| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The first "LDG"
Jackie Anderson

Scarborough, ME
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 7:58 am    

I did not want to desecrate this thread with this question -- notwithstanding his own comments about the contribution that a particular instrument can make, we all know how much of Lloyd Green's wonderful sound comes from him -- but for the benefit of us mechanical junkies, do I correctly recall reading that his "1973" guitar was built on a cast aluminum "Crossover" frame?

[This message was edited by Jack Anderson on 19 September 2003 at 08:59 AM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 10:24 am    

Jack; Lloyd's LDG is all birdseye Maple and was built that way as the first LDG.
There was a prototype just before '73 that he had and it was a converted Crossover Shobud...as in the mechanics taken off the lower neck and pad put on.....and I believe we don't know where that guitar is....and to this day; Tommy White said that particular one, was his favorite sounding Shobud he's heard.
Ricky
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 10:51 am    

Which recordings was the prototype Sho-Bud used on?

Roger
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 1:23 pm    

I don,t know for sure about Lloyd's first LTD, But Ihave converted many "Crossovers" to LTD type and they sound great.With an aluminumn neck and a George L Pickup they will stand up to anything on the market.It is a lot more complicated to convert these compared to Professional, Pro 11 etc., but have never had anyone regret the change. Rd Naylor Steel Guitar Works
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2003 1:55 pm    

The LDG prototype was found by Bobbe Seymoure in a terrible condition. He had it rebuilt and refinished.Some parts were replaced, so it is not in the original condition anymore and has cometically changed somewhat.
I bought this guitar last year from Bobbe, it's a great playing and sounding guitar.
see these treads:
http://www.steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/000276.html and http://www.steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/001367.html and http://www.steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/003517.html

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

[This message was edited by Marco Schouten on 20 September 2003 at 02:58 PM.]

Marco Schouten

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2003 9:05 am    

Roger, the LDG prototype was used on Lloyd's albums Lloyd Green and his Steel Guitar and on Shades of Steel. At that time it was still a double neck. It has also been used on over 2000 sessions.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2003 12:00 pm    

Well Marco I wouldn´t be too sure that yours is actually Lloyd´s original. I have that album, "Lloyd Green And His Steel Guitar" and there´s a picture of Lloyd on the back sitting at the guitar and you can clearly see that it has a distinctive "tiger stripe" pattern on the front. I don´t think you can erase that by refinishing. From the pictures of yours that I´ve seen, I recall it is not like that at all. Also, the front cover of the album, even though it´s somewhat artsy, shows that it had the metal changer housings like the Professional (IF it is the same guitar) while yours has the "wraparound" design. There are several Crossovers in circulation that have been converted like that. Someone - I think Ed Naylor - said there were quite a number of them and he himself did several.
But then it really doesn´t matter anyway, your guitar is still very pretty and a piece of ShoBud history in it´s own right and should sound great and play great with the Marrs undercarriage.

Regards, Joe H.

[This message was edited by Joe Henry on 21 September 2003 at 01:11 PM.]

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2003 12:34 pm    

You can't change the stripes on a tiger and likewise you can't change to the stripes in Tiger maple. Lloyd has a picture of the guitar in question hanging in his office. It is the original "real deal" and according to him, it's whereabouts are still unknown. I believe he would be the authority on this subject more so than anyone else.
Marco Schouten

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2003 8:49 am    

There is a very high-shining coat of laquer on the guitar. On the pictures you only see reflections instead of the detail in the wood. I'll try to make better pictures with better light and post them someday.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2003 1:42 pm    

On lloyds Starday album"The Hit Sounds" the photo is a D10 Fingertipper with A Heart on the front and a Plate with "MR Green" on the keyhead end . This was recorded in October 1966.This is before the "Baldwin" Crossover came out around 1968. Ed
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2003 3:43 pm    

Hey Ed,

My mom has a pic of Lloyd playing that guitar from around the same time that the '66 photo was taken. It was in the studio when he backed her on some Topic Records recordings. I had planned to get that photo blown up and have him sign it at the convention this past year, but I couldn't make it. Maybe next year. Was that the same guitar he used on the Panther Hall album with Charlie Pride???

Thanks,

Skeeter Klott
Grand Rapids Mi.

[This message was edited by forrest klott on 22 September 2003 at 04:44 PM.]

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2003 5:15 pm    

Forrest,

No it's not the same guitar. The one in the picture Ed was talking about was Lloyds first Sho~Bud. It was a permanent. The guitar he played on the Panther Hall album was his sunburst fingertip. It was after that he had the crossover that he had Shot take the back neck off and put a pad on, then he got the first L.D.G. made which he still plays.
I know he cut "Borrowed Angel" with the crossover as well as some early Milsap records such as "I Hate You".
The fingertip beside the Panther Hall album was on "Four In The Morning" and "Leavin' And Sayin' Goodbye" by Faron Young.
There is not enough space here or time to put all the records Lloyd's four Sho~Buds were on.

Mike