| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nice 1953 Mac Atcheson photo
Greg Germani

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 8:15 am    

Over in the Ga. State University's photos archives, I found this nice 1953 photo of Mac Atcheson (of the Peachtree Cowboys). They didn't have him identified, but thanks to the Mac Atcheson page on the Ga. Steel Guitar Association's webpage, it was easy to confirm his identity. I've emailed them and presumably, they'll update their caption soon. Sorry if this has already been posted here on the forum, but if it has, I missed it.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 5:38 pm    

Yes sir! He was the best and one of the most humble I have ever met. A great pedal player later on too!
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 6:34 pm    

Oh, what a wonderful photo. Thanks, Greg. I really miss Mac. He was a real treasure, and I'll be glad to have this photo!
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2014 12:14 am    

Here's another nice photo of Mac, note the pedal conversion on that Fender:

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2014 4:42 am    

Jussi,

That's The Peachtree Cowboy Band in Atlanta. At the Covered Wagon club I believe, late 50's probably. The fiddlers are Rural Parker and Mac's bother Bobby. You may recognize that the drummer is singer Jack Green. So this is before his run with Earnest Tubb for sure.

Somewhere I have cassette of 2 cuts that this band did for RCA but was never released according to Mac. The band plays "7th and Union" and Jack sings "You Only Know Me When You're Lonely", an Eddie Arnold hit I have been told.

Brother Bill Ferguson was very close to Mac and that's an understatement. Maybe he can share more info here. My mom has fond memories of watching this band on Atlanta Channel 2 tv as a nursing school student around 1955-57.

Great stuff and confirmation I was born at least 20 years too late!
Danny Spinks

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 11:32 am    

The picture of the Peachtree Cowboys brings back memories of a fun time in my life.

The other three members of the band are left to right
Paul Lunsford - bass, Roy Gentry - guitar, and Dude King - rhythm guitar.

I was in the Army and stationed in Atlanta from January 1960 till February 1961. I spent most of my Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights at the Covered Wagon. Mac and his family became lifelong friends.

After two years in France, I got out of the Army and decided to go to Atlanta to look for work. Dude King worked at channel 11 television, and was responsible for me getting a job at channel 11. Bobby Atcheson had also worked at channel 11, but by this time had moved over to channel 2 where Mac worked. And Jack Greene was working with Ernest Tubb and Dude King was now the drummer with the band.

My Army assignment during my time in Atlanta was as a member of the Third Army Circle A Wranglers. The Wranglers at that time included "Pappy" Burns, Jerry Reed, Earl White, and Woody Woodham. So this was a fun time in my life.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 11:48 am    

Mac was truely one of a kind. He exceled at anything he did. He always had a kind and helpful word for everyone. One of my fondest memories of Mac was an afternoon in his music room. I was still playing drums at the time, but had fallen in love with steel guitar. Mac listened to some of the things I was playing and told me, "You have really come a long way on steel, but if you want to be a steel guitarist, put the drums in the closet". Not long after that, I hooked up with a band that was willing to let me learn as I go, and the drums went in the closet. Thanks for the words of wisdom, Mac!
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2014 5:57 pm    

One of my regrets in life, is that I got into steel guitar too late to know Mac. But my personal hero, Charles Reece, made sure that I knew who Mac was.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2014 5:59 am    

Danny Spinks, thanks for filling in the blanks on the rest of the band. I couldn't remember. Hope you are doing well, sir. Hope to see you at one of our Atlanta shows again soon.