| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning
Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2014 12:43 pm    

I check the tuning on my steel every time I play it. Sometimes almost all the strings are a little sharp, while other times they are a little flat. Never some sharp and some flat. I have a GFI SD-10 3+4. I just wondered if anybody else was experiencing the same thing.
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2014 3:24 pm    

Hey Jack, I too had this issue with my GFI EXPO S-10. Found it frustrating to say the least but finally determined to the best of my ability and knowledge to be ambient temperature as a possible and plausible cause. I learned to let it warm a bit and the tuning stabilized . When the temp was up I had to tune down and that in turn just caused a see-saw effect. So I was advised to cover it when not in use and that helped a lot. If I were guessing I would say that it is a mass and lighter material thing. I didn't keep it long and lost on the resale. But that's life. Mr. Green Hope this helps. JMHO
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2014 3:29 pm    

Play a song to warm up the strings before you tune.

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2014 3:58 pm    

Very Happy I have heard some players say this . Whoa! When they set up their steel they '' never ''have to touch up their tuning at all ! Sometime i wonder who they think they are fooling ? Just Sayin .
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2014 4:14 pm    

b0b wrote:
Play a song to warm up the strings before you tune.

RIGHT !
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2014 5:12 pm    

I have a Dekley D-10 that I played as my main guitar for almost a year and it was in the same room under all the same circumstances as my GFI. In that year of time only twice did I have to tune a string on it and that was due to my 3 year old grandson and his curiosity. It was according to my Strobo Flip tuner , spot on any time I sat down to play and practice and that was every day. Very few days that I missed practice. I can't say that about my Sho-Bud, and if I would change the nylon tuning nuts it would hold tune as well. That's on my "to-do" list. Not wanting to start a debate about Brands, just saying that there is something about the older and heavier instruments. JMHO Mr. Green
Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2014 6:29 pm     tuning

Thanks guys.The temperature thing makes sense. I'll try playing a little bit before I tune.

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2014 2:39 am    

Strings are pretty conductive, so you can warm them quite quickly and evenly with the flats of your hands. But I guess playing is more interesting.