitar. dis-asembled the changer and cleaned, polished it. It works great now. It's a bit nerve racking if you've never done it before but once you're done it wont seem mystical anymore. Like Bud Carter told me, "you can't hurt it and it only only goes back together one way"... Shipping the guitar will probably cost almost 2 hundred dollars alone.

I think if you re-rod your guitar according to a template some of your issues will be made acceptable. The Tuning machines will cost no more than 70 bucks to replace all 10 of them. I'm guessing somebody makes bell cranks and pull-rods for your guitar.

Do a search for Bud Carter and rod chart.

I swear I saw a some one posted a factory manual with the rod chart for showbuds.

Keep looking.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 6:43 pm    

Sho-Bud
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 11:04 pm    

Sho-Bud=Sho
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 1:51 pm    

If a new guitar gets you all fired up about steel again, get a new one. BUT, all your problems with your ShoBud are miner and easily fixed and, to me, ShoBuds are the steel worlds Harley Davidsons.RP

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 7:25 pm    

stuart..it took me a couple days, but i just got the joke!
i should have known with your mathematical mind.
Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 4:05 am    

I'm sure glad I hung on to my first guitar all these years.....an early seventies pro i. It was/is simple, inexpensive, easy to adjust and imbued with a great classic vibe. I'd use this forum to learn how to work on it.