| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where do you place your amp on stage?
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 11:33 am    

When I put my amp right behind me it seems too loud and stands out in the mix too much. I like it about 4 to 6 feet away so I can hear it in the mix better and set my volume. How about you guys/gals?

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 12:09 pm    

About 4 to 5 feet behind and off to one side, the left if space allows. I set it on a milk crate, although I like the sound on the floor if the band is not so loud that the definition gets lost.

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 1:00 pm    

I like mine set at almost a 45 degree angle from my right ear about 3 feet back. I usually sit it in a chair or what ever is available to get off floor. My left ear has lost most of the highs so right ear sounds better. Can't stand the sound of an amp on the floor unless it is really leaned back quite a bit.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Michael Schuppe

Kent, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 1:23 pm    

For me, what Henry just said to the "T".

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 5:08 pm     About amp placement on stage.................

My preference is 4-6 feet to my rear and more nearly parallel to left ear. Years ago, we used to tilt them upward at about a fifteen degree angle on a standard size chair or now, on a plastic crate.

Unable to get any sense of my playing via my right ear or when it's on the floor. I've determined my Peavey amps are quite DIRECTIONAL.........and if not properly placed, all sound can go right past me and I don't hear it properly.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 5:09 pm     About amp placement on stage.................

My preference is 4-6 feet to my rear and more nearly parallel to left ear. Years ago, we used to tilt them upward at about a fifteen degree angle on a standard size chair or now, on a plastic crate.

Unable to get any sense of my playing via my right ear or when it's on the floor. I've determined my Peavey amps are quite DIRECTIONAL.........and if not properly placed, all sound can go right past me and I don't hear it properly.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 5:33 pm    

well..when both ears were working, i usually found that about one foot out from my left shoulder and about two feet back was good, on the stage floor. angled slightly towards me, tilted back (not far enough to let it fall backwards, though). i've got a hard rubber wedge thing i throw under it.
i'd set it a little further back if i thought i needed to play louder.

and i'd try to get as faraway from loud band members as possible. this is usually the guitar player, but not always. sometimes it has been the bass player or the drummer. ...or the thrashing rythmn guitar played by the singer.
Bob Gibler

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 6:28 pm    

I place my Fender 100 WATT Twin behind me about 3 feet and to the left. It has such a great "CLEAR" sound when the tubes get warmed up. it gives The Wright quad life. I have tilted the amp back on the side stands but it sounded more treble to me. I like it better in the position I just described. Very Happy
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 6:53 pm    

I keep my Nashville 112 behind me onstage at steel guitar shows and when I play at church. At home, it stays beside me so I can turn it on, turn it off after playing, or adjust the steel's volume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 7:02 pm    

What Henry said. Hate an amp on the floor. Also, I try to put it on the side of me away from those damn drums. : )

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 10:25 pm     Where do you place tour amp on stage

I put my Peavey Nashville 112 about 4 feet behind me, on a Peavey amp stand. Perfect height and angle.
Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 2:47 am    

I built a light weight stand of wood that holds my Roland 80XL about a foot off the floor and angled back about 15 degrees. I usually place it 4-6 ft. back and a little to my right. My left ear is shot--it distorts loud sounds.
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 4:43 am    

Four or five feet right and to the rear. The guitar picker always lets me know when I'm too loud.

He and I have played together for forty plus years so he never hesitates in calling me down. He says the steel is always too loud. I think he is becoming a curmudgeon.

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 7:32 am    

I use an amp stand, generally pointing it at the singers head or towards the center, and I sit just out of the directional path close enough to adjust everything on the fly.

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 8:43 am    

Ive prob tried everything mentioned so far at one time or another, ive been using 2 amps or speakers for many years and had to have a little more volume in my rt ear, i think my rt ear has lost something from sitting left of the guitar player for so many years fighting for volume, now im on the oppisite side of guitar and bass, i have the nash 112 to my left rear on the floor tilted back about 45 degree 3-4 ft and the cube in front of me as a monitor and have been in seventh heaven since, wish i had done this yrs ago

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 9:00 am    

That's something, I put my amp up on a plastic milk crate too. That seems to be a common preference...getting the amp up off the ground. I'm thinking of hooking up an small external speaker to my amp to use as a monitor so I can keep the volume in the mix right and still hear myself.

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 9:15 am    

There is no right answer.

Depends on the answers to these (and other) questions:
Is your amp mic'ed?
One or two amps?
Other instruments / how much room on stage?
How do YOU like to hear yourself on stage?

My amp is usually in the PA, so I place one 3-4' beside me on my right, on either an amp stand or milk crate, pointed right at me. I like myself loud and can always hear myself plenty loud without messing with the stage volume. Out front, it's somebody else's game. I can't fret (no pun intended . . . ok, maybe a LITTLE pun) about what's coming out the fronts.

On a roomy stage I'll play through two amps, with one as described and the other facing the audience.

FWIW.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 9:47 am    

Four or five feet right and to the rear. The guitar picker always lets me know when I'm too loud.

He and I have played together for forty plus years so he never hesitates in calling me down. He says the steel is always too loud. I think he is becoming a curmudgeon.

The thing to do is ignore him, Bill. When he finally realizes he's being ignored, (this could take years) he'll lose the attitude... Laughing Winking
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 10:58 am    

Have any of you fellows ever used the thing that you set your amplifier own that has a piece of four inch piece of foam rubber glued to a board that fits under your amplifier? I think musicians friend used to have them. They were around $20, when you're amplifier is setting on one, it changes the tone of the speaker Cabinet. By isolating the sound waves from the cabinet to the floor.

Some of the guys like thechange of the sound, some don't.
All you need to make one is a piece of four inch foam rubber and a board.
Willie Sims
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 11:07 am    

willie..that probably works a little like the wedge i put under mine. it lifts the front edge a couple of inches and keeps the bass response off of the floor, making it a little clearer.
Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2014 2:48 pm    

I guess I'm weird but I find the perfect height to be the measurement from the floor to the bottom of my packaseat which is 9-10 inches I think. Don't like my amp on the floor. I like it up higher where I can hear it. But I don't like it in a chair where the sound is closer to my ear. Setting the amp on the steel case probably isn't the best thing, but that's the height I like my amp. Oh and I set it as far behind me on stage where I can hear it before the audience. It feels more comfortable
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2014 7:31 am    

Anyone remember when amps were placed in front pointing back at you. No I will not tell you my age. Laughing
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2014 10:15 am    

I have one set in front now facing me, great ambience

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2014 10:37 am    

On stage, I sit to the far right. I place my amp to the left, behind me, about 5 feet away, on the floor, tilted up a little. When I use my Fender Steel King, I pop out the back two casters and it tilts the amp back perfectly. The speaker baffle on my Evans amp is already tilted back at a nice angle.

I don't like having my amp at the same level as my ear, for two reasons. First, I don't want to lose any more of my hearing than I've already lost. Second, with the amp down on the floor I can hear a better blend of my guitar along with the other instruments.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Wayne Neal

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2014 12:22 pm    

Up on my road case back a couple of feet; between me and the drums Whoa!

I found out a long time ago if every one would get there amp up closer to their ears the stage volume will go down. Sitting amps on the floor will kill a drummer,steel man or any one who has to sit down there with them IMO.

We started doing this years ago and every place we play the bar tenders and owners like the fact that they dont have to tell us "turn down". Mr. Green