| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Geo Location Error?
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 10:36 am    

Here's one that might be interesting......

Recently tried to view allowed free content on the ABC television network and its partner WatchABC. Continually I get an error message to the effect I'm not located in the USA therefore not allowed to view anything on the site.

Via email I discussed this with ABC, their initial thought it would be an easy fix. They directed me to the site whatismyipaddress.com and I copied those results to ABC's help desk. (Oddly enough that site shows me situation in my actual home town of Columbus, Ohio.) Shortly thereafter ABC informed me the error was my ISP's problem, I should contact them for resolution.

Talking with my ISP they of course say their own investigation shows me fully in the USA, that the problem must be with a third party geo-locator ABC uses who is in error. BTW I have DSL through AT&T phone lines.

Anyone ran into this sort of thing or know of a fix or cure? It's not a huge issue but one I find very interesting even if a bit inconvenient.

Thanks all!
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 10:43 am    

Please post a link to the content you are trying to view. I and maybe others in the USA can try viewing it and see if we get a geo-location error as well. If so, ABC needs to contact Geo-IP.com, or whomever maintains the IP to Location tables about the problem.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 10:55 am    

Here 'tis: http://watchabc.go.com/happy-new-year-charlie-brown/SH55103191/VDKA0_pe1hi7j9/happy-new-year-charlie-brown Pretty steamy content yes? Smile

Also just attempted to buy a CD from SGF, used PayPal and the opening page was in French, Google Chrome offering to translate for me! This has happened before recently although that purchase was never completed---I had to go through the check out process to get shipping charges. Those killed that sale.

Thanks Wiz et al!
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 11:18 am    

Good to go in KY
Wink
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 11:52 am    

All is working normally for me in Flint, Michigan, on Comcast.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 11:57 am    

I noticed that coming January 6, you will have to sign in with your ISP account from your TV service provider, to watch ABC content withing a week of the original air date. For me, that is Xfinity-Comcast.

If you aren't accustomed to using your (ISP) cable/DTV/DN,etc. credentials, look at your TV bill, or contact their tech support to obtain your official primary user name and password. You'll need to have your account number and probably the last four of your soc.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 12:07 pm    

J.W.;
What browser are you using when you get the Geo-IP errors? If Firefox, if you use NoScript, enable scripting for ABC or whatever base domain you are having problems with. All Geo-IP calculations are performed using JavaScript, which is blocked by default in NoScript (unless you allow it for that domain).
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 1:17 pm    

Wiz I'm using Google's Chrome. I've disabled the Java function for that browser---might have to adjust something in Chrome to get past the Geo-Error thing then?

Also I don't have any pay-TV and do realize the future requirements to access recent content. I'll never go the cable/satellite TV route and am content to view not-so-recent content.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 1:43 pm    

J W Alexander wrote:
Wiz I'm using Google's Chrome. I've disabled the Java function for that browser---might have to adjust something in Chrome to get past the Geo-Error thing then?

Also I don't have any pay-TV and do realize the future requirements to access recent content. I'll never go the cable/satellite TV route and am content to view not-so-recent content.

I just opened your ABCTV online link in Chrome and it played the video as expected.

This has nothing to do with the Java Virtual Machine plug-ins. This is all about JavaScript, which has absolutely no technical relationship to Java.

There is an extension for Chrome, called ScriptNo, which blocks JavaScript by default. Do you have it installed in your Chrome browser? If so, try allowing the ABC website to run scripting.

Also, download the current version of Firefox, import your bookmarks and cookies and try watching ABC on Firefox. If it fails on that browser, your router may have been hijacked by a DNS Changer hijack attack. Try resetting your router to factory default, then add a new Admin password and setup new WPA2 security codes. Verify with your ISP that the router is using their DNS servers.
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 2:09 pm    

I checked for the extension ScriptNo and its not part of my version of Chrome.

I'll check with my ISP Thursday morning whether my router is still functioning per their DNS servers. I'll report what I find.

Thanks so much guys---maybe I'm making some progress.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 2:14 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:

There is an extension for Chrome, called ScriptNo, which blocks JavaScript by default. Do you have it installed in your Chrome browser? If so, try allowing the ABC website to run scripting.

Wiz,

Scriptno doesn't show up when I search for it in

chrome://extensions/

then click "more extensions" then search

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/scriptno?hl=en-US

There is a scriptno extension here
https://code.google.com/p/scriptno/downloads/list
Is that what you are recommending ? It is basically a bunch of .js files and some icons. I don't see how to install it.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 2:15 pm    

Chrome's "Tools" menu contains an entry called "JavaScript console". Is that what I should be trying to destroy?
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 2:19 pm    

Wiz, many sites assume I am in Las Vegas NV, even tho I am in Los Angeles CA. For example Google News gives weather and ads for Las Vegas. Other sites, not Google-related, also show Las Vegas ads.

My ISP shows up as Los Angeles (correct). For example http://www.whatismyip.com/ correctly shows Los Angeles.

The wrong location (Las Vegas) happens with Chrome and Firefox. I even tried Internet Explorer once, and it said Las Vegas too.
It happens on the Windows computers and the Linux computer. How can I change that?

Last edited by Earnest Bovine on 1 Jan 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 2:22 pm    

Leave JavaScript alone, but disable the Java plug-in, keep Adobe Flash (& Shockwave if you use it), Air and Reader up to date. Chrome itself must be updated when Flash is updated, so make sure Chrome is set for automatic updates.

DNS hijacking is serious business for cyber criminals. It would explain why a geo-ip script thinks that a visitor in the US actually resides in the Ukraine or Romania.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 3:19 pm    

J W Alexander wrote:
I checked for the extension ScriptNo and its not part of my version of Chrome.

I'll check with my ISP Thursday morning whether my router is still functioning per their DNS servers. I'll report what I find.

Thanks so much guys---maybe I'm making some progress.

Your current DNS servers can be determined by opening a Command windows and typing in:

ipconfig /all

Press Enter and look at the bottom area of the readout for DNS 1 and DNS 2 and write them down. When you speak with your ISP's tech support, give them your DNS numbers and ask if they are correct.

In the meanwhile, scan for DNS Trojans using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I have a writeup about MBAM, with download links, on my website, if you prefer.

MBAM will find a DNS Changer if one is installed in your computer, but not if it has infected/altered your router (or modem-router combo). Only IPCONFIG or online tests will reveal your DNS and comparing it to what should be will reveal if it has been changed behind your back.

Most of the successful DNS redirections installed in routers happen when the router still has the default, or no administrator password, and/or remote administration enabled, Plug-N-Play enabled, the firewall bypassed on certain ports and no WPA2 or stronger security code.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 3:41 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:

Your current DNS servers can be determined by opening a Command windows and typing in:

ipconfig /all

Press Enter and look at the bottom area of the readout for DNS 1 and DNS 2 and write them down.

ipconfig DNS points to the router 192.168.2.1
The router says DNS is automatic from ISP and shows
and 8.8.8.8
which should be OK I think?
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2014 3:55 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Wiz Feinberg wrote:

ipconfig /all

Press Enter and look at the bottom area of the readout for DNS 1 and DNS 2 and write them down.

ipconfig DNS points to the router 192.168.2.1
The router says DNS is automatic from ISP and shows
and 8.8.8.8
which should be OK I think?

Whois 208.67.222.222 ?

resolver1.opendns.com

Your router is configured to use Opendns, rather than your own ISP's servers. This is something that the user must do. I use opendns on my router. But, that is not standard behavior. Normally, the router receives the DNS server info from your ISP, along with its IP address.

You can learn more about OpenDns at http://www.opendns.com/

To revert to your ISP's DNS system, simply delete the 208.x.y.z values from the DNS server fields, then save the changes. The router will cycle and look for your ISP to supply its own server numbers.

Afterward, reboot your computer so it also receives the new DNS server info.

More details about opendns:

OrgName: OpenDNS, LLC
OrgId: OPEND-2
Address: 145 Bluxome st.
City: San Francisco
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 94107
RegDate: 2008-02-26
Updated: 2013-10-13
Comment: http://www.opendns.com/
Comment: Use OpenDNS to make your Internet faster, safer,
Comment: and smarter.
Comment: DNS Servers: 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
Comment: IPv4/IPv6 Peering: